I'll let them speak for themselves

dbw

Master Member
WN763A.jpg

LPCP178A.jpg

What do you think for pickups?  My first Warmoth is very smooth and creamy sounding... thought I'd go for more of a crunchy '58/'59 sound from this one... I was thinking BurstBuckers?

I knew you'd say that!  :)  I'm deciding between TX/BBQ, Pearly Gates, and BurstBuckers.

Dayummm!  DBW.  That body/neck combo is friggin brilliant.  I would go with Jack's suggestion. I did when he put forth the idea of throwing a Rio humbucker in my bastard Tele, and if it weren't for the Lollar P-90  in that same guitar, the Rio would be the single best pickup I have ever heard.  I am definitely sold on their Humbuckers!!!!  Congrats, man, that is going to be one killer build, whatever you decide to do.

guitlouie said:
That body/neck combo is friggin brilliant.

Thanks :)  I saw them in the showcase and HAD to have them... next month's credit card bill is going to sting, though.  :eek:

dbw said:
guitlouie said:
That body/neck combo is friggin brilliant.

Thanks :)  I saw them in the showcase and HAD to have them... next month's credit card bill is going to sting, though.   :eek:

I know both of those feelings!

Gonna make a great build, though.  :icon_thumright:

UFA! :D People here is helping me!!!!
I thought the same about the guitar, but I'm in a no-no-really-no condition to buy  :laughing7:

Yeah, nice parts!  Great eye!  We couldn't get the picture to look very good on that body but in person it is awesome. The color tones are really rich. I'll be watching for the finished pictures of that bad boy. Congratulations, it should really be amazing feel-wise and tone-wise.

Oh, DB, cool stuff! No ideas for your pickups - I'm putting a Jazz / PG combo in mine.

no bursbuckers! they sound nasal! like you've got your wahwah pedal still on, and halfway open.

for a screamin' tight sound: BBQ/TX? no. they are warm, tight, punchy, agressive, but not screaming or squeeling.

the pearly gates are very, very bright. imho, brighter than the JB.

I suggest the air norton; tight with high gain, loose with low gain. nice and mellow for jazz. great harmonics, nice dynamic sound, articulated. every nuance in your playing can and will be heard. for the neckposition, I recommend the air norton too. for some strange reason, there's no drop in output when switching from neck to bridge, when you use 2 air nortons. in the neck, the pickup is still articulated and dynamic, but now its very warm and mellow. its in my opinion, the best set, most allround set, for a les paul. especially with a set of push push pots for coiltap. great combination, great tone. when you use it with an ac30 or a plexi, its a nice led zep/thin lizzy/kossoff sound, with a jcm800, its sykes, metallica, zakk wylde, rhoads kind off sound. with a koch powertone or Supernova is just over the hill. Run to the hills! its just powerfull. not so much DC's, not a mega-big magnet, but still it has almost as much output as my motherbuckers, JB, iommi pickups or GFS crunchy rails.

I don't want screaming or squealing... I'm looking for the crunchy biting sounds like Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, and Slash get.  I love my SD '59 but it's too well-behaved... I want something raunchier for this guitar.

dbw said:
I don't want screaming or squealing... I'm looking for the crunchy biting sounds like Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, and Slash get.  I love my SD '59 but it's too well-behaved... I want something raunchier for this guitar.

DiMarzio Norton or Breed.

dbw said:

sorry, I didnt read or interpretate it correctly ;)

air norton is then still the way to go. the breed is too warm to get a raunchy sound, imho.

dbw said:
Aren't those high-output pickups?  (At least compared to PAFs)

Most of the DiMarzio PAFs are vintage output or moderate output.  The Norton is 352 mV in output, the Breed neck is 325 mV and the Breed bridge is 356 mV.  Contrast the X2N (510 mV) or the Evolution (404 mV).  The Norton and Breed neck are considered moderate output; the Breed bridge is considered high output, but just barely (4 mV difference compared with the Norton).

www.dimarzio.com

DocNrock said:
dbw said:
Aren't those high-output pickups?  (At least compared to PAFs)

Most of the DiMarzio PAFs are vintage output or moderate output.  The Norton is 352 mV in output, the Breed neck is 325 mV and the Breed bridge is 356 mV.  Contrast the X2N (510 mV) or the Evolution (404 mV).  The Norton and Breed neck are considered moderate output; the Breed bridge is considered high output, but just barely (4 mV difference compared with the Norton).

www.dimarzio.com

ho ho, wait:

output in voltage are NOT a guarantee for a 'hot' pickup!! i had the superdistortion, the x2n, and many others, but the air norton is hotter than those 2. that has to do with resonancepeak of the pickup. if the resonancepeak is in a specific range, your amp will amplify it, and your hearing picks up those frequencies easier, so the pickup seems hotter.

Back