iPhones are the coolest things since Diet Coke!

i know fruit is full of sugar but that's why i didin't suggest fruit juice!!! i mean have you ever sqeezed you own orange juice??? ever eat that many oranges in a single sitting? i didn't think so. you'll never raise your blood sugar significantly eating a few pieces of fruit a day. and the moderation argument is stupid. if it was about moderation then why would you ever need to put diet soda into your system at all. you could just drink soda if you used moderation. it's not deadly but there is no reason to ever drink it. and it does have side effects on many people including myself. many people do have vision problems when they drink it. and how much should people drink? i've seen people sit down with an ope 2 liter bottle of diet cola and drink dtrait from the bottle. i don't see anyone do that with apple juice.

and about the fingerprint thing??? motorola already has fingerprint readers on some models. lets see how long it takes for apple to test google and google pulls out the motorola patent book that they own... why do apple owners like to brag about things that already exist in the market??? i'll never get that.

boys, boys... I'm sorry I used that Diet Coke comparison. This thread should be about phones. And again, I know that the Galaxies and all have features the iPhones don't have. But I'm a confirmed Apple user of some of their other products, so using the iPhone is just easier for me. I Smartphone should be easy to use - right?

But thanks to all for all the info on phones in general.

I wasn't bragging about the fingerprint man, it was meant to be a sarcastic comment about how the new iphone doesn't really have any interesting new features.

I definitely can't be bothered to argue about diet coke. I will just say that "there's no need to ever drink it" is a weird argument, there's no "need" to ever drink beer either. Or play a guitar.

I dunno about the beer, but there have been times when literally nothing could get me out of the deep blue funk I was in but showing up at my local dive bar and blastin' it out for three tunes at the open jam.

In short, I dissent.

many people do have vision problems when they drink it.
I think I ought to reply to this. Many people think their vision problems are caused by aspartame. But in tests it has been shown not to affect vision. If you want to continue to believe it then do so, but be aware that there is no evidence to support that belief. And the number of studies that have been done, there really would be by now.

If your answer is going to be an anecdote about how you or someone you know gets vision problems after ingesting aspartame, well, fine, post it if you must, but anecdotes are not evidence.

Posted from my new iPhone. It seems… fine.

Jumble Jumble said:
Posted from my new iPhone. It seems… fine.

Sure. Now. But, in 3 months, count how many toes you have on your left foot. Then let's hear how well you like that iPhone.

mrpinter said:
boys, boys... I'm sorry I used that Diet Coke comparison. This thread should be about phones. And again, I know that the Galaxies and all have features the iPhones don't have. But I'm a confirmed Apple user of some of their other products, so using the iPhone is just easier for me. I Smartphone should be easy to use - right?

But thanks to all for all the info on phones in general.
Fret not...Someone's always  going to bag on something...Doesn't matter if it's iphone, ipad, ipod, apple, Steve Jobs...Diet Coke... :icon_biggrin:

Personally, I think one's ''vision'' is in greater jeopardy from looking more at one's iPhone than at the world around you, with the attendant dependency that so often ensues...which is why I have always gotten by just fine with my old-fashioned fuPhone... :icon_biggrin: Can I find out RIGHT NOW what tomorrow's weather will be in Micronesia? Nope, but somehow I'm OK with that, y'know? 

Great Ape said:
Personally, I think one's ''vision'' is in greater jeopardy from looking more at one's iPhone than at the world around you, with the attendant dependency that so often ensues...which is why I have always gotten by just fine with my old-fashioned fuPhone... :icon_biggrin: Can I find out RIGHT NOW what tomorrow's weather will be in Micronesia? Nope, but somehow I'm OK with that, y'know?

mr. printer take note to my previous post...

Greg, I've always agreed with you on so many levels...BUT A FLIP PHONE...
th

only thing worse than an iphone is a flip phone...

Well, now, waitaminnit... I'm still using my Motorola Raz'r from about 7 or 8 years ago. It's on its 3rd battery and due for a 4th, but it works like a champ. I mean, it makes phone calls. Does other stuff, too, although I'd have to open it up and play for a while to tell you exactly what other stuff. I just need a phone on the road once in a great while, not a handheld supercomputer that would make Google jealous...

supercom73787766.jpg

This is where I store my recipes!

