Just a reminder that people really suck sometimes...

erogenousjones17

Excuse me while I rant a moment. In November I finished a year-long project translating a history book on the town where I grew up. I signed a contract with the municipality (who footed the bill for the project) in November '08, wherein we agreed on a rate of $0.15 per word. The book is just about 600 pages (over 200,000 words) long, so you do the math. Suffice it to say that I'm waiting for a cheque that's the equivalent of one year's salary. I received a $7,500 dollar advance in early 2009, with the rest to be paid upon completion of the work, blah blah blah.

Point is, I submitted the final bill on November 11 and have yet to be paid. That's nearly three months folks. I've emailed, called, sent smoke signals and carrier pidgeons. No dice. I'd always get BS answres like "the person in charge of the file is on sick leave," "we're looking in to what happened," and "we thought we already paid you." Not even the standard "the cheque's in the mail." Now they're flat out not answering me. I could go down to city hall, but that's a seven-hour drive away, since I don't actually live in the town where I grew up. However, it's looking more and more like that's what it's going to take.

So...anyone know a good lawyer?  :laughing7:

People suck.

/rant

If you have a contract, and you are not in violation for some reason, you have every right to sue.
If this is in Quebec (I seem to recall you're in Quebec city), the laws are a bit different in the details because it's Napolionic law instead of common law, but a contract is still a contract.

Man, I'm sorry.  /stab /stab /stab

I hate it when people don't live up to their word and then don't have the intestinal fortitude to tell you're they're backing out of it.

-Mark

Sounds like the person that made the deal either didn't have the authority to do so, or never intended to pay you.  If something sounds to good to be true, it probably is.  200,000 words x's $0.15 a word seems to good to be true.  I don't know what the going rate on translation is, but $30,000 for a book translation, I'm in the wrong business.

As long as the contract is valid - you're good.  Doesn't matter if 0.15/word is expensive or not. 
However, I'm starting to suspect that you'll owe about half that in legal fees though...

Well I finally got in touch with someone, and they seem to realize their mistake. Seems they had interpreted the "advance" as the complete payment.  :doh:

So no legal action required yet. I'm willing to hold out a little longer, because I don't want all my income to be eaten up by some lawyer.

Mayfly: not only do we use "droit civil" (inspired by the French system, as you said), but common law applies in certain cases. Quebec is a very puzzling place sometimes.

Custom: Don't forget, that $30K is for a whole year's work! But yeah, translators do ok. :laughing7: Well I'm still technically a student, so I'm not doing this full-time yet. But I won't turn down the cheque; I've got student loans to pay back!

And for the record, $0.15/word is actually really cheap. I've seen places charge more than double that for some really specialized texts and/or more obscure language pairs (i.e. French-Russian).

ErogenousJones said:
Mayfly: not only do we use "droit civil" (inspired by the French system, as you said), but common law applies in certain cases. Quebec is a very puzzling place sometimes.

I live in Quebec too man, and I regret so when I have to do a transaction out of our borders :sad1:

You don't need to answer this of course but, may I ask what is the town's name?

exaN said:
ErogenousJones said:

I live in Quebec too man, and I regret so when I have to do a transaction out of our borders :sad1:

You don't need to answer this of course but, may I ask what is the town's name?

Wow, another Québécois on the forum. I wasn't expecting that.  :laughing7:

What exactly is it that frustrates you about dealing with places outside Quebec? I'm just curious is all. What's always bugged me is places that will ship stuff to Canada but not Quebec (until very recently, this was the case with Musician's Friend, for example) and contests that are open to residents of Canada, excluding Quebec. It's all because of our stupid (dare I say discriminatory) language laws. But that's a whole other rant right there.

I don't mind answering the second question. I was born in the town of Gaspé, way out east at the tip of the peninsula, where Jacques Cartier landed in 1534 and claimed Canada in the name of France, yadda yadda yadda. And Mayfly was right; I'm in La Capitale nationale (Quebec City) now.

How many languages does Nonsense Tele speak/read? He could make a killing............. :sign13:

OzziePete said:
How many languages does Nonsense Tele speak/read? He could make a killing............. :sign13:

In the academy meaning: none...
I can speak some portuguese and bark english... :laughing7:
I'd like to learn French, Italian and German, perhaps some more, but this takes a lot of time and money... :sad:

NonsenseTele said:
OzziePete said:

I'd like to learn French, Italian and German, perhaps some more, but this takes a lot of time and money... :sad:

German is easy, just clear your throat a lot and you should be ok ;)

...nah, not really...

NonsenseTele said:
OzziePete said:

I'd hardly say you bark english. You do quite well!
I know bits and pieces of a bunch of languages, but not enough to be useful... basically just enough to say random things like "you are a short drunken moose" etc.

jimbo said:
NonsenseTele said:
OzziePete said:

I'd hardly say you bark english. You do quite well!

Thanks, but not enough to translate a book professionaly... YET :laughing7:

Back