Finalizing My Order - Looking for Feedback!

SeattleScotty

Hi Everyone! I am getting ready to put in the order for my first custom Warmoth - a Mooncaster! I thought it would be a good idea to run everything by the board and see what you all think!

I am planning on having the body made of walnut with a nice quilted maple top dyed dark green. Currently I am leaning towards tortoiseshell binding, but I have also been considering Ivoroid/Cream as well. The neck is going to be walnut as well, and either a rosewood or an ebony neck, and abalone dots.

As far as hardware goes, I don't have anything nailed down yet - I was originally thinking a TOM hard-tail, but now I am leaning towards a nice tremolo bridge. How much difference is there between the Gotoh 510 and the Wilkinson Tremolo? I have no problem paying more for the 510s if they are worthwhile. Are there any other tremolo bridges I should consider?

Does anyone have a recommendation for which locking tuners to go with? I prefer smaller pegs rather than the large vintage 'bell' shaped ones.

Most importantly - I haven't decided which color hardware I should use - Chrome? Nickel? Black? (No gold 😅)

Here is a mock-up of the design so far, tell me what you think!
i7OmPJc

The mock-up isn't showing up for me...

Binding:  If you're going with a green top, I'd go with cream.  Tortoise or Ivoroid would look pretty busy with the green. 

Hardware:  I think chrome or nickel would go best.  I like black for some things, but I think chrome or nickel would pop more with the green.

Congratulations on designing your first order! It sounds very cool. Regarding bridges, I have the Wilkinson on more than one guitar and I like it a lot. Anything i have seen or used from Gotoh has been top quality as well. For what you are doing I wonder if it comes down to a large degree to which bridge suits the aesthetic you envision for this guitar. I can't remember of the 510 bridge is a two point trem or if it follows the traditional Fender design.

Locking tuners wise, I have used Schaller but all locking tuners all have their followers. I know there are "mini" versions of the Schallers. It might be worth a call or email to Customer Service at Warmoth to ask about tuner sizes in their selection.

I like the look of chrome hardware almost always as it strikes me as clean and not distracting. But I am a real shiny object guy. I have one guitar with black hardware and it works very well on that guitar but its a departure for me. On a Mooncaster, nickel finish certainly would fit the historical element of such a guitar. Will your pickups have covers? If so are you thinking chrome or nickel?

This sound like this is going to be one nice guitar. I have been known to take a month to ponder certain elements to arrive at decisions I feel pretty solid about. I know others can fire from the hip and be right for their tastes and needs. But do post pictures once this is all done.

Zebra said:

Binding:  If you're going with a green top, I'd go with cream.  Tortoise or Ivoroid would look pretty busy with the green. 

Hardware:  I think chrome or nickel would go best.  I like black for some things, but I think chrome or nickel would pop more with the green.

https://i.imgur.com/6oNQANm Here is a link to the picture!

Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking you may be right (I may be crazy.) I was hoping for a 'dark' aesthetic, but I think you're right it might be too busy.

musicispeace said:
Congratulations on designing your first order! It sounds very cool. Regarding bridges, I have the Wilkinson on more than one guitar and I like it a lot. Anything i have seen or used from Gotoh has been top quality as well. For what you are doing I wonder if it comes down to a large degree to which bridge suits the aesthetic you envision for this guitar. I can't remember of the 510 bridge is a two point trem or if it follows the traditional Fender design.

Locking tuners wise, I have used Schaller but all locking tuners all have their followers. I know there are "mini" versions of the Schallers. It might be worth a call or email to Customer Service at Warmoth to ask about tuner sizes in their selection.

I like the look of chrome hardware almost always as it strikes me as clean and not distracting. But I am a real shiny object guy. I have one guitar with black hardware and it works very well on that guitar but its a departure for me. On a Mooncaster, nickel finish certainly would fit the historical element of such a guitar. Will your pickups have covers? If so are you thinking chrome or nickel?

I definitely prefer covered pickups. I think ideally I would like some aged/brushed nickle for all the metal parts, but it's hard to find everything in the same color if it's not chrome/gold/black. Chrome is my backup choice, but I feel like the guitar itself will be flashy enough, the hardware can be very plain.

musicispeace said:
This sound like this is going to be one nice guitar. I have been known to take a month to ponder certain elements to arrive at decisions I feel pretty solid about. I know others can fire from the hip and be right for their tastes and needs. But do post pictures once this is all done.

Thanks! I've been planning for a long time and have finally saved the money to go all out on it and put together literally anything I want for my new #1!

edit: omg these CAPTCHAs are brutal

SeaGroomer said:
Zebra said:

https://i.imgur.com/6oNQANm Here is a link to the picture!

Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking you may be right (I may be crazy.) I was hoping for a 'dark' aesthetic, but I think you're right it might be too busy.

Wow! the visual representation is totally more cool than I even thought it would be. That will be a very cool guitar. I do think chrome or nickel for hardware.

If I were blind and just talking about playing I say the Wilkinson and Gotoh are about the same, but Gotoh 510 is all around my favorite trem.

Back