Cagey said:
Well, now, waitaminnit... I'm still using my Motorola Raz'r from about 7 or 8 years ago. It's on its 3rd battery and due for a 4th, but it works like a champ. I mean, it makes phone calls. Does other stuff, too, although I'd have to open it up and play for a while to tell you exactly what other stuff. I just need a phone on the road once in a great while, not a handheld supercomputer that would make Google jealous...

supercom73787766.jpg

This is where I store my recipes!
Didn't those go extinct something like 65 million yrs. ago when the great meteor hit the Yucatan... :laughing11:

There's no such thing as the Yucatan. You're thinking of Yucca Mountain. And it wasn't 65 million years ago, it was 18 months. A soccer mom lost control of her SUV because she was texting on her phone and crashed into the mountain. Now they're saying the Naked African Mole Rats who once called that mountain home are extinct. It's bullshit, of course. There were never any Naked African Mole Rats in that mountain. But, you know. Tree-huggers. Always making stuff up.

Cagey said:
There's no such thing as the Yucatan. You're thinking of Yucca Mountain. And it wasn't 65 million years ago, it was 18 months. A soccer mom lost control of her SUV because she was texting on her phone and crashed into the mountain. Now they're saying the Naked African Mole Rats who once called that mountain home are extinct. It's bullshit, of course. There were never any Naked African Mole Rats in that mountain. But, you know. Tree-huggers. Always making stuff up.
Damn treehuggers...I suppose next you going to tell me they were wrong about the Mayans to... ???

DangerousR6 said:
Damn treehuggers...I suppose next you going to tell me they were wrong about the Mayans to... ???

Well, sorta. The story about the calendar and the end of the world and all that malarky did come from the Mayans, but it was just a sadistic campfire story they told after a heavy day of booze-fueled picnicking, baseball, and sacrificing virgins to whatever volcano happened to be nearby and belching CO2. No truth to it. It was designed just for fun to frighten the kids and the less-well-educated chicks who'd believe anything.

The real big story there that's often overlooked is that they invented Mayannaise to enhance the foods at these events. Grease the bread. Bind the pasta. Enhance the ostrich egg salad. That sort of thing.

Cagey said:
in 3 months, count how many toes you have on your left foot. Then let's hear how well you like that iPhone.

As long as it's still under 7 I'll be happy.

Great Ape said:

This is a great argument that comes up a lot when smartphones are discussed. Far as I can tell, it works like this:

- Apart from making calls, the other thing smartphones can do is [pointless task] (in this case "tomorrow's weather will be in Micronesia").

- This pointless thing somehow is enough for people to be buried in their phones all the time.

- If I had a smartphone, I, too, would be constantly checking tomorrow's weather in Micronesia.

Therefore, I do not have a smartphone.

Bit of a weird argument really.

I think Cagey has the best argument, because he puts it quite simply as he doesn't need a pocket computer. This neatly sidesteps the rather silly argument people make when they say "I don't need my phone to do X", which is fine, but totally ignores the fact that a smartphone is a pocket computer that happens to be able to make calls. That argument falls down when you consider the case of an iPod touch, which is an iPhone without the ability to make calls.

Nobody "needs" a pocket computer really, otherwise we'd have become extinct a hundred thousands years ago because we didn't have them yet.

I would like to perhaps talk a little bit about why I like having a pocket computer. Most of these things, however, have been true since I got my iPhone 3GS in 2009, and don't justify the fact that I've upgraded to the latest version every year since then.

I am a geek. Let's face it, that's the overriding reason I have an iPhone. I like computers, it's a computer, it's a gadget, it's not hard to see the attraction.

Aside from that, let's look at some of the things I use my phone (or PDA if you like) for. In no particular order:

Calendar. I am too old and too busy to use my brain as my calendar any more. It worked when I was single and didn't really do much, but now I have to write things down or I forget I'm meant to be doing them. Like many things, a paper equivalent would work here. But I already take my phone everywhere I go, so it's more convenient to combine the two. The point where it becomes better than a paper equivalent is that my wife and I share our calendars with each other. It means that when I check a day to see if I'm busy, I can see what my wife's got planned that day too. We never double-book ourselves any more because of this and I don't know quite how we'd organise our time without it. The ironic truth is that it would probably involve a lot of phonecalls.

Contacts. My address book used to be a thing I constantly exported and imported from one device or email program to another. Now it lives in the cloud and is always up to date on all my devices.

Reading. The Kindle app means that whenever I have my phone with me, I have a book with me. The amount of extra reading I get done since I got an iPhone is huge. It's not great for anything that needs diagrams or tables, but if you're just reading prose, it's perfectly serviceable. I do have an actual Kindle as well, which is nicer. Whichever device I read on updates my current page to my amazon account, so when I switch over to the other device it automatically opens on the right page. Simple but very useful.

