It Might Get Loud

GoDrex

http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/

Jimmy Page, The Edge, Jack White

definitely want to check it out.

discuss...

It piqued my interests a while ago. I want to see it sometime. I enjoy rock documentaries, and this one has three guitarists I really respect. The Edge might be my least favorite, but he must be doing something right.

The who?  Jack what?

Page is the only one in that list that deserves to be on it... noodle-fingers and all.

Viva El Pagey!  :headbang:

Max said:
It piqued my interests a while ago. I want to see it sometime. I enjoy rock documentaries, and this one has three guitarists I really respect. The Edge might be my least favorite, but he must be doing something right.

OMG you prefer Jack White over The Edge?  you can't really argue about (bad) taste, but I think The Edge is the perfect example of a guitarist who is not extremely technical, but really creative and experimental with his style, effects and tone...

btw, can't stand white stripes.. call me conservative,  but I like my music nicely balanced... with a Bassplayer and that kind of stuff

I agree with SL... Jimmy Page is a top-tier guitarist, one of the best ever.  Jack White and the Edge are "just" good.

Markoooooo said:
Max said:

OMG you prefer Jack White over The Edge?  you can't really argue about (bad) taste, but I think The Edge is the perfect example of a guitarist who is not extremely technical, but really creative and experimental with his style, effects and tone...

btw, can't stand white stripes.. call me conservative,  but I like my music nicely balanced... with a Bassplayer and that kind of stuff
I enjoy some of the riff-based songs they do, same reason I like Zeppelin. Riff-based blues-rock gets me going.

Def agree - Page is not in the same category as Edge or Jack White, both of whom I like a lot. Being good with a delay pedal doesn't = Page's body of work.

tfarny said:
Def agree - Page is not in the same category as Edge or Jack White, both of whom I like a lot. Being good with a delay pedal doesn't = Page's body of work.

+1 on that!  :headbang1:
I respect The Edge and Jack White for what they do because I truly enjoy all types of music. 
That being said; Page is the only legend in the bunch...

Regardless of the mix, this should be an interesting film  :rock-on:

I think you guys are sort of viewing this in a weird way. I don't think anyone saying these guys are equal. It's about three different generations. Page is the old school rock legend, The Edge is sort of the more modern reaction to (and against that) that, and Jack White is the guy that brings it back to the old school.

btw - U2's career is certainly just as successful as Led Zeppelin's. Whether you like their music or not, their success surely equals what LZ achieved and their longevity surpasses them. Zeppelin was only around for 11 or so years. U2 is going on 30 years. What did Page do after LZ ended? Very little of note. Since 1980 (the year U2's first album came out) Page has been pretty much irrelevant, as far as anything new is concerned. In a way I find some aspects of their playing similar. They're both tone freaks, as far as getting sounds for songs. Some guys have the same kind of song for each song, but Page and The Edge are the type that get a different sound or texture for nearly every song.

here's a bit of Jack White, with Loretta Lynn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SHAX4z4sLg

Let's see ... to me
Page is legend
but between the other two I have to give the edge to Jack White.  I suppose the reason I like White better is that he speaks to my blues and punk interests more directly.

I'm going to make the argument that of the three, the Edge is the most innovative and interesting. Page and White owe everything they do to the past, to the blues and rock n' roll guys that they copy. The Edge invented his own style and he never kept it the same like the other two. The Edge started out with a sound that no one had really heard before, and with each album his sound evolved and changed radically. Jimmy Page mainly incorporated other people's styles into his own playing (being a studio musician this makes sense). You can pretty much go through his records and pick out all the styles and people he's copping. And to me, Jack White is even more of a traditionalist than Page was.

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/la-et-loud18-2009jun18,0,3690452.story

"What we were trying to accomplish was not to make a list of the three greatest or the three this or that," Tull says. "It was really about bringing different eras, styles and personalities to bear . . .

the edge pun was intended :rock-on:

I like White because he's up to date, but rooted in tradition.  True about the edge (I wonder if the postman calls him Mr. Edge) he does have his own innovative style ... good observation GoDrex.

here's a bit of Jack White, with Loretta Lynn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SHAX4z4sLg

Wow, a side of Loretta Lynn I have never seen!  Not sure if it's her best work, but interesting none the less :eek:ccasion14:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Lear_Rose

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/4961-van-lear-rose/

kind of hard to miss that one...

Rick said:
I suppose the reason I like White better is that he speaks to my blues and punk interests more directly.

That is ironic, considering that U2 came out of the original Punk Rock movement in the late 70s

Rick said:
the edge pun was intended :rock-on:

I like White because he's up to date, but rooted in tradition.  True about the edge (I wonder if the postman calls him Mr. Edge) he does have his own innovative style ... good observation GoDrex.

I used to live in the same town as mister edge and when he had to post his planning application (for an addition to his (pink) house) in our local community newsletter, he listed it as D.Evans. unfortunately not as Edge, The

Why would the postman call him "Mr. Edge"?  I think my postman calls me "hey".

Back