Long scale basses (36", 37")

Edin

Hi,

I suppose that many ppl know the advantage of long scale by playings of deep tones and how the long scale contributes better definitions of sounds. Does Warmoth plan to make long scale necks (36" or maybe 37"  :hello2:) for for example Gecko basses?

In that case, I promise that will be the first customer!  :icon_thumright:

+3, for 4-strings instruments, but for B string 35" is minimum, not optimum...

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Edin said:
....but for B string 35" is minimum, not optimum...

Debateable IMO.  Welcome to the slippery slope of absolutes vs. preferences.
indeed debateable, for why would they sell five string bass sets in 34" scale? hehe, plus im doing one soon so ill get back to you on how it sounds :D

Many of the "problems" can be resolved with the properly choice of the strings. There are big different between round core v. hexagonal core, steel v. nickel according to string tension, vibes etc. but my attitude is that one respectable firms such as Warmoth, must have and option of XL scale, especially for Gecko basses which sort of becomes the trademark Warmoth, and why not for all 5/more strings models!?

+1 on long scales. If Warmoth is making short scales now, why not long scale?

36" and 37" may be a bit much for me, but I'd like to see a 35".

bpmorton777 said:
I dont think my left arm would be long enough :laughing7:

Brian

Carvin does a cool thing. They move the bridge all the way back so that the neck doesn't become longer and the nut doesn't move farther away. Yet the "scale" becomes longer, meaning the frets get bigger.

I would love to see Warmoth do that with their fender style basses. They would have to design new necks and route existing bodies a little different.

But anyway + infinity for longer scale basses, both 4 and 5 string.

kidgloves2 said:
bpmorton777 said:
I dont think my left arm would be long enough :laughing7:

Brian

Carvin does a cool thing. They move the bridge all the way back so that the neck doesn't become longer and the nut doesn't move farther away. Yet the "scale" becomes longer, meaning the frets get bigger.

I would love to see Warmoth do that with their fender style basses. They would have to design new necks and route existing bodies a little different.

But anyway + infinity for longer scale basses, both 4 and 5 string.

On Fender style instruments, the bridge is already as far back as it's going to get. Maybe like 3/8" to spare.
I've seen a Strat body stretched out to fit in Variax electronics, and it looks really really weird to me. Trying to stretch two or three inches more length to a J or P bass would look utterly ridiculous.

I really don't see the problem with making the neck longer? We are talking 2 or 3 inches.
If you can reach to the tuning peg, that's about as far away as the first fret location would ever get.
I never play anything before the first fret as the notes kind of choke off too close to the nut, and there is no need to ever fret down on your nut.

line6man said:
On Fender style instruments, the bridge is already as far back as it's going to get. Maybe like 3/8" to spare.

+1

Nailed it.  With Carvin, it's a different body with different dimensions.  With the new Carvin take on the J-Bass (SB-4000 and SB 5000), it's a 34" bolt-on in both 4 and 5 string versions.

I'm waiting for Stubhead to chime in because he has a shortscale 5 string fretless with low B and no string tension problems.

I just measured my Jazz bass and there is exactly 1 & 1/16" on the low E side to move back. And 1 & 3/8" on the high G side. It won't hang over the edge. You probably wouldn't even have to move back that far because there is so much room for the bridge to actually intonate. So you wouldn't have to push it to "the edge". :)

I think it's practical. Now I actually want to do it.

kidgloves2 said:
I just measured my Jazz bass and there is exactly 1 & 1/16" on the low E side to move back. And 1 & 3/8" on the high G side. It won't hang over the edge. You probably wouldn't even have to move back that far because there is so much room for the bridge to actually intonate. So you wouldn't have to push it to "the edge". :)

I think it's practical. Now I actually want to do it.

Were you using a vintage style bridge?
If you have a high mass bridge, it sets back a lot further.

Besides that, there has to be room to move with the saddles.  If there's  1 1/8" to 1 3/8" to move that does not account for the anchoring of the bridge, the break over angle, and room to intonate.  You can't just mount the ball end of the string onto the saddle.  That's a whole other set of logistics.

I think about longer necks w/o changing anything at the body, and so, my opinion is that Warmoth has full potential to develop/reprogramming the tools for production. If If there is good will for doing it... 

Edin said:
I think about longer necks w/o changing anything at the body, and so, my opinion is that Warmoth has full potential to develop/reprogramming the tools for production. If If there is good will for doing it... 
Potential and will is one thing (or two) but like anything else: R&D costs money so there has to be a profitable market for it or they won't even consider it. And rightfully so.

And it's not only about tools: A longer scale means higher string tension and it puts a bigger strain on the neck and neck joint which means that such a bass may need some extra reinforcement.
It's going to take more than just adding an extra inch to their CNC programs.

Back