Korinablaster: HSH Black Korina Tele

Nice looking parts. I like the gathering of parts for a new build. It's a whole bunch of exciting new things.

stratamania said:
A good starting point is what are the combinations you would like to get and then look at if there is a solution to do it.

So I've traded a few emails with Suhr, and they've sent me a few of their wiring diagrams. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share them, but I'll ask and see if I can post them up. Anyway, they recommended that I look at Strandberg Boden as it uses Suhr pickups and has very versatile switching.

Here's a link to the Strandberg: https://strandbergguitars.com/product/boden-neck-thru-6-trem-trans-orange/

The switching on this guitar is darn near perfect for me, and uses a 5 way super switch to achieve the following combinations:

- Neck (Series)
- Neck Outer Coil + Middle (Parallel)
- Neck Outer Coil + Bridge Outer Coil (Parallel)
- Middle + Bridge Inner Coil (Parallel)
- Bridge (Series)

If I were to mod this combo in anyway maybe I'd add a series/parallel switch or a coil split. I know Pete Thorn has a series/parallel switch on his bridge and a coil split on his neck. Basically with one or two toggles you'd have some incredible tones. I haven't asked Suhr for this diagram, and haven't looked for it myself yet, that's my next step.

PS - The Triple Shots are not going to be part of this project for two reasons. First, the switching above is awesome. Two, the Schroeder bridge is going on this guitar. It's too amazing to leave off and the Triple Shots won't cover the little routing blip. Custom humbucker rings need to happen, if anyone has a hook up please let me know.

2 seconds later here is the Suhr wiring diagram, which is available on the Strandberg site.

UQHKSA8.png

Any potential (easy) mods or additions I should consider like series/parallel?

Not sure how to do it, but in addition to these five I like the hums out of phase, and for extra heat, I like the hums in series. So I guess that’s 7.

I don't know how to do it either but a S1 switch might be the answer. 

The following diagram and combo summary came from this site: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24551-mod-garage-strat-prs-crossover-wiring.

If I could take the position 3 of the Strandberg wiring, and possibly change 1 & 5 below to parallel for hum canceling, then engage the S1 and pick up the series settings noted below, boom, I couldn't ask for more. I need to study the two diagrams and see how to make it all work.

iIfMiwh.png

9Tm0dEh.png

Hey guys. Hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

I'm still working through switching combos and have come down to the two following options. There are so many options with the Super Switch that I simply have to draw a line in the sand and call it good. Let me know what you think of the following, there are pros and cons with both, but both should produce a wide range of usable tones.

Option 1: This option incorporates standard HSH auto splitting with various split tones. This combo is nice as the 5 most usable tones are on the switch without using a push pull. However, a downside is the split options do feel very intuitive.

DRwTCEo.png

Option 2: This option basically gives you two guitars in one. You get traditional HH and Strat tones, with a touch of Tele thrown in on the split middle position. Switching is intuitive and there are usable tones at every position, with the possible exception of the full humbucker and middle positions.

KYB0wC5.png

Let me know what you think.

Also, I've decided to forego the third knob. Instead I'm going to use a mini toggle for the split for two reasons. Frist, I bought some for the AquaMaster project and have them in hand. Second, my daughter really wants the guitar to look unique. She likes three knobs, but thinks the mini toggle will be cool too.

It’s all a matter of personal preferences of course, but speaking out of my experiences where I’ve had similar thoughts of getting this and that sound, I found all such plans - no exception - to be more or less disappointing. The ten cool sounds I was able to get with the Freeway (awesome switch by the way) switch? Only use three. My very extensive switching modifications (several) - involving a S1-switch - in my Super-Sonic? Never use it. My latest endeavour with a toggle plus a push-push-switch to be able to split the humbuckers? I never use the push-push.
If I was a betting man I would imagine that 99% of all members here that have done elaborate switching jobs on their builds only use a small fraction of what the switching allows when playing or have removed the switching options all together, just keeping the basic two, three possibly four sounds.

