Jazz Bass arrived, good n' bad

Toulouse_Tuhles

New swamp ash (?) Jazz Bass arrived today.
The good - flawless workmanship, great finish (clear), stunning grain on a 1 piece body.
The bad - heavy as a mofo.  Weighs well over 7lbs - maxed my mail scale out! 

Looked at W's website - most bodies are in the 5-6lbs range, a few over 6, some under 5.  I guess its the luck of the draw. 

But its a real purty one piece.  Its a keeper, heavy as it is!

body-jpg.644086

Jeeze... been workin 12 hour days, give a guy a chance!  :)
No complaints really, just a bit heavy, a bit dark in the finish, but that can't be predicted.  I do think the finish is not totally "clear" as I asked for.  Notice the darker "pooling" in certain low areas like the middle of the bottom of the pickup routes and around the pickup screw holes where the finish pooled a bit.  Dunno what's with that, but... its a keeper

Weight can be surprising sometimes. I keep a pretty accurate scale here to tell me what I'm feeling, when I wonder. I would think that for a bass, a lotta mass would be a Good Thing. Keep the whole from absorbing as much energy from those heavy strings, so you get some added sustain out of the deal. But what do I know? In any case, it sure is sharp :icon_biggrin:

That does look good. I like the grain pattern, very pleasing.

For some reason the image doesn't show for me so I copied the url from your post and ran it in my browser window.

Cagey said:
I would think that for a bass, a lotta mass would be a Good Thing. Keep the whole from absorbing as much energy from those heavy strings, so you get some added sustain out of the deal. But what do I know? In any case, it sure is sharp :icon_biggrin:
Maybe so Cagey.  Then again you can say the same about a guitar.  And... how limber the neck is seems to be more of a sustain effecting feature.  I'll be sitting, 99 out of 100 times... crap... out of 1000 times I play bass anyway.
Gotta open up the string ferrule holes to accept Fender ferrules then go hunting for bridge screws.  Fender bridge was a "replacement part", not retail, so no screws to mount it.

When I think of something being "limber", I think of "flexible" or "springy", which would be deleterious to sustain. You'd want something that didn't flex, attached to something that wouldn't move easily (lotta inertia) if you want a lotta sustain. So, a Maple neck would be brighter and longer sustaining than, say, a Mahogany part because it's stiffer. Wouldn't absorb energy, like a spring does. Of course, thickness and length is also a factor, so material is not always as intuitive as sometimes thought. For example, there are a lotta LPs out there with Mahogany necks & lotsa sustain...

If you're putting a pickguard on it, you can rout pockets under that to alleviate some of the weight, probably at least half a pound.

Yah.... right now I want to see what its like.  I can always hog out some wood later if I just can't stand it.
And, I've got the body all together.  Its in the WIP section with a picture

Back