LabroMaster done see post in Misc. guits if you want

C

Cowbell Fever!

I had to stop for the day, and I don't yet have the neck from Warmoth. Debating putting in another covered Gibson 57 classic I have in the bridge for continuity, but I really like the Burstbucker Pro as a Bridge pickup and zebra is all I have. Now where's that confounded bridge.......I mean neck!

Attachments

• whammo.JPG
    whammo.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Zombo.JPG
    Zombo.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 60
stratamania said:
Are you also waiting on a Hybrid Tele pickguard?

I guess I don't get it? I am going to use the pick guard shown.

Cowbell Fever! said:
stratamania said:
Are you also waiting on a Hybrid Tele pickguard?

I guess I don't get it? I am going to use the pick guard shown.

Ah, I see. What you have looks like a Strat pickguard rather than the Hybrid Tele pickguard which is a different shape. There is a pdf at the below link which can be printed out if you want to compare them.

https://warmoth.com/pickguard-hybrid-tele

Ah I see, wasn't aware there was such a thing. I am still sticking with the strat guard.

Also, Stratmania, I was not mocking you as I just realized we both wrote "Ah, I see"

Cowbell Fever! said:
Also, Stratmania, I was not mocking you as I just realized we both wrote "Ah, I see"

No worries, I did notice but thought it was probably coincidental.

alexreinhold said:
What products and steps did you use for the finish?

My sister who is a hobbyist woodworker kinda hipped me to this type of finish. I also saw a couple of diy videos online. I gather there are a few slightly varied but similar ways to get the same look. I guess you need an open grained wood to do it Ash,oak etc. Was pretty easy, and I think many variations could be done depending on your imagination. I did it because personally my rattle can experiences have been less than stellar.
Anyway, I took a stiff wire brush to the body with the grain doing many passes to further open up the grain. I then wiped on a good coat of black oil based stain. I let that dry for a day, but had it in a bathroom with a space heater . Then I used this stuff called "Rub N Buff" that is a metallic wax stuff to cover the whole body rubbing it into the grain. I let that dry for an hour. Then I stripped it off using mineral oil and one million rags and paper towels. Leaving the wax in the grain behind. Then I did ten coats of wipe on satin polyurethane (thin). I could have done even more coats poly but alas, I am lazy!
That is it.

Cowbell Fever! said:
alexreinhold said:
What products and steps did you use for the finish?

My sister who is a hobbyist woodworker kinda hipped me to this type of finish. I also saw a couple of diy videos online. I gather there are a few slightly varied but similar ways to get the same look. I guess you need an open grained wood to do it Ash,oak etc. Was pretty easy, and I think many variations could be done depending on your imagination. I did it because personally my rattle can experiences have been less than stellar.
Anyway, I took a stiff wire brush to the body with the grain doing many passes to further open up the grain. I then wiped on a good coat of black oil based stain. I let that dry for a day, but had it in a bathroom with a space heater . Then I used this stuff called "Rub N Buff" that is a metallic wax stuff to cover the whole body rubbing it into the grain. I let that dry for an hour. Then I stripped it off using mineral oil and one million rags and paper towels. Leaving the wax in the grain behind. Then I did ten coats of wipe on satin polyurethane (thin). I could have done even more coats poly but alas, I am lazy!
That is it.

sweet - almost exactly my approach (though I guess I used a "blacker" black :)). See here: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33831.0

Hey what the he double toothpicks! I just perused your build thread, and I think you copied me!! :laughing7:

Yours looks deeper black as I only did one stain coat and wiped some of it off when wiping down the wax.

Yours could look "None more black"-Nigel

Hahaha well, I'm just glad I'm not the only one to use this technique. It's an awesome one!!  :headbanging:

Still no neck, but now featuring...........strap buttons! Ooooh AND String Ferrules!

They are made of metal!!!! (I don't play metal, but I like to have metal parts on a guitar for street cred)

Attachments

• Fronto.JPG
    Fronto.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Backo.JPG
    Backo.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 20
Still no neck  :(............but now featuring a stainless kill switch!!! If nothing else, I can make annoying sounds with it AND if playing with others and I suddenly realize oh crap there was a key change (when did that happen!!??) all I have to do is strum open strings and rapidly push the button till I figure out where we are again.  :laughing7:

Got a couple more parts coming soon to swap out, I have drank the Warmoth unofficial forum Koolaid!

Attachments

• Kill Switch.JPG
    Kill Switch.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 18
Glad to see you have recovered from Cowbell Fever and have become Spud...don't tell me you have a new pickguard on the way  :icon_smile:

Back