Let's talk setup tools

jdroost

So I would like to know what you guys consider to be "must have tools" if you are going to start doing your own setups/level/crowning and such.

I currently have a notched straight edge and fret rocker (fair quality).
U shaped fret crowning file from stew mac.
Fret end file from stew mac.
Aluminum leveling sanding beam (ebay forget brand but it seems good quality)
Fret nippers and pullers (stew mac) and their sanding stick.
Various sand papers,dremel and a benchtop buffer (I work on cars).
I also own a good digital dial caliper....and I guess if needed them.. dial indicators (from auto use).

One spot I am having a huge issue is with properly crowning the frets.
It seems the crowning file I own often comes in contact with the tops of the frets...messing up the task. I have looked into a triangle file and this "z file"

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Fretting/Shaping_and_crowning/StewMac_Z-File_Fret_Crowning_Files.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2018-09-gp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImtevg9rY3QIVkIKzCh2m0Q2pEAQYASABEgLQKPD_BwE
But the price on that is blowing my socks off.

So what should we be buying minimum if we are brave (or stupid) enough to not farm this out to somebody else?
What tools should be considered worth the extra expense?

Actually the main setup tools that I use you didn't touch on:

1 - one set of nut slot files
2 - one set of needle files
3 - one fret - end file
4 - one set of allen keys for bridge adjustments.

Besides regular shop tools, that's all I use.  I don't bother leveling frets with warmoth necks.  But that's just me.

When it comes to setting the action, some additional tools:
Small accurate metal ruler
Magnifying Glass (thinking about getting a jewelers loop)
Capo
Screwdriver set
Long metal ruler for seeing how flat the fret board is

Mayfly said:
Actually the main setup tools that I use you didn't touch on:

1 - one set of nut slot files
Looking into nut slot files...again I see there is a cheap alternative (notching a set of feeler gauges).
What is working good for you (and others) as far as nut tools?

Must chime in here to correct some posts....

U shaped fret crowning file

These were developed by Michael Gurian - us old cats call them Gurian files, and I quit using them as they have limits. A supple wrist technique with a 3 cornered file (safed edges) works TONS better. It's a skill, so start practicing now.

Small accurate metal ruler

It's called a SCALE, guys. 6 inches are the most common. Get a couple, they're cheap and useful for all kinds of jobs.

Long metal ruler for seeing how flat the fingerboard is

NOPE. Rulers flex and are ONLY used for measuring. You want a STRAIGHTEDGE, which is a rigid metal bar with no measuring marks at all. It's only used for one thing - checking straightness. Period.

Jewelers loop

It's loupe. And you'd be better off getting a good magnifying visor with built in LED's. Most have 2 lenses for different focal lengths. The LEDS are great so you can actually see what's going on.

Most of these terms and tools come from the world of the machinist. Machinists KNOW accuracy and repeatability. GET HIP.

FILES: Hand files of all kinds and sizes are great tools for luthiery. I have multiple sets for making nuts and bridge saddles. Buy good stuff - I have 2 die sinker file and riffler sets that cost over $100 per set back before you were born. They still work, everyday. Specialized files are a plus, too - you'll need bastard cut, mill files, rasps, etc. I have more files (and sets of files) than any other family of tools.

KNIVES: Get a whole mess of Exacto knives and handles in multiple configurations. My newest one is an Exacto knife holder with built in LED. It's sweet.

WRENCHES: Socket wrenches and open end. Not Crescent wrenches - they slip.

ABRASIVES: Sandpaper & Scotchbrite in various grits. Keep the old stuff - it's not worn out, it's really fine, great for polishing.

CLEANERS: Lemon oil, guitar polish, etc. Soft cloth - all cotton or microfiber.

GLUES: Titebond, cyanoacrylate, hide glue.

Thinking about picking up a s.mac 3 corner over the super expensive z file.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Files/3-Corner_Fret_Dressing_Files.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2018-09-gp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7pCWlf7Y3QIVSlmGCh1m2gRyEAQYASABEgIdnPD_BwE

Would the 8" be enough for most jobs...or do I need  the larger file?

8" is probably ideal. Certainly no shorter. Also, Aircap's right about the tri-corner requiring a bit of practice to learn to use well. Probably why the concave types came into being. Practice on something that's not critical. Along with that, get several widths of masking tape between 1/4" and 1" to mask off the fretboard when you're working on it. The tri-corner files will usually have a "safe" edge ground into the corners, or you can safe them yourself, but even still you don't want to slip into your fretboard even once if the 'board isn't protected. Adds 10 minutes to the job, but it can save a lot of heartache.

Also, don't mess around with cheap nut slotting files or homemade alternatives unless you want to end up sorry. The little buggers are expensive, but you just have to bite the bullet and unclench the funds to do it right.

Edit:  This was in response to a post, that has been removed.  She asked for advice on setting the action.

The internet has a plethora of info on how to set the action.  But rather than telling you how to do it, if you are going to make playing the guitar a lifetime activity you need to start a library.  Here are you first two books:
1) Guitar Player Repair Guide by Erlewine
2) How to make your Electric Guitar Play Geat by Erlewine
3) How to make your own electric guitar by Hiscock
4) Guitar Handbook by Denyer

Buy at least two of those books.  You'll thank me.

Need to get some nut files myself. I got two to cut and maybe a couple more. I'm going to have to do my own bridge compensation for the baritone acoustic since I play a wound 2nd string.

They're pricey little rascals, but once you have them you'll be so glad you do.

I hoarded some of the old Ibanez nut file sets from the 70's & 80's.... They have 2 different width cutting edges - giving me 6 to choose from. I can vary the width of the slot by angling the file from side to side as I make cuts. Can't live without 'em.

Thinking about picking up a s.mac 3 corner over the super expensive z file.

Would the 8" be enough for most jobs...or do I need  the larger file?

I have the 8 inch file. Works great for mandolin wire, guitar wire of all sizes, even jumbo bass stuff. I have never regretted buying mine, and have made a lot of money with it.

I have a very picky client who is strictly a fingerpicker on acoustic - numerous $5000 Taylors... He had me do a fretless wonder style level of the stock frets on all his Taylors, and I could NOT have crowned them any other way than using the StewMac 3 corner file. Of course, to get the frets down to .020 tall, it leaves very little room to radius the top. I end up working one side of the neck, then the other - blend it all together in one last pass. Takes me 3 times as long to do the level, and I charge him more than double for each guitar. He is happy to pay it.

I don't mind paying for stuff if I have to but my thing is ... I know lots of people who slag harbor freight and then go pay 2x as much for the same @#$ out of the same factory in a different color paint at lowes.  Simply paying more does not even close to guarantee you're getting a better product, especially in today's import market.

1) Are the Hosco's the gold standard, or crap?
2) If the Hosco's are the real deal, does the Stew Mac set get you anything for the price difference?
3) How much bigger can a 0.0xx" file cut than 0.0xx? How much smaller is too small? (I presume there's no issue with an 0.008" in a 0.010" slot being 0.001" on either side. Which, btw - what should I shoot for for a given string?)

The guitar set stops at 0.046". The bass files are 0.045/0.065/0.075/0.085/0.130. So that pretty much covers baritone strings too if you get both.

Back