Koa strat done (finally)

Crash, That's a beautiful guitar! Koa is gorgeous.Seems like I need to look at that Wenge/Ebony combo. Like the stealth dots too.

1 of the few things keeping me from calling my 1st build finished is the string trees.
I have them laying here, but haven't drilled the holes yet.
Not having any problem with them now but I don't have a trem. so am not stressing like some.
And it sure seems to be controversial wheather they are needed.
So I'm waiting.
Sounds like I need a better nut job too.

Besides it's a bunch a fun to warble the B & E without the trees in the way

Crash - very sweet build - congratulations!

I'm also thinking about a wenge/ebony neck (or maybe a wenge/wenge neck with black dots like yours).

How's the feel of the wenge/ebony neck? Can you say anything about the contribution of the neck to the tone!  I've read Warmoth's tone descriptions; I'm curious what it sounds like with single coils. I'm going to be doing mine with 3 P-90's.

As far as tone goes... I think the description on the neck woods page at Warmoth is pretty accurate.  It is not as bright as my Ibanez, which has a mahogany body with a maple/rosewood neck.  I have the same neck pickup on both guitars.  I think that the neck wood makes the a bigger difference in tone than body wood.

The wenge really does boost the mids.  If I wanted brighter, I would have gone with bubinga or pau ferro, still with an ebony fretboard.

I just love the way the wenge feels.  You just have to try one.  The pictures just can't show how the koa grain pattern "changes" depending on how you look at it.

Right now I am building a bunch of pedals to go with this guitar:  large beaver from byoc, colorsound clone from guitar pcb, Ross compressor from guitar pcb, 7of9 vibe from guitar pcb.

After that, I need a new amp (Lane Cub 12)

Back