Note-taking. I have several note-taking apps, for taking notes in various formats. Lists, plain text, mind maps, doodles etc. It's not quite as easy as a pen and paper, but if I make a note, I have it with me from then on until I decide to delete it. Another case of it just being useful because I always have it with me.

Calculator. Obviously. I also have a unit conversion tool on there, and the Wolfram Alpha app which, although it has lots of everyday functionality, I mainly use for maths stuff like solving simultaneous equations.

Music. I've always had a personal music player since I was about 11, so really this is just a case of combining it into one device. The nice thing about it being on my iPhone is I have a Spotify subscription, meaning that I can pretty much listen to any track, at any time. To imply that I couldn't survive without this would be silly but hey, what can I say - sometimes I like to live my life above the level of basic survival. For example, I'm wearing shoes right now!

Flashlight. You'd be surprised how often this gets used.

Travel info. I live in London and I never drive anywhere. Having a device in my pocket that knows where I am, knows where I live, and knows the complete public transport infrastructure of the city is a godsend. Along with this is maps - it's now impossible to get lost (unless I want to). My phone can show me where I am, where I'm going, and if I want, show me a route to follow. When I'm walking in London I prefer to just find out which general direction my destination is in, and choose my own routes according to what looks interesting as I'm walking. When I get nearby I look at the map again for the last quarter mile.

Camera. I don't use it that much, but it's nice to always have one on you. It records video in HD these days as well. It's nice to be able to look at photos and be part of a "shared photo stream" after an event - everyone adds all their photos to the same place, and they all just appear on my phone. I can then do what I want with them, put them on my computer, get them printed etc. But getting everyone's photos together after our wedding was a nightmare project that we eventually had to abandon, and this would have made it simple.

Music discovery. I have several apps that recommend me new music based on my tastes. I have found some great stuff through these, both new and old. Along with that I have Shazam, so if I'm in a pub and I hear a song that sounds good, I can find out what it is there and then. I have found some great stuff with that too.

Guitar stuff. I have a guitar tuner that works off the internal microphone and is good enough for most uses. I have guitar toolkit which also gives me a metronome, chord dictionary, that kind of thing.

Alarm clock/reminders. My phone is what wakes me up every day. And if I need to remember to do something at a certain time (or even when I'm next in a certain place), I can get my phone to help with that too.

Email. I don't get much email, but when I do, my phone buzzes in the same way as if I got a text message. Most of my email requires no action from me. The mail app I use lets me quickly swipe a message to the side to archive it, so mostly I deal with my email in a series of 10-second events throughout the day, rather than setting aside any time in the evening to "check my mail" and deal with it all then. I can also move an email out of my inbox but set it to come back at a specific date and time, which I use for things like ticket booking references, or just if there's an email I can't deal with until a certain time.

Voice recording. Doesn't get used a great deal, but when I interviewed Ace Bergman last year I just put my phone on the table and it recorded the entire conversation incredibly clearly. It's also OK for recording a riff idea quickly or whatever.

Messaging. Texts, basically. This gets used a fair bit, it's like mini-email and it's mobile. It's a nice way to keep in touch with friends on an ad-hoc basis. And my wife sends me pictures of our son throughout the work day, which brings me a smile every time.

Tracking. My wife and I have this enabled on our phones so we can each see where the other is (or more accurately, where their phone is) at any time. This has been great for me and cut down massively on having to answer the phone just to say "yeah, I'm on the train, be home in 20 minutes", stuff like that. If you think this is creepy then fine, but I really am fine with my wife knowing where I am.

----

Now, to every single one of these, you could say "you don't need that", and of course you'd be right. In fact, I don't need a phone at all, as evidenced by the fact that I survived to the age of 20 without having one. But also of course, not everything we do or have is something we need to do or have. Sometimes we just buy ourselves a bit of convenience or pleasure.

Equally, I don't think many of those can be described as pointless. Sure, I have Twitter and Facebook on there, and occasionally I install a game (turns out I just don't really like phone games though). And there's "life admin" stuff, like I have an app that lets me submit our gas and electricity meter readings. Some of those might fall under the "pointless" thing, they're just time-killers. That's OK though. Overall my life gets more difficult when I don't have my phone. I like my life to be easy.

The end result really is all the same, it's just a matter of preference, apple-pc, chevy-ford, coke-pepsi... :dontknow:

Back