Is there anyone here who can do a Faded Blue Jean finish like PRS?

Disco Scottie

I'm scared to try doing finishes myself and am happy to pay for quality work. Is there anyone here who can do this:

1467381311-23600900.jpg

I know you say 'anyone here', but if you're ready to pay for quality work then I would highly recommend reaching out to Pat Wilkins Guitars.

This faded blue jeans looks like a stain + sandback, or likely double stain+sandback.
I've had fun doing a few PRS-style dye finishes on bodies/backplates/truss rod covers (dragon breath, dragon glow, frost bite, charcoal, Erica verde,...) the past year, but not confident to the point where I would attempt replicating this faded blue jeans on a body.

The tricky part is that even when PRS does it, it can look drastically different.
That too is faded blue jeans, and I've seen recent ones with even more vivid blue:
200299884_lg3.jpg

This is more like the one you showed:
200288170_lg4_ebay.jpg

Yeah, it seems to me the faded-denim look from PRS depends heavily on the underlying specimen of lumber, which can vary widely in tendency to soak up the dye, and also how hard the finishing technician bears down with the sander after the dye is applied.  The process itself is simple - dye, sand back, dye some more - but getting the color concentration right, and more particularly, getting it to YOUR vision of what the faded denim should look like - is the tough part.

By the way Warmoth's washed blue dye is basically a clone of that faded blue jeans color.
If you are going to order a new body I'd let Warmoth do it, their finishing cost is much cheaper than any dedicated shop you'll find.
If it's for something else, I'd reach out to Pat Wilkins. There's Starr Guitars too but he is doing nitro only these days.

Disco Scottie said:
I'm scared to try doing finishes myself and am happy to pay for quality work. Is there anyone here who can do this:

1467381311-23600900.jpg

I know it's been a while, but the intermediate step I got yesterday for the body I just stained immediately reminded me of that Faded Blue Jeans finish:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33114.0

wKxgbbz.jpg

I feel like that's pretty easy to replicate as long as the body has strong curls.
You'd just do a lighter sand back than I did.
And you would also want to use a less vivid blue than I used (just cutting blue with black dye will get you that slightly grey-ish blue of faded blue jeans).

Back