Kreig's Master Class "Vibrato without the bar"

K

kreig

O.K. if I can have everyones permission to post this, as a place to help troubleshoot guitarists that don't understand the fundamentals, or lack the skills to acheive the perfect vibrato w/o the bar. And then exploring an expanded vocabulary of this technique.

It's fun and it's free.

Feel free to PM me here, post here, or email @ kwilhelm777@aol.com

I'm hoping to share some insights, as this seems to be an area that is under explored. As well as describing some mistakes I've seen along the way.

To start, I've seen ALOT of guitarists take a "hit and miss" approach to making vibrato happen. With no rhyme or reason, they plod along as if
they hope their random ,wrestling, wrist/finger action some how translates to a perfect audible vibrato_One that soars and sings.

Only to produce a BIG DUD.

If you are a beginner or an accomplished guitarist that the art of the vibrato has eluded you for years, this post is for you. I'll accept all levels. And we can take it step by step,put it under the microscope, til you can produce a flawless,masterful,almost effortless vibrato at the drop of a hat.
It's one of the most magical mysteries of guitar playing.

Where you can make ONE NOTE sing,sting or soar.

Bring it baby, bring it . . . no question too big or small.

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I just kinda waggle my hand on the high strings... I learned from watching BB King.

On the low strings I actually bend the strings.  I can get as much depth as I want that way.

For the most part I'd say I'm an all wrist type with some finger vibrato on the bass side.  I'm interested to see where this goes.

Thank You Gentlemen,

1st lesson is ... There is NO substitute for putting in the hours of playing the guitar!
2nd lesson is ... Keeping the calluses on yer fingertips(per Satriani)
3rd lesson is ... Learning  how to Control the instrument

I need to post pics tomorrow... sorry

Yes it takes ***PRACTICE*** and tough callouses to get a good vibrato goin'.

Do they even do vibrato nowadays?

Heck, do they even do solos nowadays?

Oh great master Vibrato...
May I humbly suggest we all move up two string gauges for a year and watch our vibrato skills skyrocket?

im interested as well  :icon_thumright: I suppose im alright at it, but theres nothing wrong with (and always room for) improvement  :icon_biggrin:

Leslie West once said in an interview that his vibrato "technique" was perfected during all those hours he spent locked in the bathroom as a teenager.

+ to what dbw said. I think that seeing BB King play on TV was the first time I was aware of vibrato.

Brian

*Just a little note - take a moment to realize there are some Signature vibratos

The ones you hear that are unmistakenly done by a particular Artist . . . Steve Morse, Mike Oldfield(The Tubular Bells guy), (and yes SuperLizard),
Angus Young, there are many others,and I'll plug  in SRV ,because there are alot of his diehard fans on this forum. I'm sure you have some that come to mind too.

The question is . . . can you replicate your favorite guitarist? or better yet, can you come up with your own signature vibrato?

I'll try to get you closer to that end result. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I haven't heard any of the said "vibrato" from the topic starter. So until I do, I suggest you take lessons from ME, cause my feel is UNREAL! hahaha :laughing7:

seriously it's outta sight. Like really man. :toothy12:

GoDrex said:
I haven't heard any of the said "vibrato" from the topic starter. So until I do, I suggest you take lessons from ME, cause my feel is UNREAL! hahaha :laughing7:

seriously it's outta sight. Like really man. :toothy12:
No need to get smart. I'm ready to start posting pics, til I can post clips.

And if you don't want to come over to this thread, . . . don't. I'm trying to teach over here, thank you.

Beano Album era Clapton.  Blue Jean Blues Billy Gibbons.  Cause We've Ended As Lovers Beck.  I shoot for an approximate amalgam of those most of the time.

stratplayer1 said:
pics/vids of the kreig master vibrato, or it doesn't exist :laughing7:
I'm trying, my uploads failed multiple times, waiting for help from Gregg! patience please.

I forgot, I also do the occasional Jimmy Page headstock vibrato, where you hit an open string or harmonic and do the vibrato by squeezing the string above the nut.

On some of my guitars (my acoustics and my Squier) I do vibrato on folk chords by bending the neck.  Don't try it on your favorite!

heh just givin ya a hard time kreig, yeah the vibrato above the nut is cool, but i have a locking nut so that option is gone for me, you can get the same subtle vibrato by pushing on the floyd with your hand instead of using your trem bar, just a slight variation

stratplayer1 said:
you can get the same subtle vibrato by pushing on the floyd with your hand instead of using your trem bar, just a slight variation

"Sir, step away from the bottle of Jack, and assume the position."

I'd like to see this mutant guitar.

Back