LP Style project

It looks like you'd want the Vintage tuning machine route for the Waverly tuners I looked at on Stewart MacDonald
The description read as follows:
"Waverly tuners featuring solid brass tuner knobs, old style tapered 1/4"-diameter string posts and the press-fit brass hex bushings fit 11/32"-diameter pegholes. Screws included."

I'm not sure if there are different sizes of Waverly's or what have you, I just looked at one source that I knew carried them, and at ONE style at that.

AutoBat said:
It looks like you'd want the Vintage tuning machine route for the Waverly tuners I looked at on Stewart MacDonald
The description read as follows:
"Waverly tuners featuring solid brass tuner knobs, old style tapered 1/4"-diameter string posts and the press-fit brass hex bushings fit 11/32"-diameter pegholes. Screws included."

I'm not sure if there are different sizes of Waverly's or what have you, I just looked at one source that I knew carried them, and at ONE style at that.

Yeah, I looked at stewmac also for the specs but the thing I'm not sure about is that the gotoh/grover hole size from warmoth have a 11/32" size on the top of the headstock so I wonder if a vintage style tuner like the waverly would fit in it or if the bottom part of the hole in the headstock would cause some problems because of the loose... am I being clear? It's hard to explain...

I'm asking cause I'd like to order 2 set of tuners, one waverly set and one gotoh set, then I would compared them, see which one looks better with my guitar, which one feels better...etc.

GUITAR ORDERED!

I finally decided to try the waverly, they look stuning to me, if they don't work like I want I can always make the tuner holes bigger to accomodate another tuner.

So yeah, I ordered my guitar with some of the hardware.

Carved LP Body, Black Korina *extra heavy weight* one piece body with flame maple top. Cream binding, Gold top Gold top finish with Black/Brown/Yellow Burst for sides and back, this cost twice as much but it's gonna be insane (at least to my eyes)
Wenge neck, raw, with ebony fingerboard, cream binding, trapezoid pearloid inlay, 12" radius, 22 frets, warmoth pro constuction with 25 1/2" scale lenght, 1 1/16" nut width, white tusq nut.

Hardware up to now consists of: Tone Pro TOM and STP, cream pickup mounting ring, strap buttons, screws, amber knobs and toggle switch cream plate...
I will add a custom engraved neck plate, threaded neck inserts screw, RS guitar works pots, pickup of course (still a lot to check for that), waverly vintage style tuners, cream pickguard that I will have to sand apparantly (anybody knows a pickguard that would fit a warmoth body with no sanding?) and that's all I can think of for now.

It feels great to start this project!

Hey, congrats! Sounds like a good spec. I can't wait until I start my own first project :icon_thumright:

solid gold on a flamed maple cap? what a waste... other specs look great, no biggy there :)

The old Gibbys had maple caps, but not curly. That's an expensive piece of wood to cover up, and there's no tonal advantage to it.

kböman said:
IIRC, Warmoth only do flamed maple for guitar tops, not flamed. Strange but true.

Not sure what you're trying to say there.

Come on guys, stop bitching, I would've take a plain maple top but warmoth don't offer plain maple, that's the only reason why I went with flame maple.

I meant "plain", sorry. Looking forward to this build, gold top + BK will look interesting!

I received my neck today, the body should arrive soon too apparantly, I hope so.
Anyway, the neck looks STUNNING!

The binding is super well made, worlds appart from a gibson binding, the wood looks beautiful, the frets are well cut and the wood feel very different to the touch, I'll have to actually play it to tell if I like it better or not than a finished neck.
I decided to use waverly tuners, they also should be here in a couple of days.

I'll post some pics when I assemble it.

Today I received my Waverly tuners and tonight I installed them, I'm proud of myself I did a good job, they're all straight and they look really nice, better than I thought they would.

I didn't install the truss rod cover yet, the one supplied by warmoth looks big and not too good to me on the wenge headstock...
Anybody knows where I could buy a better looking truss rod cover that would fit my neck? Any idea what would look good on the wenge? All black right now looks kindda bad on the wenge headstock and I don't like the shape of the warmoth one, I prefer the bell shaped ones, maybe one with a white ply under a black ply would look better.

I'd really like some suggestions!
Thanks in advance.

Back