Krank n stein

DangerousR6

Mythical Status
Well folks, got started on Krank n stein. Went with the Watco's Danish oil in natural. Man it really is bringing out the grain in the walnut and the bit of flame in the maple strips. I found a little procedure on the interwebs about using the Watco's, it's pretty simple really. This method you take the oil and wetsand the first coat to slurry it up and fill in the pores with the slurry.Let dry for about 10 min. then wipe it off and let it dry for 24 hrs. Then lightly dry sand the next day to resmooth and start applying the rest of the coats. With a light buff of 0000 steel wool in between coats...I must say it's working rather well.... :icon_thumright:

DocNrock said:
Moving right along.   :icon_biggrin:

What about poor spalty.   :sad:
I'm working on her too, it's just this one I can get done a lot faster with the finish I'm doing on it. Then I can concentrate on spalty... :icon_biggrin:

Beside, i wanta check out the neck for this one...... :laughing7:

Cool!
Let me know all about your Danish Oil experience - I think I want to try that next!

Markoooooo said:
Cool!
Let me know all about your Danish Oil experience - I think I want to try that next!
So far so good. I'll know tomorrow how well I got it to fill in the pores.. But it's very easy..... :icon_thumright:

That is too frickin cool. But, what's the big hole for where the TOM is supposed to go?  :icon_biggrin:

The Krank-N-Stein is lookin' great  :headbang1:
I too will be watching your Danish oil experience.  I have a future build in the back of my noggin' that I think feels the oil!
I will stay tuned for future adventures...
Krank-n-Stein on with your bad self :kewlpics: :party07: :rock-on:

the guitar looks really cool, I like the woods. but, how do you get that 'slurry'? just by wet sanding the oil with sanding paper?

Orpheo said:
the guitar looks really cool, I like the woods. but, how do you get that 'slurry'? just by wet sanding the oil with sanding paper?
I used just a thin layer of oil with 320 grit silicon carbide paper(automotive wet-dry paper). The oil is just enough of a lubricant and the paper is still course enough to still create saw dust, even in the oil. And the longer you sand the more the dust and oil mixes and is forced into the pores.

Did another wet sanding round to try and fill in the pores a bit more. It's usually good after the first round according to the article, but i did a second just to be sure..... :icon_biggrin:

Mo pics.... :rock-on:

that thing looks incredible, i've been thinking about a carved top soloist body in walnut... is it a heavy wood? i'd need it to be to counterbalance my heavy neck  :-\

JaySwear said:
that thing looks incredible, i've been thinking about a carved top soloist body in walnut... is it a heavy wood? i'd need it to be to counterbalance my heavy neck  :-\
Thanks Jay, it's not real heavy. The shipping weight was under 6 lbs. So without the packaging, I'd say around 4.5 lbs...Roughly..  And once all the hardware is on it'll probably be back closer to shipping weight...

Back