Life by Keith Richards

The Thread title reads like a sentence that could have ended up in the criminal justice records in Toronto......... :tard:

Must get the book and have a read...Though I must say, that having read thru Neil Young's official (well, as official as he'd let it) biography "Shakey" and Eric Clapton's autobiography, I don't know if Keith would be as candid as Young's biographer tried to be, though I hope he isn't as selective as Eric seemed to have been.  :dontknow:

I know if I had to write my life story, there'd be
a) plenty of people wanting to hunt me down, and my life has been one big bore compared to Keith's!
b) there'd be certain things I have done in the past, and not been caught out, that I would certainly overlook...... :cool01:

So for someone as adventurous as Keith, the issue must have been: "IF I put this story in there, WHO is going to get hurt!"

I think that's the big question for anyone writing their autobiography - how much can I write and who will be hurt by it? I liked Shakey, it gives a very interesting picture of Neil who seems to be a very private person.

k-k-kboooman said:
I think that's the big question for anyone writing their autobiography - how much can I write and who will be hurt by it? I liked Shakey, it gives a very interesting picture of Neil who seems to be a very private person.

As someone corrected me here on this forum when I mentioned it a while back, at least with Young's book you got more of an insight into who he was, even if you ended up liking him less for the unsavoury bits and pieces he left in there. A lot more honest than the cleansed version of Clapton's life that Eric offered up.

I think the thing I walked away from reading Shakey foremost in my head, was the quote: Neil IS Neil! (and get used to it), lol. Young seems to have upset/pissed off/ripped off/let down many people in his life, both professionally and personally. But at least he let that be known for the truth as it is. You gotta give him credit for the caring of his sons though & the time he took out without much fanfare to care for his younger son in spite of Geffen Records demanding work from him. I think it was Elliot Roberts (Young's manager) who described Neil as a 'free spirit", with tongue firmly in cheek. :laughing7:

And that's not to say that Clapton doesn't have a similar story to tell, but chose not to. Must get Keef's book though.

This book actually makes rock and roll seem fun though, compared to the Clapton one. I thought Clapton sounded like a whiny killjoy douchebag in that book. Keef most definitely sounds like a guy you'd want at the party (maybe not around your girlfriend, though).

He has mentioned Bill Wyman about three times in two hundred pages, though, so that's a story not being told right there. It's just a great read.

Loving it. I downloaded it onto my iphone and listening to it rather than reading it on pages. My favorite line of his "Believe it or not, I remember everything".

I haven't read it yet, but I did read Lemmy's book (White Line Fever), and I am currently reading Ronnie Wood's book (Ronnie). Both are good reads as well, and make you ask "how are they still alive?"

I have been taking my time reading it. It does seem like Keith is holding back a little bit. While he makes no it clear that he has done everything and anything under the sun, he seems to be neglecting some details. But like any biography you can't publish everything.

I don't know - I doubt Mick was happy to read in an amazon #1 bestseller by his oldest friend that he's got a small package, that he's a trend chaser, poser, and control freak.

I'm sure Mick already knew that stuff, and anybody who didn't simply wasn't paying attention. Although, this is the first time I've heard he's only got a cigarette peter. Imagine all the groupie's dismay!  "Is it in yet?" <grin>

Back