Ken Lawrence Explorer (Non-Warmoth)

crash

Finally finished this one.

Bought the body/neck from Explorerbuilder on UG forums.  Had a hell of a time trying to find tuners that had posts long enough for the headstock.  Since the headstock is thicker, the only ones that I found that fit were Grover locking tuners from WD Music.  Then I had to make a nut since the slot was bigger than the standard Gibson size.  The nut files from Stewmac made it easy.

EMG JH pickups (of course).  25" scale neck.  Mahogany body and neck.  Figured makore top and headstock.  Chechen fingerboard.  12" fingerboard radius.

KLExp2_zps4ffd6dd7.jpg

Closeup of the home made nut
Nut_zpsebdb9521.jpg

Here it is with the "Papa Het" picture from Tom Noll
Hetfield_zpsaaa81675.jpg

The entire family picture
4_zps3a97fd18.jpg

I've always liked the KL/Hetfield headstock. I nearly went with that for my VIP.
Gimme%2BFue%2BGimme%2BFai%2BGimme%2BDabajabza.jpg

That's great figuring on the top.  Is that just a clear finish or did you use any dye to make the figuring stand out?  Beautiful axe either way.

That's awesome Chris, but to make Papa Het proud you'll need to put some EMG's in that bad mamajamma... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
That's awesome Chris, but to make Papa Het proud you'll need to put some EMG's in that bad mamajamma... :icon_biggrin:

crash said:
EMG JH pickups (of course).  25" scale neck.  Mahogany body and neck.  Figured makore top and headstock.  Chechen fingerboard.  12" fingerboard radius.

Pelagaard said:
DangerousR6 said:

crash said:
A big Oooooops, my bad. Guess i missed that, I saw the PAF covers and just automatically jumped to the conclusion... :doh:

I bought it with the finish on it.  It is just a clear satin finish.

PAF pickups on a KL style Explorer?  :doh:  You could get your a$$ kicked for doing that.

crash said:

PAF pickups on a KL style Explorer?  :doh:  You could get your a$$ kicked for doing that.
Well to be fair, they do have the PAF covers, needs some EMG covers... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
crash said:

Well to be fair, they do have the PAF covers, needs some EMG covers... :icon_thumright:
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/354

AutoBat said:
DangerousR6 said:
crash said:

They still look like PAF's..

DangerousR6 said:
AutoBat said:
DangerousR6 said:
crash said:

And they still rock da f&@k out like EMGs!!  :headbang1:

Death by Uberschall said:
DangerousR6 said:
AutoBat said:
DangerousR6 said:
crash said:

And they still rock da f&@k out like EMGs!!  :headbang1:
I don't doubt it that they do at all... :icon_biggrin:

Back