Is the showcase more accurate for finishes?

juliancs

I originally wanted to go with a green dye, after seeing the awesome dark, deep green on the "green dye" page under paint. However, looking at all the green dyes on the showcase page, they all seem really bright...I guess the showcase is more accurate?

I'm not really the one to answer your question, but I'll tell you what I know. The showcase is good for getting an idea of how a finish could look, but no 2 finishes are ever exactly the same (except for solid colors).

Also, on the Paints & Finishes page, Warmoth has this at the bottom:

"** Colors shown are an approximation of the final product, some variations are expected."

jalbertochavez said:
I'm not really the one to answer your question, but I'll tell you what I know. The showcase is good for getting an idea of how a finish could look, but no 2 finishes are ever exactly the same (except for solid colors).

"** Colors shown are an approximation of the final product, some variations are expected."
Thanks for your reply. I totally understand they are all different, but the finish in the "green dye" in the "paint" section is a few shades darker than ALL of the showcase stuff...

As someone who has purchased two bodies from the showcase, I have to mention that both of mine looked quite a little bit different when they arrived in my home than they appeared in the showcase.  I think it has to do with a combination of the lighting and backgrounds used to photograph the bodies and the obvious differences in computer moniters.  I would say that Warmoth does an excellent job of portraying the showcase bodies condiering all the variables, but this is something to think about.  My most recent purchase was a tobacco burst on korina, and in the showcase looked quite orange.  In natural light here it looks like most of the orange tones in the pictures are more brown. 

Could it be such a bright green because of all the light? I don't mind it looking like that under full light, 'gleaming', but under normal everyday thin, I'd really like a nice dark emerald green. It's just everyone has a red/black/white/tobacco guitar :)

Mine looked a lot different as well, but it was I thought it looked a whole lot better than the photograph.  I don't think some of their finishes photograph particularly well, but they look spectacular when you get them.

I bought a tangerine sparkle telecaster body from the showcase last year and it turned out to be a quite different shade of orange than it had looked in the picture. Having said that it is still quite stunning so I was not disappointed. Perhaps oranges & browns do not reproduce well on the computer screen.

For their showcase photos, I think Warmoth is using bright lighting with a color temperature close to daylight.

juliancs said:
jalbertochavez said:

Thanks for your reply. I totally understand they are all different, but the finish in the "green dye" in the "paint" section is a few shades darker than ALL of the showcase stuff...

If It was that soloist body that I'm thinking of... I hate you and hope you burn in Hell... :rock-on:

I am still so worried about getting a really light green. Argh....A red dye would be safe but boring! To those with a gren dye - under normal light, how bright is the green? I don't mind it lighting up under flash and stuff, but it's the normal light I'm worried about  :sad1:

This topic is interesting to me as well, because I want a transparent green over alder with a solid black boarder (like a sunburst Strat)...

juliancs, let me repeat what others have said very clearly - you won't know what it looks like till you get it. Partly that's a problem with cameras and computer monitors, and partly its because the final color on a dye or burst is influenced by the wood under it. How others guitars look is no guarantee that yours will look the same. You need to have some tolerance for ambiguity to do this thing. Warmoth won't be able to read your mind and produce what's in it. You need a 'real' custom shop for that. I hope you're not setting yourself up for bitter disappointment, because you don't seem to have much tolerance for ambiguity. And these guitars have very low resale value unfortunately.  If it's light green but gorgeous and otherwise perfect, how will you feel?
Here's a suggestion: buy the cheapest possible warmoth (showcase tele or strat, probably) and put it together and enjoy it for a year or so, then decide if you want to take this whole thing further. You can do it for about $650 US more or less.
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=SN3815&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=PS1663&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=2&subMenuItem2=0
Spray the neck with Deft clear lacquer (works great, looks totally professional, $5 a can) Add these pickups: http://store.guitarfetish.com/pralstpiourb.html , the gotoh sg38 tuners (they work great!) and a basic 2-hole trem and you're still less than $600, and just need the random little pieces. You'll have an utterly wicked guitar, without going bankrupt and demanding that it be the greatest instrument in the universe.
Also forget the idea that you'll make this one perfect guitar to cure your guitar habit, it's an addiction, that's why there's such an active forum. Jack and willyk each have more guitars than my wife has shoes (and that's serious!)

tfarny said:
juliancs, let me repeat what others have said very clearly ..

Hi tfarny,
Thanks for your response - I totally agree. I know I am being impossible and pedantic about this whole project. My only reason is this -everything else (assuming I like stainless steel 6105's and the neck :D ) is perfect on the guitar, and it will be a gift from god if the green is what I have in mind. I have been scouring the net for a good looking green guitar with a flame maple, and have only really found quilt maples (seems not many combine flame + green, although there are some nice ones!). However, I am paying 850 dollars extra for a high grade flame maple, and despite looking at all the other finishes -I want a green guitar-. Now, in my perusing of the net, I have found that green guitars are wildly unpopular, which makes me want one more. It's a bit of a different colour, and less safe, than red, black and tobacco. I  am paying so much extra for a nicer top because the dudes at Warmoth have told me it will soak up more dye. The "3dness" of the dye finish is very attractive to me - from what I can tell it shines different in different lights etc. I want to be more specific - I don't mind a light green so much as I would mind a "puke" green : /. I realise these guitars have little resale value and much of my extra spending on this guitar is aesthetic (I could just order a flame maple top and see what happens, but again - they told me higher grades give a deeper green), which is why I'm a little paranoid - I get one shot at it! I know it will be nice, and I think I just have to order it and trust warmoth. Even the guy on the phone told me if it's really not what I want I have 10 days to send it back (to which I informed him that after biting my nails waiting for 12 weeks they could send me anything!!). I don't know, I feel childish repeating the same questions here over and over, but I want this thing to be right! Everything I'm fretting over now is silly - black neck or not, un finished or not, matching headstock or not, hardware colour etc etc.
Anyway, I'm going to wait until the end of the week to see if any more tops come up, and then if not, I'm ordering it. In green. Light or dark.  :guitaristgif:
Unfortunately I know this will not be the last Warmoth I order :)

I'm getting a green guitar body done in '09. You better re-think your color again hahaha :binkybaby:

tfarny said:
Also forget the idea that you'll make this one perfect guitar to cure your guitar habit, it's an addiction, that's why there's such an active forum. Jack and willyk each have more guitars than my wife has shoes (and that's serious!)

It's a good thing my woman isn't into building custom guitars.  Shoes are cheaper.  :)

I'm hoping the guitars in the showcase, particularly the Black-Brown-Yellow Bursts, look a bit darker in real life.  The yellows are too yellow in the showcase photos. 

My B-B-Y burst Strat body should be here Monday (4/21), I'm hoping it looks a bit more classic/vintage than the showcase photos portray.

Does anyone have a good B-B-Y burst photo handy? 

Back