JUNE GUITAR/BASS of the MONTH ENTREES: Owner finished!

It has to be a Warmoth made, user finished guitar doesn't it?

The aluminum Tele and that wooden airplane thing were not made by Warmoth, so IMO, they should not qualify.

line6man said:

The aluminum Tele and that wooden airplane thing were not made by Warmoth, so IMO, they should not qualify.

very predictable..

line6man said:

I never really specified.  The main distinction was either Warmoth finished or Owner finished.  I question the metal tele but big bob's resin wonder with a warmoth neck took some work.  Its a free country...not afraid of competition.  This who thing is about showing off our building skills. :headbang1:

I think we may have uncovered the only 2 unique siturations here.  If no one agrees with them...then do not vote for them.

Where is METALMAN???

i was going to ask the same thing. metalman's VIP might be my favorite i've seen lately. that things a monster  :icon_biggrin:

Well... As I like to see the wood and don't like the feel of slick plastic, I am a fan of just wiping 'em down in Tung Oil and calling it a day.  Less is More. 

Here's my Bubinga topped thinline.  Owner finished.

3241677865_57a877897e.jpg

3242513468_2a8155fd04.jpg

3248830207_ec85a8835f.jpg

3248830203_05e4363c25.jpg

3241682549_293b444e0c.jpg

3248830215_378d718499.jpg

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heGlB2Hj40k[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJnm0_BaExk[/youtube]

big bob said:
Death by Uberschall said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
big bob said:
I nominate this one,

I think it's stubhead's
As much as that is cool, thats not warmoth, or even wood.
Or "finished!".  :icon_jokercolor:

if you don't think the finish on that sucker took time and patience you have gone totaly insane. no one said they had to be made of wood nor was it specified that it need be  finished with some type of coating/paint. and I bet the neck is warmoth, as is the pickguard, and I bet the neck is wood, and I bet if you look at it long enough you might just get wood.. I know it gives me wood when I look at it..  :cool01:

just trying to keep you guys honest..

Ok, let me clarify. My comment about being not "finished" is the fact that the picture shows an incomplete guitar, no tuners, no saddles, no strings, etc. The guitar is not a completed instrument in that pic.  :dontknow:

Also, usually if there is some type of emoticon :)icon_jokercolor:) next to something it's meant to being taken with some humor attached.  :icon_thumright:

Thank you and have a nice day.  :icon_jokercolor:

big bob said:
big bob said:
I nominate this one,

I think it's stubhead's
Or "finished!".  :icon_jokercolor:

yes good point about the emoticon, was just pulling the chain.. did not want to appear mad  :icon_thumright:

if you don't think the finish on that sucker took time and patience you have gone totaly insane. no one said they had to be made of wood nor was it specified that it need be  finished with some type of coating/paint. and I bet the neck is warmoth, as is the pickguard, and I bet the neck is wood, and I bet if you look at it long enough you might just get wood.. I know it gives me wood when I look at it..  :cool01:

Ok, let me clarify. My comment about being not "finished" is the fact that the picture shows an incomplete guitar, no tuners, no saddles, no strings, etc. The guitar is not a completed instrument in that pic.  :dontknow:

Also, usually if there is some type of emoticon :)icon_jokercolor:) next to something it's meant to being taken with some humor attached.  :icon_thumright:

Thank you and have a nice day.  :icon_jokercolor:

big bob said:
big bob said:
big bob said:
I nominate this one,

I think it's stubhead's
Or "finished!".  :icon_jokercolor:

yes good point about the emoticon, was just pulling the chain.. did not want to appear mad   :icon_thumright:

if you don't think the finish on that sucker took time and patience you have gone totaly insane. no one said they had to be made of wood nor was it specified that it need be  finished with some type of coating/paint. and I bet the neck is warmoth, as is the pickguard, and I bet the neck is wood, and I bet if you look at it long enough you might just get wood.. I know it gives me wood when I look at it..  :cool01:

Ok, let me clarify. My comment about being not "finished" is the fact that the picture shows an incomplete guitar, no tuners, no saddles, no strings, etc. The guitar is not a completed instrument in that pic.  :dontknow:

Thank you and have a nice day.  :icon_jokercolor:

It all good.  :headbang:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7931.0

Black Korina with flame maple top, dyed with waterbased dyes, finished in a satin Nitro finish by myself, (not bad for my first time!)
Standard Thin mahogany neck with variax headstock,
schaller locking tuners
PRS vintage bass neck pickup, PRS tremonti bridge pickup
CTS pots
3486412239_571dbaa72d.jpg

3486412129_9efbcf688e.jpg

3587537261_650d085382.jpg

Hey Knob, that's a sweet tele! I really dig the wooden P-90's! Do the covers affect the sound?

