let the glassing begin

Haha, Jurassic Park.  It is sort of skeletal...

OMG dinos!  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

velociraptors.jpg

I really dig the "out there" projects.  And this one is out there.  Nice execution of a (presumably) well thought out plan.  Reminds me of gliders.

so today was really cool.. I put one more coat of resin on the top and then spent 2 hours or so playing old judis priest songs on the mayocaster.. that lillte guitar f$%#ing screams.. if this guitar turns out as good it should rock...

just got the first corse of wet sanding done and opened up the neck cavity and pup holes. tomorrow I hope to open up the control cavity, then second corse of wet sanding and final finish, I havent decided if I will use a auto gelcoat or nitro, I'm leaning towards nitro..
on to the photos

I think if I was gonna do a Glass body, I'd use open celled styrofoam, sand to shape and glass that, or at least put foam between ribs, Kinda like a surfboard or some airplanes are made.

I am looking forward to your honest opinion of how it feels, plays and sounds when your done. Your gonna paint it right?

I think he's leaving it clear, which I totally approve of.  I wasn't sure how this was gonna turn out but it's just looking great.  :icon_thumright: :headbang1: :icon_thumright:

You have an angle in that neck pocket, I hope...?

Alfang said:
I think if I was gonna do a Glass body, I'd use open celled styrofoam, sand to shape and glass that, or at least put foam between ribs, Kinda like a surfboard or some airplanes are made.

I am looking forward to your honest opinion of how it feels, plays and sounds when your done. Your gonna paint it right?

I thought about foam but was concerned it would kill the sustain..at this point I'm not going to paint however once I get all the scratches out of the surface I am thinking about a shelby stylr raceing stripe up the middle in white with black line edges, the stripe would continue on the headstock. then over the whole thing a nice slick clearcoat..

dbw said:
I think he's leaving it clear, which I totally approve of.  I wasn't sure how this was gonna turn out but it's just looking great.  :icon_thumright: :headbang1: :icon_thumright:

You have an angle in that neck pocket, I hope...?

yes the neck pocket is angled, I can also route deeper if I need to, but at this point it all lines up great..

I just love this project.  Don't Paint It!  (or at least not completely - your racing stripe ideas sound pretty cool)

:headbang1:

This might be the wildest thing I've ever seen being built....but man, you are pulling it off...simply amazing.

Might I suggest some surfer inspired pinstriping instead of the racing stripe?  Definitely don't paint it though, that would be a shame.

and then there were white stripes... I got the white stripes set and shot with white nitro.. the tape edges are total shit... I will have to clean them up quite a bit before I can add the black edge lines.. I went out and got better tape and did a test run... the black line edges should be f-ing slick..
then on to some touch up sanding... then clear and she's done... I hope..  :hello2:

That is really cool. Some sort of internal lighting would look sweet in that guitar, I think.

Back