Kill Pot on Les Paul

Heft

If you've read my posts you know I love kill switches. I have a few guitars with them and love to use them in my playing. I'd like to make a Les Paul type guitar and I'm wondering if I need one Shadow Kill Switch on one volume pot or one on each volume pot.
In other words does it route everything to ground or just what's in that pot.

Heres the diagram they give. They mention dual volume controls.
0e669c083711508164d5d45dc45efdc3.png_960x960q80.png_.webp

It depends on how the rest of the wiring has been done.

If you have one master volume pot, you would need one. If you have two individual volumes, you would need two. I suppose with two, you could do some sort of two finger dance of kill switch usage.

Looking at this, if you want only one kill switch, ignore the jumper from the "A" terminal to the lugs on the pot. instead connect a jumper from the "A" terminal to the tip ring on the jack. That will mute the whole signal instead of just one pickup.

And in my experience you will want to use "Variation 2" for the pot wiring where the signal goes in on lug 1, out to the switch on lug 2 and ground lug.

Variation one may not always mute the signal with hotter pickups.

Looking at this, if you want only one kill switch, ignore the jumper from the "A" terminal to the lugs on the pot. instead connect a jumper from the "A" terminal to the tip ring on the jack. That will mute the whole signal instead of just one pickup.
Wow thanks, that really helps. I thought I was going to have to use 2 pots!

Back