Looking for opinions on the Musiclander body shape....

boon

.....in regards to weight, comfort, and balance. Will it weigh more or less than a Stratocaster counterpart? Is there less chance of "neck dive" with the Musiclander?

Stratocasters are already less prone to neck dive (than telecasters), I wouldn't worry about neck dive on a strat or musiclander. I'm not sure about the weight though.

Pretty sure the Musiclander is somewhat smaller than the Strat overall, to the extent it approximates the Fender Swinger it is modeled on. I candidly don't know whether Warmoth tried to make a one-to-one match, or if the Musiclander is somewhat larger than the Swinger. The Swinger was made from leftover Duo-Sonic blanks when CBS took over Fender, so - if Warmoth's dimensions are the same as Fenders, and depending on the wood species you choose - it will likely weigh less than, or be within normal weight-range of, a Stratocaster.

I wonder if it is possible to order a contour heel on the Musiclander. This option does not appear in the online builder.

In regard to the weight, just go to the warmoth website, look at the weight of a couple musiclander bodies, then compare them to a couple of strats.

Pretty sure there are none in stock, Rick - I went looking for them yesterday and couldn't find any.

Okay, I was wrong - there is no choice for musiclander on the pull-down menu to select the various models, but there ARE musiclander bodies in stock if you search for them. Behold, no Musiclanders:

1689735405873.png

But if I search, I get a product page and a few in-stock bodies:
1689735491646.png

I guess the question for me is whether Warmoth intends to phase out the Musiclander, and that's why it's not on the main body menu; or if it's merely an inadvertent omission.

Thanks for the replies guys. (y)
How about comfort? This shape looks super comfortable when sitting, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Is there a way to look at ALL in-stock bodies at the same time and sort them? If I remember correctly the old website allowed us to do that. AND you could even sort by weight.

I know it wont happen due to lack of potential sales... but I would love to buils a bass with this body shape.

@bagman67 normally I would insist on it being sent to me for QC, but I cannot be bothered with the voltage conversion and I am contemplating a downsized dwelling. In all seriousness, well done, it looks like you are building up a useful shop.

About the body shape not appearing in the dropdown menu, there are also many of the other body shape offerings that are not in that menu but are on the main page. Perhaps it is the more popular shapes in the dropdown for space considerations.

Thanks, @stratamania . I am very happy that my shop is coming together so well. Alas, it's been 115 F lately in southern Nevada, and my garage is not air-conditioned. So I can't work in there for more than an hour or so at a stretch without dying until probably mid-September. But the bandsaw is fully assembled and mounted on a mobile base. The pallet it came in on has been broken down. I have only to fine-tune the blade guides and tracking and we'll be in production mode.

@bagman67 wow, 115F is about 46C. Earlier this month we have had days over 30C here, which without airco were not pleasant, but 115F/46C and then being in a garage, would be too much for anyone.

I know it wont happen due to lack of potential sales... but I would love to build a bass with this body shape.
So would I. You can make a sub-short scale bass with almost any Warmoth guitar body. The baritone conversion neck has a 28.625" scale length, just like a Squire Mini-P bass. Labella winds flats for that bass.

Order the body with no bridge rout. Warmoth can rout the pickup cavities for humbuckers or TV Jones bass pickups (which are the same size as their guitar pickups), anything else...there's lots of router templates available.

Order a tiltback paddlehead baritone scale conversion neck, tuner holes and shape of the headstock are up to you. Order the neck without a nut and use a P-bass nut which is the same (43mm) width.

That's my plan, anyway. Subject to change should any information come to light that rules it out.

Back