Large Decal for Back of Guitar

Watchie

Anyone guide me as to where I can locate a larger decal for the back of a strat-style body?  After many attempts I just couldn't get either a black dye or stain to fully "saturate" the ash, so I have areas that are nearly opaque and areas where a much lighter area (sorta blond) shows through.  My thinking now is to maybe apply an interesting decal (at least 6 x6 inches) that would cover/distract from these "imperfections."  The finish coat is minwax wipe-on poly, so I am assuming that with a bit of rough up I could apply the decal, then coat the whole body with another top coat of the MW. 

Thoughts both as to how this might work and a source for an interesting decal (noting this build is for my 10 year old grandson).

Thanks.

I've slapped a decal on the front of one of my telecasters:

41637_527102111_3205_n.jpg

It's full coverage, made for a specific guitar.  Looks surprisingly good even from up close. 

Just do a search on "guitar skins".  I think I got the above from axe wraps.

I think you want a sticker (vinyl) decal, rather than a water-slide decal like the kind that come in a model kit. Big sliders can be a real pain to apply smooth, nice and in the right place.

For a vinyl decal, you can wet the surface with water mixed with a tiny bit of soap. The decal will be thick enough to allow you to slide the decal around and burnish into place. Water sliders are too thin for this, will break up, fold over and generally become a frustrating mess.

As for where to source them. Google is your best friend. Also look in your local Yellow Pages for a printer that offers vinyl decals. Maybe a shop that deals with automotive customers.

Additionally, you'll want to remove any wax you may have applied. A smooth, clean surface is a must as anything that settles in under the decal will likely be trapped until the decal is removed.

However, a thought occurs; if you're unhappy with the stain/dye results, why not simply mask off the area and paint it solid black? It's the back of the guitar.

Good luck and let us know how you solved this one.

Also, there are some sellers on eBay who do retro-cheesecake girly decals of various sizes.  I'm sure at least one of them would entertain the notion of doing a custom image you supply (unless your grandson would be into a Vargas pinup girl).

Back