Vol. Knob said:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heGlB2Hj40k[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJnm0_BaExk[/youtube]

Impressive! Great sound What kind of amp and pedals are you using in the second clip?

Ok, I'll bite this time - this is not nearly as impressive as some of those already posted, but I'm very happy with it.
"screamin deals" basic alder body (sub 4 lb)  / closeout maple neck, SRV back 6150 frets. Spray can nitro finish all over, my first burst. Originally had cheaper hardware and pups, now it has a callaham bridge, locking gotohs, and Dimarzio Area noiseless pups. The 2nd tone is a neck / bridge blender + pull for series operation. Recently had a full fret level and the edges bevelled a bit, polished up the finish a bit more - but not too much. Now it's just awesome, awesome all over, not really a looker but definitely a player.

cool stuff Tfarny, I dig the satin finish, it really is my favorite type! How does that SRV neck feel? (the contour I mean)

It's really pretty thick - quite a bit more than the standard. And if you spend all your time with your thumb in classical position, you might hate it. But if you keep your thumb mostly in 'lazy position' and you have bigger hands it's great. Basically, big hands, blues / rhythm stuff it's perfect. Thanks for the compliments, if you ever want to trade away that VIP let me know! :icon_jokercolor:

Mapleg4 said:
Impressive! Great sound What kind of amp and pedals are you using in the second clip?

2nd clip, I'm running through a '69 Teisco Checkmate 15 that I found in a pile of trash at the side of the road in the rain.  I only replaced two things on it, the fuse and the speaker.  The speaker is an Altec 425 8H, a very very heavy 10 incher that itself is probably at least 25 years old.  Its not too loud, just enough for what we do.  I'm guessing around 20 watts.  Its kinda on the voxy side, headroom all the way up.  You gotta hit it HARD with a boost to make it get any natural tube distortion.  I suppose I could send it to a tech and have it opimized for performance....  But I like it as it is.   THAT SAID...  Its fussy.  It works great for practice.  But as soon as I take it outa the house for a gig, it decides it doesnt want to turn on, or it drops in power.  At home, its killer.  away from home, it reminds me of my first ex wife.  It can be seen also in the youtube below, at the very end of the song...  where I fall onto the floor against it... its part of the coreography.... really...

Yeah..  I should get it worked on...  

DSCF1196.JPG

For pedals...  Here's where I cheat.  I'm using a Vox Valvetronix Tonelab SE.  But just the overdrive model, no amp models when I actually use an amp (in the youtube clip, for example).  Since we're a cover band, I need an assortment of tones, its easier just to carry the modeling pedalboard full of presets and run through the PA.  Plus, at a gig, setup and teardown goes faster.  And when your given an hour INCLUDING setup and teardown....   I don't want anything complicated.  And I keep my presets simple.  I am a tonesnob, but I also recognize that 99.5% of the audience doesnt care about such minutia.  The vast majority in the audience is more likely to be paying attention to the vocals, dancing to the beat, or saying "Holy crap, they're playing The Time Warp!!!" (from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, see youtube from a band practice below).  Nobody cares about what the guitarist does anymore.....  You wanna keep 'em dancing.  Not critiquing yer gear.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYjh8iN-LpQ[/youtube]

metalman22105 said:
Hey Knob, that's a sweet tele! I really dig the wooden P-90's! Do the covers affect the sound?
That debate has raged many times as I've posted pics of my guitars.  I have two other guitars with wood pickup covers, and I will be making at least two more before I'm done.  IMHO, YES the wood does indeed improve tone, wood sounds better than plastic.  But I'll entertain the idea that they don't, with the exception that the beauty of the guitar, pickups included, act as my muse, thus inspiring me to play better.  So...  even if the wood doesnt effect the tone (and I think it does) it makes the guitar (and player) sound better.  Holistic and hippy-dippy explanation, I know.  But its my closing argument on the subject.

The pickups are by Reed James Custom
http://www.reedjamescustom.com

I think this is only for owner-finished guitars, not that your tele isn't absolutely awesome!

Back