Jim's Stuff

jimh

Hey guys.  I just saw some of your amp rigs on a couple of other posts.  Particularly yours Ted.  I need a Matamp now.

So anyway, I just thought I'd post a couple of pics of my gear in case you might be interested.....

You've already seen my 8-Ball strat in the "finished builds" section.
Well here's the rest.

My Epi Les Paul - Birdseye maple top, Seymour Duncan JB & SD59 neck.  My dad bought me this for my 16th b'day, my 1st 'real' guitar. Never seen another one like it.
My Gibson ES137 - Totally stock. Might change out the Gibson 498T&R pickups for Bare Knuckles one day if I can be bothered and if I've got the money.  I'm generally pretty happy with it.
My Ceriatone Marshall 1987 'Plexi' clone into the Orange 2x12 cab - This thing really shouts at you when you push it hard. Awesome.
My Cornford Hurricane - This 20W beauty is a real tone monster.  Cant get a bad sound out of it.  Sounds great with some Humbuckers.  The gibson really sings through this little bad boy.

I've also got a Torres 1.5W "Tiny Tone" head running into a 1x12 Laney cab loaded with a Celestion Greenback which I use at home, so as not to deafen the neighbours.  I built it then found out that Torres have a bit of a bad name on the Self-Build / modding scene.  It's OK for me though, even though I was a little expensive compared to other kits around.

Cheers for now.

Jim

Attachments

• CIMG0069.JPG
    CIMG0069.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 422
Plexi + pedals (I've recently added a EHX POG to the collection too.  Way cool)

Attachments

• CIMG0082.JPG
    CIMG0082.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 435
Me and my Hurricane in the background.

Attachments

• CIMG0093.JPG
    CIMG0093.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 431
Hell yeah, Jimmy boy!  I played through one of those Hurricanes at a local shop once, it blew me away.  It didn't last long there and they haven't had another since.  Did you build the Plexi clone yourself?  This is something I would like to try at some point, but another Warmoth has to come first.  Anyway, looks like you have got a nice little set-up there!

LOVE the 137 shape, nice choice.

I'm a small clone pedal boy too. It's all the chorus I ever need, quite a bit of sound from one knob, one switch eh?

bpmorton777 said:
Nice stuff dude! :hello2:  your recording studio or someone elses?

Brian
Hey Brian.  I wish it was mine.  Actually a friend of mine, Andy (used to be the drummer in my old band) is an installation engineer for a company called Solid State Logic aka SSL, who build the Rolls Royce's of audio mixing desks.  SSL bought out a new product and he needed to familiarise himself with it (check this on their website.  It's the room we recorded in - http://www.solid-state-logic.com/images/Duality/Duality2.jpg), so he invited us .up to come and mess around in one of their product demo rooms.  They have a full on maxed out Pro-Tools HD rig with all the outboard gear you could ever dream of.  Andy is used to it cos he works there, but I was in heaven that weekend.
We recorded his drums down, and then ended up putting down about 25 guitar tracks, double tracking, then triple tracking.....just layering them and layering them.  Cos we could. Total overkill.  It was hilarious.  I managed to use all the different combinations of guitars and amps that I own.  Then our other buddy Sam put down a few bass tracks.  Majorly over the top, but it was fun and free, and who cares ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

guitlouie said:
Hell yeah, Jimmy boy!  I played through one of those Hurricanes at a local shop once, it blew me away.  It didn't last long there and they haven't had another since.  Did you build the Plexi clone yourself?  This is something I would like to try at some point, but another Warmoth has to come first.  Anyway, looks like you have got a nice little set-up there!
Hi Guitlouie
The hurricane is amazing.  It's only 20W, but just sounds so sweet.  I can pair it up with an extra 1x12 celestion greenback if I need a bit of extra projection in a room.  Not that I'm gigging or anything at the moment.

The Plexi clone, I got from Ceriatone. I bought it as a kit, and built it myself just because I wanted to try.  I'm a broadcast engineer by trade, and so I'm fairly happy with electronics. But if you are not happy with doing it yourself, and there are some genuinely lethal voltages lurking around inside valve amps, then Nik at Ceriatone will put it together for you.  They are ridiculously cheap for what you get.  I'd definitly recommend it.  I'm never going to buy a new/production amp again (unless I find real beauty/bargain - obviously)

nathan a said:
LOVE the 137 shape, nice choice.

I'm a small clone pedal boy too. It's all the chorus I ever need, quite a bit of sound from one knob, one switch eh?
Nathan.
Yeah the 137 is great.  It's got the hollow chunkiness of the 335 and feedback rejection cos of the centre section solid block running through the middle of it, but it's got the look and feel, and warmth of a 175.  Luuuurrrrrvely.
And yeah, the Small Clone is great.  it'll do anything from a light shimmer to total madness.

Cheers Guys.
jim 

Back