let the glassing begin

so I was feeling kind of apathethic after the first coat on the front, not quite what I wanted, I decided to muddle on and clean up the edges. I put an exacto blade attachment on my soldering Iron and let that sucker get hot, WOW! clean up was super easy like cutting butter... next I sanded the sides with 80 grit again super easy to shape... Then I streched the back with raw glass and tacked in place with super glue overlaping on the sides... finaly I coated the back with resin.. Now I'm feeling really good about the project.. the glass is increadably forgiving and maliable.. and I can see all the way through... I'm sure this build will be a- ok..

first two picts cleaned up sides 

Wow, that is definitely unique.  I never would have thought of doing anything like it.  Looks cool! 

Just be careful that bees don't try to come make a home in it. 

thanks , I can really see it with the scalloped neck, and the bigsby, and the crome pups ... you know, all grown up...

scalloping and a Bigsby? seems weird but sure...  I've seen guys put a floyd on an acoustic jazz guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rstnOz1EmQ

Those guys make Doug seem completely normal.  :laughing7:

Holy crap!  Those guys have got some cojones.  I can't believe they did that all with a drill!

today I sanded the crap out of the body (picts later) even broke out the rasps and files... wow more than I thought...started the second coat, the more I work the less ribbed the guitar is ... I sanded and sanded and sanded and got pissed off... so I decided to wet sand the neck one last time to 2000 grit... wow it looks sweet.. it was nice to do something and see an imedate effect...

I should have the second coat done by .... thursday? 

not in the last several, the glass looks wet pretty much untill it is sanded. the final sanding routine when/if I ever get the shape right will be 120, 220, 400,400 wet, 600 we, 800wet, 1500 wet, 2000 wet, swirl remover + buffer, then a nice non silicone wax..  should look just like a car finish I hope... as for now I have the second coat of glass around the rail, hope to sand tonight after work. then tommoro second coat for the back/front. then it's just sanding. sanding. more sanding and then some buffing..

I've been watching your build.  I need to do a little glassing myself.  I have a wood strip canoe that I am building that lacks a little more sanding and shaping before tackling the glass job.

IMG_0372.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the finished product on your guitar.  Good luck.

vansmack said:
I've been watching your build.  I need to do a little glassing myself.  I have a wood strip canoe that I am building that lacks a little more sanding and shaping before tackling the glass job.

IMG_0372.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the finished product on your guitar.  Good luck.

I think you have a little more work ahead than I do.. good luck. looks cool

the second coat is on and I'm just about ready for the final sanding and then sanding sealer and lacquer..

at  the end of the first sanding

Wow, that's looking really cool.  I like the translucent textured-glass look

yea It's starting to get a real jurasic park amber look.  once it's sanded and polished it should be shiney...

GoDrex said:
scalloping and a Bigsby? seems weird but sure...  I've seen guys put a floyd on an acoustic jazz guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rstnOz1EmQ

Those guys make Doug seem completely normal.  :laughing7:

I got to about 20 seconds into that clip and saw the drill come out and screamed  "Noooooooooooooooo".  :eek: :eek: :eek: :sad:

Hope that Maccaferi was a very cheap guitar to beat up like that.

Back