iPhones are the coolest things since Diet Coke!

Jumble Jumble said:
I think you'll find that this one was anything but fruitless. It involved, at the very least, Apple.
which are bad for you because they contain sugar apparently.....  :tard:

Jumble Jumble said:
Yep, that's what I said. No straw men here!
yeah but it doesn't matter if it has sugar of the glycemic index isn't high. juice is often high, unless it's something like grapefruit juice. but if we are eating it not drinking it it's usually in the medium range and the total calories aren't very high either.

Dan0 said:
Jumble Jumble said:
I think you'll find that this one was anything but fruitless. It involved, at the very least, Apple.
I like my apples with high fructose corn syrup.. :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:

And cinnamon! Maybe some raisins. And brown sugar. Little butter. In a flakey crust...

1b181d45-d69f-4c65-8fd3-2653d8a43c4a.jpg

What could possibly be wrong with that? Maybe some French vanilla ice cream on the side. Drizzled with caramel...

'Scuse me, I gotta go do something...

I think it's pretty well documented that OJ has some rather out-there recreational tastes.

I am getting the wife to make an apple pie ASAP after that post cagey.

Of course it's not the same if you don't have some homemade fudge with your after-dinner drinks. It just so happens I bought some at the weekend from out local fair...

Jumble Jumble said:
I am getting the wife to make an apple pie ASAP after that post cagey.

I tried... and now my wife is having me make some pie after that post Cagey!  :doh: 

Ummmm....Doug; who said anything about FLIP PHONES?!? I said 'F-U-Phone', an' that's flippin' somethin' else entirely!  :laughing7:

DangerousR6 said:
Dan0 said:
Jumble Jumble said:

fructose is just a kind of sugar. the only think bad about corn syrup is that it's cheaper than real sugar (thanks to your tax dollars) and finds it's way into all kinds of things that would normally have sugar but would be more expensive. why not buy products with corn syrup? you already payed for the stuff with tax money so ya might as well consume it and get your moneys worth and what better way than to bake it into a delicious pie. unless you are trying to boycott corn subsidies or something. then you may as well just stop paying taxes..

I thought corn syrup sounded delicious - we don't have much of it in the UK as we don't have the corn subsidies. When I finally had some in the US, I was massively disappointed to discover that it's not as nice as sugar. I thought the USA would have the nicest Coca-Cola, but it's not as nice there as it is at home in rainy London!

Also, it's in bread and stuff. What's with that.

I can't really imagine what would go into an apple pie that would have HFCS in it - maybe if you just bought the syrup pure, and added it instead of sugar?

Jumble Jumble said:
I thought corn syrup sounded delicious - we don't have much of it in the UK as we don't have the corn subsidies. When I finally had some in the US, I was massively disappointed to discover that it's not as nice as sugar. I thought the USA would have the nicest Coca-Cola, but it's not as nice there as it is at home in rainy London!

Also, it's in bread and stuff. What's with that.

I can't really imagine what would go into an apple pie that would have HFCS in it - maybe if you just bought the syrup pure, and added it instead of sugar?
store bought pies will have it. and yeah real sugar is tastier. or maybe it's placebo, i just like to believe real sugar is tastier. anyway i love sweets but like you said moderation is the key, but if you believe that it kinda defeats the purpose of a calorie free (and not as tasty) sugar alternative.

Jumble Jumble said:
Also, [HFCS is] in bread and stuff. What's with that.

HFCS is used in place of refined cane sugar because it seems to cost a lot less. I say "seems" because there are a lot of government dollars in there that are coming from the general population, so while the HFCS has a lower direct price, you're actually paying a higher price via taxation. It's a goofy system, but Big Agriculture donates a lotta money to political campaigns, so there's little chance all those ridiculous subsidies will go away.

There's really not any difference in flavor, but sometimes there's a textural difference. It would go in commercial breads, cakes, etc. because you need at least a little to feed the yeast so the dough/batter will rise. In soft drinks, desserts, etc., it's just a sweetener. Health-wise, the body doesn't know the difference between refined cane sugar and HFCS, but since the HFCS costs less it gets used more often so we end up eating more sugar than we should. Regular folk rarely use HFCS for anything. You can buy it, but few do. No real reason to. Plus, many recipes would have to modified to use it vs. refined cane sugar due to different measuring.

Back