But, as I said ... it’s all a matter of personal preferences.
YMMV and all that.

The 2nd one of those options looks like a good way to go for tele with the toggle switch in addition to the 5 way as described.

Logrinn, also has a good point.

From my personal experience with several Suhr pickups and the clips of Pete Thorn I believe the Thornbuckers will split well.

I have two push-push pots in my WLP, one is splitting both pickups and the other is for out of phase in the middle position. The pickups sound very well in split mode and I use it all the time. The out of phase is a cool option to have.

I don't like switches and a selector in a guitar, it's too crowded. I have used push-push & push-pull and I prefer push-push, it's easier to activate it.

I'm not against but not keen to use something like the S1 switch, maybe if I had only one guitar and I needed options. HB splitting is always welcome for me, it's not about making a HB guitar to sound like a strat, it's about having different sounds.

Does anyone know the humbucker ring dimensions I need to fully cover the Tele bump in the bridge pickup route? 95% of rings are the standard 1.75", but I've found a few that are 1.8". I assume that's still too narrow. 

I haven't seen one wide enough for that. You may be looking at making your own or having one made.

I haven't seen one like that, either. That's why I had one made in one case, and used the Hipshot solution in others.

Cagey said:
I haven't seen one like that, either. That's why I had one made in one case, and used the Hipshot solution in others.

What are the outside dimensions of the one you had made? Also, did you put a special pickup cover on the one in the picture or is it standard size?

The custom ring is installed on a guitar that's packed away at the moment. The units on the ice blue Tele in the pic are these...

iu

...(in chrome/white pearl) which have standard humbucker dimensions and so use a standard mount. The body was already cut for humbuckers at the factory at fab time, so no cavity anomalies to hide.

The body shipped today, and should arrive by the end of the week. In the meantime I'm playing around with a few different looks.

My original goal was to use the Schroeder bridge and humbucker rings. However, I didn't realize a standard pickup ring wouldn't cover the route. Total absent minded move on my part. I might have rings made, possible ebony rings, but my gut says the thick bezels will look silly. As such, I'm now considering the Gotoh humbucker bridge.

My primary concern with the Gotoh is it's a big hunk of chrome and might be a bit of an eye sore. To offset the chrome I might add a pickguard, but then a lot of wood get's covered up. I ran across another guy who had similar concerns and ended up chopping the Gotoh

I thought I had a good idea of what I wanted the end result to be, but now I'm up in the air a bit. It will be great to get the body in my hands as I'm sure the wood and the neck will direct my next steps. Anyway, here are a few pics of what I'm kicking around. Let me know what you think.

sQ5wVsR.png

eJMFqq4.png

QtyYGkL.png

hclP3Os.png

Here's the guy that chopped the Gotoh:

mecaGZ0.png

EWwPHtI.png

yh2Axbq.png

I think they all look good, but I wouldn't mess with chopping a Gotoh. Unless you have a machine shop or access to one, that sounds like a good way to waste a perfectly good bridge for little or no return. The whole bridge isn't a gaudy thing that needs to be tamed or diminished.

If you chop the Gotoh you would be back to using a pickup ring and thus arrive back at the same issue that led you towards the Gotoh humbucker bridge.

I think to use the Gotoh Humbucker bridge as it is made for the job and looks better to me than the chop shop version. And use a pickguard probably black but could be white pearl depending on the overall look of the wood and pickups etc.

I'm not going to cut a Gotoh for this project, but I do like the guys initiative. There are very few solutions for covering that little gap and based on what I've seen I like his approach. Stupid gap...

A few late night renderings. I use that term lightly as I'm hacking stuff together, and I'm fully aware it looks like crap. I've made a few attempts to incorporate a pickguard, but they look so bad I can't even post them :) . Anyway, it's nice to see options on the actual body.

SSZIUbI.png

Back