jus got f***ed up by a virus

Alfang said:
You wouldn't trust anything that was free? Really, why the hell would microsoft put out anything free or not , that would come back to haunt them.

I know they are the big kid on the block, but geeze that's an ignorant statement.  Just cuz essentials is free doesn't mean it doesn't work or that they put less effort into their product.

bpmorton, i understand you have something you trust and works for you, good on ya, but mine works just as well and is free, you can argue this all day long, but i've been using it for 2 years and not one problem. so you keep paying your fee, I don't care. but I'm telling the rest of the open minded people here, theres one out there that works great and is free. And made by the same company providing your operating system. ( Most of you anyway)

ignorance is......... ignorant

with you here, all the software i have used that has been paid for is crap and is full bollocks you don't need. take norton for example, PISH! zone alarm, PISH! McAfee PISH! the only software im running just now is avg. it has done the trick in many cases like. and is totally free and doesnt clog my pc with useless extensions that do nothing.

Cagey, don't confuse windows inability to release a new OS on schedule, with a smart dept capable of providing a good service, however i do somewhat agree with your premiss  :toothy11:

Alfang said:
Cagey, don't confuse windows inability to release a new OS on schedule, with a smart dept capable of providing a good service, however i do somewhat agree with your premiss  :toothy11:

I would never base a judgement like that on something so shallow as a release schedule. I just know Microsoft, operating systems, and computers, having been in it since before The PC even existed, or MS-DOS, or any of the fun stuff since. One of my first "real" computers was one of these..., which predated the PC by about 7 years or so.

Altair_8800_Computer.jpg

No DOS for that baby. CP/M all the way! Or, you could step-edit machine code in via the front panel switches. Talk about learn new swear words! <grin>

The last few weeks I've been hearing a popping noise like a window or balloon is opening on my desktop, but there is nothing there.  When I run AVG, I find no viruses and when I run Spybot S&D, it comes back clean.  I've noticed since then that my computer is running slower then normal and my computer has had the blue screen of death twice yesterday. 

Any ideas?

lafromla1 said:
The last few weeks I've been hearing a popping noise like a window or balloon is opening on my desktop, but there is nothing there.  When I run AVG, I find no viruses and when I run Spybot S&D, it comes back clean.  I've noticed since then that my computer is running slower then normal and my computer has had the blue screen of death twice yesterday. 

Any ideas?
a new virus that the software hasn't been updated to or any previous virus that you got rid off has also taken some of the windows critical files with it. Thats about the best I can do Afro... :dontknow:

Just read about a couple of awesome computer viruses today, but this one's my all time favorite (don't know if it's true, but it still sounds awesome):

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/11/stuxnet-is-game-changing-weaponized.html Especially the first comment about the CIA being competent.

The other one was this:

http://blog.fortinet.com/all-your-drives-are-belong-to-us/

Life could be worse - you could be responsible for a nuclear program under some crazy despot while a stealth virus is picking you apart from the inside like ebola.

lafromla1 said:

Any ideas?

I've had that before too. You may want to try to elimate tasks running in the background (i.e. Winamp agent or iTunes). I found that a program I had once would make a slight clicking sound randomly as well. The worst part was that it was at work, and I had my desk next to a grouchy old bitty who had been there since they laid the foundation (her IT background was AS/400). She would bellyache due to any noise you made--the woman could literally hear a mouse fart in a wool sock, and was notorious for overhearing your telephone conversation.

Back