Jazzmasterish First Build

Shagstar40

So I made a deal with my wife that if I hit my weight loss goal and held it there I got to build my dream guitar. I really wanted something along the lines of Jerry Garcia's late guitars with lots of electronic options but a very classic finish, or similar to Tom Hamilton's rig with Joe Russo's Almost Dead. The resulting guitar was as follows:

Model:    Chambered Jazzmaster®
Orientation:    Right handed
Scale:    25-1/2"
Wood:    Quilt Maple on Black Korina
UC Front Laminate:    LT2913
Rout:    Rear Rout
Pickup Rout:    Humbucker (Neck), Humbucker (Middle), Humbucker (Brdg)
Controls:    X-X-X-5-X (Jazzmaster®)
Bridge:    Recessed TOM-Arched Strings
Jack Rout:    No Side Jack Hole
Neck Pocket:    Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes:    Standard 4 Bolt
Contours:    Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
F-Holes:    1
Binding:    Natural Masked AccenT
Top Finish:    Tigers Eye
Back Finish:    Transparent Brown
Finish Type:    Gloss Finish

CUSTOMNECK
Style:    Mooncaster
Construction:    Modern Construction
Scale:    25-1/2"
Orientation:    Right Handed
Neck Wood:    Roasted Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood:    Indian Rosewood (Dark)
Nut Width:    1-11/16"
Back Shape:    Clapton
Fret Size:    6150
Tuner Ream:    Schaller (25/64")
Radius:    10-16" Compound
Fret #:    22
Mounting Holes:    Standard 4 Bolt
Inlays:    White Pearloid Trapezoid
Side Dots:    Black Side Dots
Binding:    Ivoroid
String Nut:    GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Finish:    No Finish

Ordered some custom decals from Rothko for the headstock then sprayed lacquer.

I am using an Emerson blender five way Strat kit for electronics in 500k with Triple Shot outfitted Pearly Gates humbuckers at the neck and bridge and a Phat Cat in the middle.

I have a gorgeous neck plate coming from Doug, and once that arrives I can string it up and see if she sounds half as good as she looks!

It is definitely planting the seed for wanting to do a much more self-built and finished custom build rather than the pre-finished kit, but man it was pretty this way!

Attachments

• Boxes.png
    Boxes.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Unboxed.png
    Unboxed.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
  • First look.png
    First look.png
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • Guts.png
    Guts.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Plate.png
    Plate.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Top Down.jpg
    Top Down.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Bottoms Up.png
    Bottoms Up.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
First off, good job on the weight loss, and on keeping it off.  I struggle myself with that, and I'm glad it's a battle where you are have taken the upper hand.  It can be a challenge, and it's great to see someone succeed.

Second, beautiful job on that guitar.  The choices you made all go together beautifully.  And I like that decal a lot.  You'll definitely be the only kid on your block with one of those babies.

How do you have the pickups wired?  I'd be curious to know how you did that.

Congratulations and may you continue to enjoy your new, leaner physique.  The missus has gotta be happy about it, too, yes?

Well done on the weight loss and realising the guitar you wanted to put together.

JFYI Warmoth supplies custom parts so technically what you have was not a kit.

Congrats on this new and beautiful guitar project. :icon_thumright: Congrats also on maintaining your weight goal. :icon_thumright:

Bagman67 said:
How do you have the pickups wired?  I'd be curious to know how you did that.

Congratulations and may you continue to enjoy your new, leaner physique.  The missus has gotta be happy about it, too, yes?

The pickups are wired with Seymour Duncan Triple Shot rings on the humbuckers, and a regular five way switch.  I used the Emerson blender pot so that I can actually run any individual coil with any other (or by itself). The Triple Shots let you pick adjustable or slug coil, or series or parallel humbucker, and the blender pot lets you add in the bridge or neck pickup when you select away from them with the five way.  So I can do a reasonable impersonation of Strat tones, Tele tones, LP type dual HB tones, and the p90 just for funsies all by itself!

Superb! Great concept and even better execution. That's a gorgeous guitar. Congrats!

:kewlpics:
Love the way the finish on your body turned out. Very nice!!
Mine is in CNC shop now getting cut.
Keep up good work.

Back