Installing tuner bushings

dm251z

I'll be doing my first installation soon (kluson-type bushings into wenge neck).  Any tips?  I saw some folks recommend freezing them first, and I've seen some references to doing something to prevent them from 'flattening', but not sure what.  Thanks very much!

Smack them in with a hammer; put a folded washcloth over when getting close to all the way seated and have a folded towel behind the headstock

jackthehack said:
Smack them in with a hammer; put a folded washcloth over when getting close to all the way seated and have a folded towel behind the headstock
Uhhhh...... don't do this.... no smacking with a hammer unless your building a house!

jackthehack said:
You don't smack the wood, just the bushing, live dangerously, works for me...
Yeah, but you don't take the call when he phones in because there's a crack connecting all of his tuner holes for some reason!  :laughing7:

I have to admit that I do things bit "gung-ho" too. I think it's a patience thing; I don't have much of it.

Here's what I do:
Step one. Test fit.  See if they're too tight to press in with your fingers.  Sometimes I use a wooden dowel to keep pressure even.
Step two. Lightly sand the tuner ream to enlarge it.  Repeat step one.

Like Gregg, I've taken those calls from guys that used a hammer to install the bushings and are angry the headstock just split along the tuner reams.

-Eric.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice and experience.  I get the idea.  :eek:ccasion14:

I use a reamer like this to open the hole and then put some soap on and push them in.

IMG_0137-1.jpg

guitlouie said:
Read what -CB- has to say about a screw vice in this thread.  I tried his little trick and it worked like a charm, and I even saved the pieces for my next one!

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1065.0

Hmmm, interesting....

Do you happen to have photos of the contraption?
I read CB's description but it's not making sense to me...

I have Callaham tuners....pretty much Kluson's....and was wondering how I will get them in the peg holes as they are a pretty tight fit.

Thanks CB.,....makes sense now!!!

I'll give that a try

If this board didn't exist....I have no idea what I would do!? ;)

Except I was coffee deprived when I wrote the text... that should be 1/4-28 not 1/2 -28 sheesh..

Oh... I'll just go edit it.

I haven't started actually building yet (still waiting for the neck delivery from Warmoth), but but the help from this board has already prevented at least 2 major cracks in the neck and body.  I can't thank you guys enough. :eek:ccasion14:

This cheap little tool does wonders.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100132391

Back