Inside Warmoth today

Wyliee said:
Just so long as you don't start shooting.  There are already a couple bullet holes in the building....

I'm a Texan and don't even own a gun.  Dangerous R6 has more than enough for the both of us.

Bulletholes?  With all of those tonewoods just laying around, I'd call them F-holes.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Bulletholes?  With all of those tonewoods just laying around, I'd call them F-holes.

How about "ballistic toneworms" ?

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I was joking too.  Even if they did them, most of us could/would never make it.  We didn't think you were rubbing it in, but we are envious.  Anything in particular that really stuck out as a, "Wow, that's how they do that" or "What are those for" moments?

OK, good.  It's hard to tell sometimes.  But if you really want to be envious then you should have seen me fondling a few of the exotic necks in the Showcase.  I may have drooled a bit.  :)

I can't recall anything in particular that I didn't understand.  I'm no luthier, but I have been in a woodshop before, and nothing stood out as mysterious.  But the machines they use for fingerboard radiusing and fret slotting were really cool to see.

The idea of the old man with fist in the air raised to the world in disgust is a funny visual though.  "You kids with your Zimas, skateboards, Pac-Man, and Dan Fogelberg records..."   Something to that effect.

It really is an awesome, fun place to work, and many aspects of it are very rewarding, creatively speaking, but it is still a very serious job that has to be taken seriously, and that can tend to be a bit of a "hair splitting" issue for some people.  It's an extremely high cost, low profit industry in general, and Ken is probably one of the very few people short of PRS, and maybe a small handful of other builders that have a similar size business (50 employees).  Everyone has to do their job and do it expertly well, or the whole process suffers for it.  One mistake can be very costly, I know, I've made a few of them. 

With that being said, I had the time of my life while working there, but it definitely had its stressful moments, after all, it is a high production customer service environment and if any of you have ever worked in one, especially one that cranks out the volume that Warmoth does, and does so with an English Only/Speaking staff on an international level, I'm sure you can appreciate all of the nuances that make Warmoth the success that it has been for the past 30 years.

Zima hasn't been made for a few years now, unless you live in Japan (and I know a couple people here do)

Back