Is "Standard Thin" too thin?

Chrisk-K

I'm in the process of buying stuff for my first ever Warmoth Strat build. I have two MIA Fender Strat and love the necks. Based on the info at Fender.com, the Fender Modern C profile is: .820" at the 1st fret and .870" at the 12th fret.

The Warmoth Standard Thin neck profile is supposed to be very similar to that of the Fender C neck. However, the Thin neck profile is .800" and .850," thinner than the Fender Modern C at least on paper.

Do you notice that the Warmoth Thin neck is noticeably thinner than the Fender Modern C?

It feels a little bit thinner... Not "a lot a bit" but definitely a little bit.

It prompted me to try the 59' Roundback profile, which felt a little big at first but now I've gotten really comfy with it.

What is the logic behind making the Standard Thin thinner than the Fender Modern C? I guess more people like necks thinner than the Fender Modern C.

Too bad that I cannot personally test the Standard Thin neck before ordering one. The perfect option for me would be to buy a MIA Fender Strat neck and have it refretted with SS frets, but that would cost me at least $1,000  :sad:

I can't speak directly to your questions above, but can confirm that the recent Squier Classic Vibe 60's neck is 0.800" thick at the first fret. And darn narrow. I *think* this has been a common Fender measurement over the years.

My Seagull S6 is also 0.800" thick, but it's wide like an acoustic, and works in that configuration.

I think that the Warmoth Thin profile is very close to the old MIM Fender neck profile (.800" at the 1st fret). Anyways, the difference of .020" might feel significant given that the human hand and fingers can easily tell the difference of .001" (e.g., the difference between a .010 E string and a 0.009 E string).

I personally think the standard thin is *too* thin.  But then again:

1 - I have no idea what a stock fender neck feels like
2 - I spend a decade with a Richenbacker 620 as my main guitar
3 - I broke my left thumb years ago and as a result I can't deal with thin necks.

But - other people think it's just fine.  :dontknow: :)

The answer it comes always to neck profiles and such as:

Is "Standard Thin" too thin?
Is 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" the best nut width or do I go for 1.65"?

It has to be down to your individual preference and decision.

Do you notice that the Warmoth Thin neck is noticeably thinner than the Fender Modern C?

The answer to that is which Modern C. Which year, which model etc as over the years they have varied.

Really the only way to know is to try one and see. At one point I bought a 59 profile for a tele for that reason. Great shape but in the end not quite for me. It now belongs to another forum member.

The Warmoth Standard thin is not much smaller than a Fender standard C. 
- Yes, the Depth is less by 0.02" which is noticeable.
- However the profile has slightly more shoulder on it, so IMO it is more like an "oval" or "semi-D" shape, than a pure C shape.

You will notice it feels different to a Fender neck, but its impossible to say long it will take to get used to it.  Personally I think its great as it suits my hand size.

EDIT:  I want to add that there are more similarities than differences.    I don't believe people will find that one is suitable and the other causes an issue.  For people who prefer chuncky necks, they are likely to find both of these have basically the same issue for them.  For people who already like Modern-C, or the Warmoth Standard slim, IMO it shouldn't be a deal breaker to change from one to the other. 

It's too thin for my taste, but that hasn't stopped me enjoying the guitar it's on. Now that I've tried the SRV profile I'll probably never order another Standard Thin, but I also don't feel any real need to replace the one I have.

I've Googled a lot, and the consensus seems to be that the Standard Thin profile feels kinda like the D shape as Johnny wrote. I once had a great sounding Epi ES-339 but eventually sold it because I disliked the feel of its D-shape neck. So, I won't go with the Std Thin. I guess I'll like the Clapton V because I'm a thumb-over-the-neck player and because the EC V isn't too thin or too thick.

stratamania said:
Really the only way to know is to try one and see. At one point I bought a 59 profile for a tele for that reason. Great shape but in the end not quite for me. It now belongs to another forum member.

Incidentally, that member is me - it's my first '59, I love the shape, and Stratamania's fretwork is impeccable!  :icon_thumright:

As a previous poster mentioned, the standard thin has more shoulder to it, so it's more of a D shape IMO. I've found over the years that it's actually more the shape of the neck than the front to back caliper measurements that make a difference, but I suppose it depends on the individual and their style.

Zebra said:
stratamania said:

Incidentally, that member is me - it's my first '59, I love the shape, and Stratamania's fretwork is impeccable!  :icon_thumright:

Hi Zebra, good to know you are still digging the neck and thanks for the feedback on the fretwork.  :eek:ccasion14:

Standard Thin is perfect. I would not want it one bit thicker. Feels like the C that it is.
The Wizard is too thin.

Really depends on personal preference.
Too me the Standard thin is just a bit too thin to be comfortable. The 59 profile feels perfect to me and I wouldn't want it any thicker or thinner.

But again, it's totally personal. If you like the standard Fender .820" (which will also have some variance + or -) chances are you'll like Warmoth's standard thin or will get used to it easily.

Chrisk-K said:
What is the logic behind making the Standard Thin thinner than the Fender Modern C? I guess more people like necks thinner than the Fender Modern C.

Too bad that I cannot personally test the Standard Thin neck before ordering one. The perfect option for me would be to buy a MIA Fender Strat neck and have it refretted with SS frets, but that would cost me at least $1,000  :sad:

What makes u so sure fender's modern C predates the Big W's standard thin?

The standard thin is great for me. we go together like pasta and a mouth.

I have a mid 90's MIM Strat and that guitar feels thinner due to a thinner nut spacing.  They are very very close in thickness though.

I have 1 Wolfgang and 2 Standard Thin necks from Warmoth.  I like the Wolfgang, but for a couple of things I play, that additional chunkiness makes certain fingerings a touch more challenging.  I have size L-XL hands with medium length fingers.  While I think the chunkier necks add some resonance and beefs up the tone a smidge, the Standard Thin is better for my hands.

I have Standard Thin, Clapton, and Boatneck. To me the Clapton (at .85 I think) just feels like a Standard Thin with a V shape. I don't particularly notice the little extra thickness. I experimented with going thicker than Standard Thin and like that but in reality have actually embraced the Standard Thin in sort of a second-time-around experience. I have a guitar with a Standard Thin maple neck with Wenge fretboard and that neck just feels so fast and smooth to me, I love it. As one poster said, if you can get hands on with a current Squire in a shop I agree that is pretty close to the Warmoth. Some people notice slight variations readliy but for me I have to go from my Standard Thin to my Boatneck to really go, "Oh, that's different." My contemporary strat from Squire feels close to my Standard Thin with regard to the neck.

As usual, I'm a dissenter in the crowd. The Wizard is perfect fit for my hand since I like to stay way up on my fingertips. If I had to give that up though, the Standard Thin is also a very nice shape and size.

The size of your hands pretty much dictates the ideal neck size and shape.
Unless your hands are bigger than average, the Standard Thin is not too thin.

Back