Left-handed (lefty) Jaguar

reluctant-builder

If you're wondering why I put "lefty" in parentheses, it's for search purposes ...

I've been jonesing ... big-time ... for a left-handed Jaguar. The thing is haunting my dreams.

I just had an exchange with Spike (via sales@warmoth.com) wherein he told me, when I asked if the Jaguar and Jazzmaster body shapes were identical: "No, they are definitely different."

Now, I don't have them in front of me, to compare ... but they sure as hell don't look different. I'm talking about the unrouted body, just the shape. Do they differ in size? I simply cannot divine what is the "definite" difference he cites.

The reason I harp about this is because I want to buy a lefty Jazzmaster body, un-routed (but for the trem) and then route the Jaguar control and pup cavities, and drill the bridge post holes, myself. I'd like to buy a short-scale neck, too.

I don't get why Warmoth doesn't want my approximately 700 bucks.

I just know I don't want to spend 105,000 yen on a Japanese Fender that I'm going to want to mod, anyway.

They won't even cut a lefty Jaguar pickguard.

I know I don't need another @#$%ing guitar ... but this particular chapter of @#$% the lefties is not making me happy.

Surely there are woodworkers in Japan. All you need is a bandsaw, a router and a drill motor and you can make a body. Get the plans for a RH Jag from any of a dozen places and go shopping. I'm sure any woodworker worth his sawdust could build a lefty given a set of righty plans.

Hi, Cagey. I didn't mean to imply that I'm in Japan ... just that I've found lefties for sale from Fender.jp, on Japanese websites.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87690396/GuitarTemplates/Jaguar%20Jazzmaster.pdf
That might help. Good luck. No intention to advertise here, but Musikraft will do it if the W can't.

I wouldn't mind a reverse jag... Mmm....

reluctant-builder said:
Hi, Cagey. I didn't mean to imply that I'm in Japan ... just that I've found lefties for sale from Fender.jp, on Japanese websites.

Well, the same information applies. Lotsa folks out there fab up bodies, and most of them aren't terribly expensive. Then, if you want a professional finish but don't want to do it yourself, there's always Tonar here.

Have you checked if a long scale body like the Jazzmaster is compatible with a short scale neck like the Jaguar? I'm not sure that's why I ask.

If you want to make a lefty Jaguar you can and should do it. I'm sure you know there are other companies that make quality parts and people that make pro finishes.

Altar, thanks for that PDF.

Kostas, you are right, of course. I did ask the folks at W about the JM vs. Jaguar and was told the bodies are different. I've seen the overlays, too, that show that -- even though the body sizes are comparable -- the neck pocket depth is different, for starters (bridge, trem and pup placements, too).

I think Warmoth has me somewhat hostage because I'm loath to deal with a website as poor as, say, USACG. It's just terrible to navigate and requires, to my spoiled Web 2.0 sensibilities, way too much effort to get the results I may want (which I'm not even sure I can get because it's so obfuscated by poor user interface / experience).

I will look at Musikraft, though. Thanks, Altar, for that suggestion. However, aside from W, USACG and Musikraft ... I don't know of any other sites.

The Jaguar and Jazzmaster definitely do not share identical perimeter shapes – they might appear the same but rest assured, they are different! Jaguar accouterments will not fit correctly on a Jazzmaster body. Warmoth did not make programs, fixtures, jigs for lefty Jaguars because there was/is no source for lefty control plates or bridges. Before taking on the expense of patterning out a product it’s usually prudent to insure that there is a big enough market to make a return on the investment. With no lefty hardware there isn’t likely to be much market for lefty Jags.

Sean

Attachments

• Jag Jazz 2.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 430
Red Rocks said:
The Jaguar and Jazzmaster definitely do not share identical perimeter shapes – they might appear the same but rest assured, they are different! Jaguar accouterments will not fit correctly on a Jazzmaster body. Warmoth did not make programs, fixtures, jigs for lefty Jaguars because there was/is no source for lefty control plates or bridges. Before taking on the expense of patterning out a product it’s usually prudent to insure that there is a big enough market to make a return on the investment. With no lefty hardware there isn’t likely to be much market for lefty Jags.

Sean

Paul Rhoney, Stereordinary on osg. Makes really cool custom jag plates at $45 a piece, you would need 2, and a trem plate for a jag will be the same price. Find a squier vm trem on the bay, slap the parts on, find a lefty trem arm, slap it together, SHAZAM! Lefty trem. Also, if you HATE the trem like so many on here, he makes hardtail conversion plates for jags that look amazing. Fit in place of the trem, real sharp.

All in all, it will get pricey, but you seem to be prepared for that, and lefty jags are one of the only lefty guitars that look really sexy to me, so GO FOR IT.

Thanks, Sean, for the visual evidence. You dream crusher.  :icon_biggrin:

Someone posted about a JM in the gallery made to look like a Jaguar. I guess that's the only option ... though I bed I'd lose out on whatever the short scale imparts upon the tone.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8350.msg107983#msg107983

If I were to order an unrouted Jazzmaster body (nothing but the shape, contours and neck pocket), there's nothing (besides human error) stopping me from buying a 24" scale neck and routing the pup and control cavities, trem cavity and bridge post holes myself so that they're all positioned optimally for that short scale, correct?

Yes, the body shape is marginally different, but if I had an unmarred Jazzmaster blank with just a neck pocket, into which I'd put the short scale neck, is there any obstruction (again, besides mine own potential errors) toward making a 24" scale Jaguar facsimile?

NO! IT'S AGAINST THE LAW! VIOLATORS WILL BE PERSECUTED!

Ahem. I'm sorry. I was gone for a while, but now I'm back.

Assuming there are no bridge mounting holes, you can certainly put any scale neck on that body you want, as long as you put the bridge in the right place. So, if you buy a 24" scale neck and a body with the pocket already routed/drilled, all you would have to do is mount the neck and measure from the nut down 24" to place your bridge mounting holes.

i thought warmoth did the jaguar scale bridge mounting on other bodies, i guess i could be wrong. then all you would need was the control cavity routing and pickguard.

It's not an advertised option, but they certainly know what the dimension would be and could place it in some cases. I suspect where you'd run into trouble would be on bodies where the bridge pickup is a bit close to the bridge, which wouldn't leave room to move it up.

Hmm.  This is puzzling.  I thought for sure they did all their styles in lefty vetsions.

Contact Rod (Rob?) at Regenerate Guitar works (forum name Skuttle Funk).  He does, even specializes in, lefty basses and is very familiar with Warmoth stuff.  He does so due to the shortage of lefty custom options.  He's fought the good fight finding obscure lefty hardware.  Maybe with a set of plans and a lefty body blank, he could do it.  At the very least, he may have some leads for what you want.

Hey, Cagey ... measuring 24" from the nut seems easy enough, but what about placing the pickups correctly? What's the formula for that operation?

Turbo, I'll check out that lead. Thanks.  :icon_biggrin:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/index.php?sid=72bdc43f9dc67b35f35ebf9e00540272
Check with these guys. A few members do this sort of thing all the time.

I'm not aware of any "formula". People have been trying for years to find some ulterior motive for why Leo put the pickups where he did, or anyone else for that matter. Nodes, anti-nodes, harmonics, travel distance, on and on. But, apparently it's more a matter of "this looks like a good spot" and fire up the router.

Back