Fret Leveling, Crowning, Polishing - Dos and Donts

@tonyflyingsuirrel are you talking about the leveling process (which I did just like you describe) or the process of sanding up the grits after leveling? I was looking for advice on the latter.

That said, I wish I had another lifetime to become a full-fledged luthier...

Just as a general suggestion, https://www.youtube.com/user/twoodfrd/featured
I can't remember if He has a specific vid on frets, but much can be learned from watching this man's video's. He knows his business, and He researches His subjects quite well.... :icon_thumright:

alexreinhold said:
@tonyflyingsuirrel are you talking about the leveling process (which I did just like you describe) or the process of sanding up the grits after leveling? I was looking for advice on the latter.

That said, I wish I had another lifetime to become a full-fledged luthier...

D: all of the above.

ARCnet78 said:
Within the past year I have purchased 2 Warmoth necks with SS frets. 

When it came time to address the frets (no leveling/re-crowning required by the way), I picked up a set of fret erasers from Stewmac.  They did an exceptional job, especially for an rank amateur like myself.   

After polishing the frets on both necks, the erasers show negligible wear. I expect that they should stand-up to polishing a significant number of guitars.

IMHO, these two necks are the best that I have ever played.  Made possible by Warmoth, the folks who graciously provide their assistance, suggestions and recommendations on this forum, and a little bit by me.  :guitaristgif:

Did i understand correctly? Your only purpose for the fret erasers was to polish up the SS frets? Did you leave the stock frets as-is?

alexreinhold said:
That said, is there any technique you follow when sanding the frets?
Like said above, if it's a new Warmoth neck, DO NOT try to level the entire fretboard; there's no need and you may just mess it up. Instead, get a fret rocker and go fret by fret looking for high spots, then just level the high spots.  Use 600 grit. YES, 600 grit.  There's absolutely no need to go coarser on minor touchups, and it'll be far easier to polish. I like to use a crowning file with 600 grit sandpaper placed on the file to do the sanding.

If you can't get buzzing on high frets solved after spot leveling as I described, then you might consider some relief, which means sanding down just the upper frets. I haven't needed it on my builds, but it's an option.

TheOtherEric said:
alexreinhold said:
That said, is there any technique you follow when sanding the frets?
Like said above, if it's a new Warmoth neck, DO NOT try to level the entire fretboard; there's no need and you may just mess it up. Instead, get a fret rocker and go fret by fret looking for high spots, then just level the high spots.  Use 600 grit. YES, 600 grit.  There's absolutely no need to go coarser on minor touchups, and it'll be far easier to polish. I like to use a crowning file with 600 grit sandpaper placed on the file to do the sanding.

If you can't get buzzing on high frets solved after spot leveling as I described, then you might consider some relief, which means sanding down just the upper frets. I haven't needed it on my builds, but it's an option.

that said... I looked at about 10 different fret rockers online. Except StewMac (which costs a gazillion + a gazillion delivery), they all have the same ratings: "better use a credit card". Should I maybe go with a credit card in the first place?

After having a couple fret kissers that had one bad side or another, I went with the Stewmac fret rocker. I also have their Fret Kisser, which I bought on sale for and proved to be an incredibly handy tool for leveling one fret. I wouldn't trust something flexible, dent-able, and pliable like a credit card.

My leveling bar is a (free) scrap piece of corian from countertop contrator, as recommended by Ron Kirn. It's perfectly flat and has enough weight to do the work for me. Using a lightweight leveling bar results in uneven pressure since you have to play pressure by hand. The corian, or a large steel bar like Stewmacs, has enough weight that no additional pressure is necessary (accept to add fall-away), nice even pressure across the whole bar. I do a few passes at 400, then step up to 600. Anything else waits until I've crown the fret (Z-file) and begin polishing.

I ran into a little problem but I'm not sure it's actually one - I will need advice. Followed TheOtherEric's advice and spot leveled on my new Warmoth neck. Turns out only fret 14 needed leveling. I knew it was risky given that this is my number 1 bending fret but it was significantly higher than 13 and 15.

Now here's the *problem*, I have 6115 frets (see original post). So it was easy to use my crowning file to level.

The good: all frets are level now
The bad: only fret 14 has lost it's peaked 6115 shape and is now like a normal fender style fret - i.e. round

Is that even a problem? And if yes, is it worth fixing?

alexreinhold said:
I ran into a little problem but I'm not sure it's actually one - I will need advice. Followed TheOtherEric's advice and spot leveled on my new Warmoth neck. Turns out only fret 14 needed leveling. I knew it was risky given that this is my number 1 bending fret but it was significantly higher than 13 and 15.

Now here's the *problem*, I have 6115 frets (see original post). So it was easy to use my crowning file to level.

The good: all frets are level now
The bad: only fret 14 has lost it's peaked 6115 shape and is now like a normal fender style fret - i.e. round

Is that even a problem? And if yes, is it worth fixing?

The safe edge triangle file will help you re-profile just that fret.  I've done it with the fret end dressing tool too, but I've been doing this for some years.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
The safe edge triangle file will help you re-profile just that fret.  I've done it with the fret end dressing tool too, but I've been doing this for some years.

Thanks Tony! But is it even a problem - albeit the anesthetic difference? Thinking logically - shouldn't it play just as good?

alexreinhold said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

Thanks Tony! But is it even a problem - albeit the anesthetic difference? Thinking logically - shouldn't it play just as good?

It will be subjective, but to me, the better the profile, the finer that top dead center line, just translates to precise intonation on each fret.  If this fret is the only one that was treated, then profiling it to match the other frets will improve the intonation of this fret in relationship with all of the frets for an entire instrument with precise intonation.

Also, don't be afraid to use a wide-tip (chisel tip) Sharpie to black out the tops of the frets before you file. As you file, it'll be easier to see where and how much of an effect you're having on the profile. You should end up with a very fine, even line along the crown. Once you're happy, some 1500 (or better) grit will not only eliminate the ink, it'll smooth out some scratches without affecting the profile much, if at all. Note: do this before removing the masking tape. (You did tape off the neck, didn't you?)  :icon_biggrin:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
alexreinhold said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

It will be subjective, but to me, the better the profile, the finer that top dead center line, just translates to precise intonation on each fret.  If this fret is the only one that was treated, then profiling it to match the other frets will improve the intonation of this fret in relationship with all of the frets for an entire instrument with precise intonation.

The top dead center line is as fine as it gets. I just played the neck and it couldn't be smoother across all frets (including the one I treated). I also don't hear any problem with intonation. The only difference I can see is that the 6115 frets are just more pointy. But the dead center line as as fine across all frets.

So I personally don't see a problem.

alexreinhold said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
alexreinhold said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

The top dead center line is as fine as it gets. I just played the neck and it couldn't be smoother across all frets (including the one I treated). I also don't hear any problem with intonation. The only difference I can see is that the 6115 frets are just more pointy. But the dead center line as as fine across all frets.

So I personally don't see a problem.

Alrighty then, start shredding! :headbang4:

Gonna have my first fret leveling, crowning and polishing attempt on the weekend and I am scared af! I am not asking how it's done (already watched dozens of Youtube videos) or whether it should be done on Warmoth necks (see the other 100 threads on this forum).

I just wanna avoid obvious mistakes and would like to ask for some dos and donts from your own personal trial/error experience.

PS: For what it's worth - all my Warmoth necks are 6115 (i.e. the peaked ones).
PPS: got all the tools, no low-quality stuff.
How do you like the 6115 peaked frets? I just ordered a neck with those frets, excited to try it out!

Back