Iran

DocNrock

Master Member
I'm sorry, I hope this doesn't turn into a political thread.  I don't want this to become a discusssion of our foreign policy towards Iran.  But man, look at what is happening over there!  This could be the next revolution, or another Tianemen square.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/13/iran-demonstrations-viole_n_215189.html

And I Raaaaaannnnn...

I ran so far awaaaaaayyyy.

I just raaaannnn
I ran for night and daaaayyy..

I couldn't get away.

Xplorervoodoo said:

And I Raaaaaannnnn...

I ran so far awaaaaaayyyy.

I just raaaannnn
I ran for night and daaaayyy..

I couldn't get away.
[youtube=425,350]lqcULdDQmR0[/youtube]

On the other forum I frequent there is an Iranian living in Tehran giving us behind the scenes updates.

Worth a read. His handle is TheImmortalThief

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127280

it's insane that things like that are happening somewhere right this second... it's scary.

no matter how the rest of the world views us (and no matter how right they may be in many cases) i'm very happy to be an american when i see things like that. where i got to vote for the first black president. my grandfather voted against me, and all that got out of him was a "well i guess we cancel out." somewhere else that could have been a full blown riot, even between family.

JaySwear said:
it's insane that things like that are happening somewhere right this second... it's scary.

no matter how the rest of the world views us (and no matter how right they may be in many cases) i'm very happy to be an american when i see things like that. where i got to vote for the first black president. my grandfather voted against me, and all that got out of him was a "well i guess we cancel out." somewhere else that could have been a full blown riot, even between family.

The first half black President?  I only say that, not to diminish this great milestone in our nation's History, because one day we will have a black President and he (or she) will be known as the first black President.  This is our first black First Lady.

fair enough, but when we get our first all black president nobody will take notice at that, i don't think. it'll just be our "second black president" lol

but i guess nobody can argue about the first black first lady

Funnily enough, Australia has a better relationship with Iran than the UK and USA do. In sport we have had some very tough Football (soccer) matches against Iran - and also Iraq. The sporting connection does ease the tension between the two countries a little bit.

But the footage taken by phone cameras is a concern, they (Iranian government) are obviously trying to crackdown on any protest about the election results or anyone supporting the opposition. Heard they are basically telling foreign media to not do any reporting.

If there's an outpouring of people power like what was witnessed in China 20 or so years ago, and more recently in the Ukraine, it will be interesting to see how the Government manages all the people taking to the streets.

Could go either way if that happens (bloodshed or ousting of government/President).

OzziePete said:
Funnily enough, Australia has a better relationship with Iran than the UK and USA do. In sport we have had some very tough Football (soccer) matches against Iran - and also Iraq. The sporting connection does ease the tension between the two countries a little bit.

But the footage taken by phone cameras is a concern, they (Iranian government) are obviously trying to crackdown on any protest about the election results or anyone supporting the opposition. Heard they are basically telling foreign media to not do any reporting.

If there's an outpouring of people power like what was witnessed in China 20 or so years ago, and more recently in the Ukraine, it will be interesting to see how the Government manages all the people taking to the streets.

Could go either way if that happens (bloodshed or ousting of government/President).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUE0r3fsWdg

JaySwear said:
fair enough, but when we get our first all black president nobody will take notice at that, i don't think. it'll just be our "second black president" lol

but i guess nobody can argue about the first black first lady

This is a kind of gray area topic.  To call Obama black completely disregards 1/2 of his heritage because his mother is white.  First mixed race President doesn't have a ring to it and isn't as much of a groundbreaking first that milestone's require.  If you just go by skin color, then yes, he's black.  Lenny Kravitz, Alicia Keys, and Halle Berry have black and white parents and are called black.  But in Halle's case, when she made a fuss over "the door being opened" with her Oscar win a few years ago, people were quick to point out that she was not the first, and only 1/2 black.  In the history books, if and when there is another black President, you can count on an asterisk by his/her or Obama's name.

Race and skin color were never an issue with me, and I was proud that Obama was elected because it showed the world and ourselves that this country was bigger than it's less than perfect past.  However, I live in the South, and for as far as I think we've come, I've heard way to many narrow-minded things said about him that go way beyond jokes.  Certain words that I thought were on the way out are still very alive and well.  We still have a long way to go.   

I've known people from a WIDE variety of political, economic, racial (& racist) backgrounds. I've heard one person in all seriousness tell me that the "reason" Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix and Prince were so great was "their white half".... and they didn't even like Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix and Prince! I'm sure the same is being said about Barack Obama. There are black people who don't trust Obama's other half. On the brighter side, all the old people are going to die, sooner or later. Usually, before most of the younger people.

Technically speaking, we (YOU) share 99% of our (YOUR) genetic information with a chimpanzee, and even 97% with a mouse, pig or wombat.

"Gettin' in touch with my inner Wombat, whoa whoa whoa" :cool01:

Yeah, yeah.  A watermelon is 98% water, so it missed being a cloud by 2%.  The (human) adult male is 60% water, so only 40% of me has to swim.  Can a person be 100% body fat?  Why not?  They can be 8%.  Whether evolution or creation is your thing, both believe that many came from one.  In that sense, we're all related regardless of idealogy.  I wasn't referring to our % of similarity with other species, but rather 1 species where we are 100% compatible and our most recent lineage, our parents and our preference for labeling.

Anywho, back to Iran.  What's up with those turbans?

I think buckallred is 100% body fat, actually, so that solves that debate. (no, don't show it again!)

tfarny said:
I think buckallred is 100% body fat, actually, so that solves that debate. (no, don't show it again!)
Dude, that pic was disturbing and offensive (typical)... wish he would keep his "lifestyle"
to himself, if ya know what I mean.

Jabbarotj.jpg

Saturday possibly will be the be-all tell-all.  The Ayatollah has announced his willingness to "crack down."  The protesters are already saying they might die.  Wow.  History in the making.

Back