Jazz Candy (now a work in progress thread)

Candy Green Jazz Bass body in alder.

IMAG2943_zps8662319a.jpg

Day-mun said:
That looks sticky-sweet!  :icon_tongue:

What's your plans for this one?

It's probably gonna sit a while as I haven't ordered any other parts yet.  I'm planning a gold anodized pickguard, some kind of noiseless pickups, and the old school pickup and bridge covers.  The neck is an existing one, birdseye maple/pao ferro with blocks and ivoroid binding.  I haven't decided if I wanna stay passive or do a preamp.

I'd say that body is screaming for white (or ivory/cream) EMGs, especially if you want noiseless.  Then again, if you're going for the pickup covers, it won't really matter what color the pickups are.  If you're going gold anodized guard, will you also go for gold hardware/pickup covers?  (there's some here).

'Twould be radical in quantities moste potente should you find a smith to forgest thou a gold anodized guard & control plate combination unit, like unto the Jazz Basses of yore*:
41014.jpg

* Days of yore = early 1980s

I've got EMGs in 2 J Basses already and want something different.  I'd rather do passive pickups with active EQ than active pickups with passive tone controls.

The gold anodized guard is different color gold than gold hardware.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I've got EMGs in 2 J Basses already and want something different.  I'd rather do passive pickups with active EQ than active pickups with passive tone controls.

The gold anodized guard is different color gold than gold hardware.

Bartolinis & John East preamp/EQ?

Day-mun said:
ihnpts said:
41014.jpg

* Days of yore = early 1980s

I'd still like to see W start makin' J-bass pickguards like this...

WD sells those.  IIRC, it's based on the 83 cost cutting moves.  The Strat underwent something similar, doing away with the angled jack plate, losing the 2nd tone pot and moving the jack to that location.  As much as I don't care for it and could make up reasons why, it's not too dissimilar to the P-Bass concept.

The gold anodized pickguard arrived today.  After seeing it on there, I may opt for a tortoise one I have lying around.  It looks  less gold and more like brown or copper than I intended.  The holes are in different places, so I'll test with all pieces installed without drilling.

The blue painters tape is because I'm applying shielding paint to the cavity.

IMAG2972-1_zpse586c300.jpg

This might as be my "work in progress" thread.  A month ago, I got a drill press for my birthday from the Mrs. with the intent of doing threaded inserts on the neck.  Rather than pause and take my time with this build like I intended, I made a list and ordered all the parts.  Long story made longer, it is tempting to put threaded inserts on everything that gets mechanically attached.  I stopped short and prioritized to things that get removed most often; the control plate and whatever that horseshoe shaped pickup cover is called.  When the backordered bridge comes in, the ashtray style bridge and pickup cover will get them too.  Pickguard, bridge, and strap buttons were spared the insert treatment.  Still on the fence about the thumb rest getting them.

P.S.  It took 6 coats of shielding paint to get down to 4 ohms.

IMAG2981_zps3a1661a3.jpg

Back