LP arrived and complete! (YAFT)

leinad

Hi all, been enjoying looking at all the out of the boxes and completions here.
So after all the lurking  I am very happy to show my own project now completed after the neck arrived last week  :hello2:

This is a showcase body mahogany with quilt maple top and a mahogany/ebony neck. The pickups are the SD Jeff Beck and Jazz combo. Anyone else have the idea that the JB kinda chokes a little on heavy open power chords?  The neck pickup sounds great though. I love how the neck plays, exactly what I was hoping for

One problem though, the strings detune very fast. I assumed that PW tuners would be very solid, any general tips on how to prevent this? I especially have a problem with the g-string detuning.

enjoy!
-Daniel

Attachments

• lp1.jpg
    lp1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 349
Sounds to me like your string nut needs a little work.  Tuners don't slip when strung properly, even cheap ones.  BTW, that is an absolutely GORGEOUS guitar.  I love green guitars (minority here), and that dyed, flamed maple top is awesome on that LP.  One day I'm gonna have to build me one of them there puppies!

-Rose

Stringing properly is a good thing - you want MINIMAL wraps on the post.  If strung up properly, even less than one wrap (on wound strings) will hold just fine.  I go two wraps or so on plain strings.

www.frets.com has a section on how to string up properly.  Go there, follow the advice.

The nut may have a problem... but Warmoth nuts are cut wide enough, so I doubt it, unless you're using REALLY heavy strings (11's or 12's).

STRETCH in the string.  PULL IT UP at fret 12... a good few inches or so, that will seat things in - you might find thats all it needs.

Tuners do not slip.  Strings slip.

Nice LP dude! green is cool, I have a green tele.

I see you have a MM bass, whats the other stuff you got? a bouzouki and something else.

Brian

Awesome guitar dude, green is killer.

If your strings are getting bound up in the nut try using some Big Bends Nut Sauce :headbang:

I love that color. I never imagined the gold would pop so well with a body of such insane, awesome color. Enjoy that axe man!  :hello2:

Cheers guys! Green and gold do go well together, wasn't sure myself if it would work, but it turned out nice.
Tuners shouldn't slip and I don't think these do, so it must be the string. I do not have any wraps at all on all the strings, should I maybe give one or two on the plain ones (I thought less was better, the PW are ideal for that)? I don't want to touch the nut, it 'looks' perfect.

The MM belongs to the missus,  I am the warwick man, just to the left of the MM (I am actually a bass player, but I wanted a decent guitar for recording). The instrument on the left is the Turkish saz, look for a soundbite on the net and you will immediately recognize the sound.

- Daniel

I love that color scheme.  If I ever do another project, I may try something like that.

I don't like Duncan JB pickups much at all.  They're really popular but I find they don't effectively push my amp into a nice tight crunch.  It seems it doesn't push the right anound of highs or mids or maybe the peak isn't sharp enough, I don't know.  I find Dimarzios are better at driving the sound I want, which is tight and controlled without being buzzy or too saturated.  I've actually tried the Duncan JBs twice and swapped them out both times. 

Not usually a fan of green, but it works on this build!  Sweet matching headstock too! :headbang1:

Back