Life time tips

Bassjacker

So I'd thought I'd start this thread for anyone that has some really useful tips advanced/simple for people to know/should definitely know.

Initial one I thought of is learn how to setup your guitar/bass. Save money, possibly time and create a really bespoke and well playing instrument.

General Tools:- Alan key, feeler gauge, screwdriver, sandpaper (for polishing frets), contact cleaner.

That's for a really general setup and not a "whole" setup.

Post any useful tips  :)

Get this book:
00240519_medium.jpeg

Be your own tech.

Come here and talk about stuff before you try it on your instruments... a few brains are better than just your own.

Something I'm totally guilty of, take your friggin time and research before diving in. I've made a ton of mistakes due to my impatience and now I'm sanding paint off a body I stained badly so now I'm gonna put a solid finish on it.

When putting screws in your body. headstock make sure your PRE DRILL those holes!!! Otherwise you may bust a screw in your new guitar.

I'm sure most people know that already but I didn't...

It's sometimes surprising what people don't know, or have to learn the hard way.

As long as we're on the subject, though, drilling holes is not always enough, especially on the very hard woods necks are made of. You need to wax the screws as well. Beeswax is best, but paraffin, a candle or a crayon is better than nothing.

Never work on things when tired or less than optimum. Go for a walk, get some sleep and come back to it fresh and take your time.

If you make a mistake and it pisses you off, walk away and come back later.  Don't try to fix an error while you're still mad about it.  Many a mistake has been compounded when a frustrated builder has tried to force the issue.

Always keep plenty of Luthier Lubrication Juice in the house. Molson Canadian works well.

I dunno, I've never used Luthier Lubrication Juice, but had plenty of good luck with Ethiopian Marching Powder as infused in hot water with cream and sometimes sugar.

coffeecream.jpg

1.  Research and buy the right tool for the job. 
2.  Not every tool Dan Erlewine makes is necessary.
3.  You will want every tool Dan Erlewine makes.

Back