Irons in the Warmoth Fire

DocNrock

Master Member
I've shared with you the Warmoth projects I've done so far and now have a few more irons in the fire (it MUST be an addiction).

Here is one:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6195.0

I've also been wanting to build a VIP for a while now.  There was one in the showcase for the longest time that was Mahogany with a black dyed quilt Maple top.  The day I went to buy it, it was gone.  D'oh!  So I decided against the traditional flame or quilt Maple.  Recently, Warmoth got in some Camphor Burl lamtops, which I personally think are uniquely killer.

Soooo, I'm actually making two Camphor Burl VIPs (I couldn't make up my mind between two of the lamtops and two different necks - below). Both bodies are Black Korina, will have black binding, and will be clear coated, front and back.  They both will also have battery box routes.

Here are the necks for the two Camphor Burl VIPs:

Zebrawood with Bloodwood stringers, Ebony fretboard, and MOP dots:

zebrafront.jpg

zebraback.jpg

Imbuia (brazillian walnut) with Brazillian Rosewood fretboard and MOP dots:

imbuneckfront.jpg

imbuneckback.jpg

Orders entered, 8-12 weeks.

Finally, I've always wanted to do an over-the-top V2.

It will have a 5A quilt laminate top finished in bengal burst.  The body will be Mahogany and the back finished with trans red. The neck will be made from Padouk with a reversed Jackson headstock and a Canary fingerboard.

Canary fingerboard:

canary.jpg

The headstock will also have a quilt Maple veneer and will be finished in bengal burst matching the body. Black sharkfin inlays to go with black hardware.  Padouk and Canary can be left unfinished, but apparently Padouk oxidizes to a brownish color with age.  I want to keep the reddish hue, so to prevent oxidation the neck will get a satin finish.

Single humbucker. Single volume control. OFR.

Hopefully after these are done, my GAS will be deflated for a good long while.

I'm not so sure about that imbuia neck, Doc. The colors of the back just don't match up  :dontknow:

I'm still looking forward to the VIPs.

You say over the top? Why not gold sparkle? :p I'm more of a fan of tiger's eye than bengal burst, but I guess bengal is more over the top.

"Hopefully after these are done, my GAS will be deflated for a good long while."

Yeah, we've heard that line before and remain unconvinced in your case as well...

Max said:
I'm not so sure about that imbuia neck, Doc. The colors of the back just don't match up  :dontknow:

Are you speaking the colors of the neck shaft vs. the headstock or the likely match between the imbuia and the black korina?

jackthehack said:
"Hopefully after these are done, my GAS will be deflated for a good long while."

Yeah, we've heard that line before and remain unconvinced in your case as well...

Jack, I'm so glad you are a member of this board.  Not only do you have a witty dry/sarcastic sense of humor and inspire us with your great builds, but you also provide me rationalization.  :icon_thumright:

I was very close to adding "I never want to use the words shaft and head in the same sentence again"

DocNrock said:
dbw said:
Max said:
Neck shaft/headstock.

That's what she said.
:laughing7:

I actually like that two-tone appearance.  Not for everyone, I guess.
I think it's quite appealing too, there's a lot of necks that end up this way. I think it gives them a bit of flare. That certain Je ne sais ce qui...

Sounds like some bad ass builds Doc, I like those necks... :icon_thumright: And that canary is pretty close to the canary I've got...

Heh, stay in school Connor!  You need a doctor's salary to build as many as Doc does.

dbw said:
Heh, stay in school Connor!  You need a doctor's salary to build as many as Doc does.

He's right.  Keep in mind that after high school I was in school for 13 more years (BA, MS, MD), plus 5 years of residency in General Surgery before I got my "real" job 8 years ago.  Those years in school meant a lot of mac&cheese, top ramen, and various other cheap student foods.  Once I finally did get a real job, it took me 6 years to pay off my student loans.  So now, I can finally start "living," even though I do work 60 to 80 hours a week.

DangerousR6 said:
Sounds like some bad ass builds Doc, I like those necks... :icon_thumright:
Big +1.  Looks like some sweet builds! 

I'm still in the debate process on new builds, but you've given me even MORE food for thought.  Some cool wood combos there.....hmm....:evil4:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Sigh. It will Be AGES before I even get the chance to do two builds at a time and here you are goin' all out and making 4  :eek:
:sad:

Unfortunately or you get rich with a band or you'll get money to buy 4 in a beat with work, but few time to play it...

There is also another way: Marrying with a millionarie girl :icon_jokercolor:  :laughing7:
If anybody knows one, tell me to apply for  :toothy12:

Back