let the glassing begin

big bob

I just got started with the first coat no resin just glass
I really hope this works...

for now the glass is tacked on with super glue. tommoro I will put the first coat of resin over it and it should become clear.. and a weird wet looking
on the test I did the first coat was flexible ie if you pushed hard on it it would flex... after the second coat of glass and resin it was pretty damn solid...

Interesting.  You have got to post a recording of this thing when it's finished.  I'm really wondering what it is going to sound like.  I'm also wondering how much the finished body is going to weigh.

hannaugh said:
Interesting.  You have got to post a recording of this thing when it's finished.  I'm really wondering what it is going to sound like.  I'm also wondering how much the finished body is going to weigh.

you and me both sister...  you and me both..

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewl, it's finally starting to look like a guitar....I think it looks pretty bithcin' with the raw cloth on it..Kinda like a silvery carbon fiber.... :icon_thumright:

as the surface gets thicker with each coat and then sanded the ribbed look fill become less pronunced... but still there.. If I want to remove the ribbed look I culd build up glass and then sand it out smooth, and I might do that , but at this point I kinda like it..

first coat still wet...

I just got finished trimming and sanding the sides.... wow super easy.. now I'm ready to put pull lines in for the electronics, and then sterch the back.. the first coat is weird in that its super thin and flexible, by the third coat it should be hard as a rock.. unfortunatly with each coat the shell gets just a little more opaque..

I have quite a bit of time in this, I sure hope it sounds good..

When doing glass speakerboxes I do the final shaping with Bondo. I am sure you would be able to do this as well with no adverse effects

ocguy106 said:
When doing glass speakerboxes I do the final shaping with Bondo. I am sure you would be able to do this as well with no adverse effects

I may do that as a last resort.. I kinda want to keep it transparent..

big bob said:
I just got finished trimming and sanding the sides.... wow super easy.. now I'm ready to put pull lines in for the electronics, and then sterch the back.. the first coat is weird in that its super thin and flexible, by the third coat it should be hard as a rock.. unfortunatly with each coat the shell gets just a little more opaque..

I have quite a bit of time in this, I sure hope it sounds good..

I bet it sounds a lot like the pickups you put in it

all the specs were designed to have the added thickness of the glass, but I will probably need to sand the crap out of them..

Back