Just placed my order!

llama

Just placed my next Warmoth order.

This time I am going for a stock Walnut strat with stock maple / ebony neck.

I am going to finish the body with Danish Oil followed by wax. The maple neck will be finished with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. I am having a battery box route done so I can fit active pickups. Thinking about an EMG David Gilmour set. I have ordered a Gotoh Wilkinson trem route.

As I live in the UK I will have afew weeks wait for delivery.

Can't wait tho !!!!!!!!!!

Purdy cool strat you got yourself, walnut is just so beautiful when done up in Danish oil.... :icon_thumright:

I've now read too many negative reviews of EMG pickups.

I still want to go down the active road tho, as all my other guitars are passive.

I've ordered a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts Singles AS-1.

sweet! I haven't seen a build with the blackout singles yet! I'm gonna want sound clips when ur done...

llama said:
I've now read too many negative reviews of EMG pickups.

I still want to go down the active road tho, as all my other guitars are passive.

I've ordered a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts Singles AS-1.

There are plenty of positive reviews for EMGs, however the Blackouts and single coil versions of the Blackouts are the p'ups there's not a lot of reviews of (positive or negative).

The guys on the SD forums have talked a lot about the Blackouts, but IIRC they've only mentioned the buckers.  They're getting rave reviews over there.

I think Doc has a set of the humbuckers in one of his recent builds.

The Llama Song  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's just brilliant.

Haven't laughed so much in ages.

Thanks. 

Blue313 said:
The guys on the SD forums have talked a lot about the Blackouts, but IIRC they've only mentioned the buckers.  They're getting rave reviews over there.

The SD forum raves about an SD product, not exactly what I'd call an unbiased review. 

My logic is this.  EMG specializes in active p'ups, so coincidentally they're passives aren't their strongsuit.  Usually EMG passives are in cheaper, economy line instruments that are marketed with the phrase "equipped with EMG pickups."  A kid buys it and says, "but it's got EMGs."  Meanwhile the passives are rarely bought as an upgrade.  SD specializes in passives, so I wouldn't expect their actives to be to EMG standards.  From what I've seen, they are a blatant ripoff appearance and spec wise of the EMGs.

However, one neat feature about the Blackout singles, they can have medium or high output depending on the removal of a jumper.  It can also have a switch wired in place of the jumper to act as a switchable boost.

Marko said:
I don't know about orpheo, but I have never been to denmark :(

Sorry about that.  In my ignorance, my brain confused Danish with Dutch/Holland/Netherlands.  I apologize.  I really am better with geography than that.

no worries.. I get confused about where you live too :)
is it Denton? is it Frisco? maybe the Colony? oh is it Aubrey??

I see it alot too, people sometimes think that Amsterdam is the capitol of Denmark...  :hello2:

:help:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Blue313 said:
The SD forum raves about an SD product, not exactly what I'd call an unbiased review. 
On the surface I'd agree it looks biased.  However, on that forum if they don't like something they don't pull punches.  They trash some of Seymour's pickups regularly and openly like others..including Dimarzio.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Marko said:
no worries.. I get confused about where you live too :)
is it Denton? is it Frisco? maybe the Colony? oh is it Aubrey??

Anywhere but The Colony.

a co-worker of mine lives in the same community as you, and she claims that it is part of the Colony...................................... and sometimes Aubrey :)

Hi Llama

Just read this thread with much interest.  My wife bought me a tele body and neck for Xmas and I'm planning on a tru-oil neck finish and a danish oil body.  I am also looking at active pups and considering the Duncan blackouts.

Any feedback you have will be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Back