Free from the shackles of Apple!

Meh. I've owned a few Android products, and I just can't get used to them. They're slow, they lose battery very quickly, and they just have so many minor problems that bug me constantly... I stuck to my iPod 4, which won't update to any of the more recent Ios's, and I'm totally okay with that. It's reliable, durable, worked for two years with a broken screen before I got it repaired, does what it needs to, and has pretty much anything and everything that I need out of a device.

I don't know... my Android is pretty damn quick, and has an 11 day standby time (which works out to be about 7 days in real life. They all lie about battery life). Since I don't use it much, I only recharge it once a week.

The state of the art with these smartphones is moving pretty fast. If you haven't played with anything recent, you may be surprised. The operating systems are getting better at power management, and the hardware is requiring less power to begin with.

The desperation to manufacture the desire for a product that's designed entirely to get you on a fixed plan stealing your money no matter how useless it is.... I mean, why the FRICK would you ever want to ASK YOUR TALKING CLOWN WATCH how much an elephant weighs? Have you seen that one? Is that something you ever wished you could do? I don't know what anyone else's life is like, but it's been like extremely rare that I ever wanted to have anything at all like the ability to ask a talking watch much of anything. And I don't care how kicky and young and attractive and carefree you are, how many elephants do you normally you run into? And even if you're an extremely creative person and you're absolutely determined to get your $89 $160 worth of crap out of it every single month, I sense a wall.... "How much does that car weigh?" "How many watts is that lightbulb?" How big around is the sun? Why is the sky blue, mommy... Great Scott. "But Who was Scott?" Bob was who's uncle?
This is like how people in insane asylums act.

only they just don't need the phone - they get it beamed in for free

Cagey said:
I only recharge it once a week.

That's quite a luxury. I was recharging my iPhone up to three times a day, and my new Android lasts almost two days on a charge, so far.

I use my phone as my alarm clock, so every night it just goes under my pillow, plugged in to charge. I have to use it extremely heavily for it to ever need charging nor than that. But having "plug my phone in" as part of my nighttime routine is something I'd have to really WANT to find inconvenient really. I mean, there's other stuff I do every night, like get undressed, brush my teeth etc. I don't complain about that stuff.

This thing about locking into contracts: I haven't had a contract for years. I buy my phones outright, same as I do with my laptops and any other computers I buy. After all if I were to describe my day-to-day usage of it, it's obviously a computer rather than a phone. Sure, it sometimes gets used to make a call. But really, it's a personal organiser. I use it for my diary, address book, and for lots of text-based communication. Much more like an online laptop, just pocket-sized. I pay for my data on a month-by-month basis, so can switch providers whenever I want. I pay the equivalent of about $16 a month for unlimited data and texts, and 200 minutes, which is more than I ever use.

What I don't get is the argument that goes "it's a PHONE. As long as it makes calls, it doesn't need to do anything else". The thing about that argument, is that if it was called the iPocketComputer instead, that argument just wouldn't exist. And that's all it is: an internet-connected pocket computer that happens to have a telephony app. To put it another way, the definition of the word "phone" is changing, as tends to happen to words  that refer to technology. It makes calls, therefore it is a phone. A phone has really always meant "something that makes calls" anyway, not "something that makes calls and doesn't do anything else".

Jumble Jumble said:
I use my phone as my alarm clock, so every night it just goes under my pillow, plugged in to charge. I have to use it extremely heavily for it to ever need charging nor than that. But having "plug my phone in" as part of my nighttime routine is something I'd have to really WANT to find inconvenient really. I mean, there's other stuff I do every night, like get undressed, brush my teeth etc. I don't complain about that stuff.

It's bad for the battery to leave it charging after it has reached a full charge.

Unfortunately, with my iPhone, I was forced to leave it charging longer than it needed, because if I didn't keep it charging all night, it would be dead in the morning, and my alarm wouldn't go off. I suppose the best thing would have been to put the charger on a timer so that it would charge a few hours before I got up, but I never wanted to risk any chance of not having my alarm go off.

line6man said:
It's bad for the battery to leave it charging after it has reached a full charge.
Yeah, about that... http://mashable.com/2014/06/18/phone-charging-myths/

A lotta battery myths are left over from the days of NiCads. Hardly anyone uses them anymore.

Back