LP Style project

Steve_Karl said:
2) I've taken to wearing a leather work glove when tightening the locking nut to avoid "road rash" on my delicate skin. :)

You're kidding, right? If not, how tight are you trying to get the things? You're not torquing lug nuts on a Humvee, you're just trying to get a grip on a little string that's only going to pull back about 15 or 20 lbs or so, worst case. When you consider the mechanical advantage you have with a 3/4" knurled nut turning down a post that's probably less than .100" in diameter, you probably need to use less force on those tuners than you do screwing on a ketchup bottle top <grin>

i haven't had either of those gotcha's with my set.
they're just damn near perfect!

Cagey said:
Steve_Karl said:
2) I've taken to wearing a leather work glove when tightening the locking nut to avoid "road rash" on my delicate skin. :)

You're kidding, right? If not, how tight are you trying to get the things? You're not torquing lug nuts on a Humvee, you're just trying to get a grip on a little string that's only going to pull back about 15 or 20 lbs or so, worst case. When you consider the mechanical advantage you have with a 3/4" knurled nut turning down a post that's probably less than .100" in diameter, you probably need to use less force on those tuners than you do screwing on a ketchup bottle top <grin>

Not kidding. And I'm not tightening them too much. Just enough. I just don't like the scuff marks. If I'm going to buff my finger tips I do it with an emory board ...
not my cement porch steps.  :p

AutoBat said:
i haven't had either of those gotcha's with my set.
they're just damn near perfect!

It was only 1 out of 6 that was loose. For a while it made me think the nut was binding.
Other tuners, when the adj. screw is loose, you can feel it when turning the knob.
These aren't like that. One can be loose enough to cause backlash, but still feel the same, when turning the knob, as the ones that are properly adjusted.

Steve_Karl said:
Cagey said:
Steve_Karl said:

Not kidding. And I'm not tightening them too much. Just enough. I just don't like the scuff marks. If I'm going to buff my finger tips I do it with an emory board ...
not my cement porch steps.   :p

Buff your fingertips??? Do you wax your taint also???

Ha haaa ... No.

But occasionally my calluses get a bit thick and the result is that my playing gets a bit thick also ... as in less sensitivity.
I wouldn't expect a cave man to get that so don't trouble yourself about it. :)

Thanks guys, I heard the sperzel quality went down in recent years compared to schaller, anybody had issues with theirs?
I like the fact that they are lighter than the schaller and they also have a look that would fit nicely on a LP headstock.

I wanna make sure the LP wenge neck won't be too heavy and if it can look cool at the same time that'd be great.

What about standard "non-locking" tuners?

The weight and tone of locking tuners make me a bit unsure about them.

Also, I really like the look of the tulip tuners like on the Gibson LP R7 for example but they didn't seem good when I tried them.
Anybody tried the grover and gotoh keystone, are they better than the gibson deluxe tuner?

Let me know if that whole vintage tuner thing is a good idea or not.
I'm ready to order my body and neck but I need to decide what tuner holes to get first.

Thanks

Steve_Karl said:
These are nice: http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-SG38-Tuners-C727.aspx
and smaller and lighter than the Schaller locking.

I have them on 2 guitars.

Are they any better than the keystone style vintage tuner? Cause like I said I really like the look of the keystone style tuners, if they suck though I'll pass, I just need some opinion.
Would it be a good idea to order my neck with the vintage sized holes and then countersink them if I ever decide to get modern tuners?
thanks

I just sold a Les Paul Studio that had the Keystone kind on it. The gotoh are just as accurate.
What I don't like about the keystone kind is that it's possible to bend the stem below the knob by banging it into something.
I had that happen on an old LP I had way back.

I'd not want to have to fix the holes for the tuners after the fact.
I'd just get the Gotoh and be done with it.

They look great on my strat and on my Ovation Adamas.

Steve_Karl said:
I just sold a Les Paul Studio that had the Keystone kind on it. The gotoh are just as accurate.
What I don't like about the keystone kind is that it's possible to bend the stem below the knob by banging it into something.
I had that happen on an old LP I had way back.

I see what you mean, I'll be careful with them if I get the keystone.

In your opinion, did they feel as solid and smooth as a modern style tuner like the gotoh?

And concerning the locking tuner, do you hear any tonal difference?

There's no way for me to know about the tonal difference because I've not tried each version on the same guitar.

The keystones that were on my recent LP were less of a ratio ... but they still felt good.

Steve_Karl said:
There's no way for me to know about the tonal difference because I've not tried each version on the same guitar.

The keystones that were on my recent LP were less of a ratio ... but they still felt good.

I see, thanks for the help.

As far as accuracy goes, I have a Peterson VS-1 tuner, and it's very precise, and the Gotoh and the Shaller and also the Keystone that came with my LP Studio are/were all easy to get perfectly in tune.

Very good to know.

The only concern I have with the vintage tuner is that they seem to get "loose" over a certain period of time compared to the modern tuners, well that has been my experience but the keystone look so good...
Hard choice.

What about the Waverly Guitar Machines with Vintage-style Knob? Those are usually used on acoustic guitars but they are apparantly extremely good and would probably look good on a LP?
Any thought about that?

I'm pretty much set on 2 tuners right now, waverly or gotoh 510.

If I order my neck with the gotoh/grover tuner hole size, will the waverly vintage style fit in them or will the loose at the bottom cause some issues?

Back