looking for a good p90 pickup.

t0m

im looking at the  riogrande  and lindy fralin p90s. any others I should be considering?

Actually... good ol' Gibson is good.

Keep in mind - the winding varies hugely on P90s.  Most are Alnico V and most use 42gauge wire.  I cant vouch for the insulation.

Fralin will wind from about 7000 to 10000 turns, and that yeilds about 7k to 10k.  YOUR APPLICATION of the P90 is important!  Trust me here!  Thinline vs solid vs hollow.  Bridge vs neck.  And the tone you expect.

Give me some particulars, I've got a lot of experience with P90s, Phat Cats, P94s, and RG Bastards.

t0m said:
any others I should be considering?
P90's made Lollar famous... the most praised P90's the last couple years. Never heard them though... :sad:
http://lollarguitars.com/Pickups.htm

I am looking for  a hot p90 sound. 

i play mostly blues but I wanna make  a guitar  with a little less twang than my  swamp  ash tele w/barden blades.

i am planning on  a  hollow body VIP  with  a black korina body and a wenge neck/fretboard on a 24 /34 scale.

its  gonna be a raw finish  and aesthetically I wanna  try to  get by without  doge ears or mounting  rings so I wanna  try  to keep  with more of the soap bar mounting style.. ( but not necessarily appearance)

i also  saw some emgs that might fit the bill but  i have no  experience with emg.
http://www.emginc.com/productimages/P91.jpg

You might want to check out the phat cat by seymour duncan. It's a p90 that fits in a regular sized humbucker slot.

Phat Cats are the call for the player looking for output and high-end response. The tone is big, fat, and punchy with enhanced upper-mids for extra "cut." Like traditional P-90s, Phat Cats embody a true single coil design with two sand cast Alnico magnets and single conductor, braided shield, hookup cable. The short, flat bobbins account for the fatter, midrange-intensive tone; and the nickel-silver cover reduces 60-cycle hum and tames the raggedness sometimes associated with P-90s.

Phat Cats are available in neck and bridge calibrated positions, and with either nickel or gold plating on their nickel-silver cover. When used together in the neck-plus-bridge position, both pickups will be hum-canceling.

Phat Cats are vacuum wax potted for squeal-free performance. Mounting hardware (screws and springs) is included, as is a detailed wiring diagram. Phat Cats are hand built in Santa Barbara, California.

For more information, visit their web site at www.seymourduncan.com.

If you're looking for a hot P90 sound... shy away from Phat Cats.  I've installed this in an ES-333 (like a 335), and in a Strat (for a friend).  They tend to run toward the "sweet" side of the P90 tone pallet.  They've got ok output, but the tone isn't "thick" like a hot P90 is.  The low is is tight, but not very heavy.  They have a distinct "near Fender" tone to them.  Very musical, very well suited to many styles (esp in guitars like the ES-333 or ES-335).

A better choice for a HB sized P90 is Gibson's own P94, if you're looking for a "hot" thick tone.  I've personally used the P94 and it screams.  First tiem I installed one, I had my amp (Super Reverb at the time) set up for how I liked my Strat to sound, and at "Strat livingroom volume" (about 2-1/2).  Got the P94 wired in a Tele... tuned up with the volume off, plugged into the amp and just about fall over.  They're hot.

The Rio Grande Fat Bastard or Covered Fat Bastard is also a good choice.

Phats are nice, just not the hot tamale of P90 wannabe's in HB sized.

-CB- said:
If you're looking for a hot P90 sound... shy away from Phat Cats.  I've installed this in an ES-333 (like a 335), and in a Strat (for a friend).  They tend to run toward the "sweet" side of the P90 tone pallet.  They've got ok output, but the tone isn't "thick" like a hot P90 is.  The low is is tight, but not very heavy.  They have a distinct "near Fender" tone to them.  Very musical, very well suited to many styles (esp in guitars like the ES-333 or ES-335).

A better choice for a HB sized P90 is Gibson's own P94, if you're looking for a "hot" thick tone.  I've personally used the P94 and it screams.  First tiem I installed one, I had my amp (Super Reverb at the time) set up for how I liked my Strat to sound, and at "Strat livingroom volume" (about 2-1/2).  Got the P94 wired in a Tele... tuned up with the volume off, plugged into the amp and just about fall over.  They're hot.

The Rio Grande Fat Bastard or Covered Fat Bastard is also a good choice.

Phats are nice, just not the hot tamale of P90 wannabe's in HB sized.

yeah im kinda leaning  towards the fat bastards

i ordered me one of those mighty harmonic design Z-90's today!

this one is said to be the real deal, if you are looking for a hot P90 sound!
rave reviews all over the net.. also to be found on the warmoth-site.
fits into a standard humbucker rout.

sound is described be reviewers as "phatness and punch of a humbucker, but with the clarity of a singlecoil, no mud!"

exactly what i was looking for!  :headbang:

Back