If you could/had to start a tribute band, who...?

Given the limitations of only one artist's catalog, and assuming I were a much, much better guitar player, I would have to choose Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera. From the moment I heard "Oblivious" and "Walk Out to Winter" back in '82, Roddy has been my absolute favorite singer/songwriter. I know he's not really very well known, but the way he crafts his lyrics, the difficult chord structures and wide variety of styles would make for a very satisfying experience for me. All things being equal.

Where do you think the "anorak" came from? That's what we Roddy fans call ourselves. Like Deadheads.

Of course, none of our audiences would know any of the songs. No one would leave saying, "I can't believe they played 'Spanish Horses!' or I'm so glad they played "Good Morning, Britain!'" but I would love it. His voice is in my range, too!

Were I a woman, however, I would form an all-female Kiss tribute band. I even have a name that would sum up the band, and incorporate the "SS" part of the logo.

It's another word for "kitty."

I can honestly say I have never ever contemplated what kind of tribute band I would be in if I was a woman. The fact that you have a logo and everything kinda seems odd but to each his own. I think as a male I would like to make a Go-Gos tribute band or maybe L7. Of course I could always dress in drag and do a Hole tribute band. I could call it No Hole or something like that.

+1 to the R&B revue!  Ike & Tina?  James Brown?  Fontella Bass!  Marvin Gaye!

Also, definitely NOT AC/DC or The Doors.

Done. To. Death.

pabloman said:
I can honestly say I have never ever contemplated what kind of tribute band I would be in if I was a woman. The fact that you have a logo and everything kinda seems odd but to each his own. I think as a male I would like to make a Go-Gos tribute band or maybe L7. Of course I could always dress in drag and do a Hole tribute band. I could call it No Hole or something like that.

Actually, I thought of the band idea long before this thread appeared, and I hadn't before considered it from the angle if I were a woman. I would go see that band every time they played in my town.

I think that women, dressed and made up like the guys in Kiss would be a fun show. Doing the same songs and the same antics.

Well, I can do without the spitting blood. But breathing fire, that would be cool!

In all honesty, now that I think about it, I wouldn't want to be in ANY tribute band.  While I don't have anything against those who play in tribute bands, I really hold no interest in playing someone else's material...

Someone said Talking heads, I like that one, call the band  Fur Pajamas

DEVO  They actually have a lot of good stuff  of course the band name would be  Whip It

Loverboy      Loven every minute of it

Pick a band that hasn't already been covered a million times

Something like Yes or Spock's Beard...
but no one wants to listen to that and I can't play like that..

However, if I would start a YES coverband (Luke and I actually had that conversation just a couple of days ago), I would call it "that would be an ecumenical matter"

(I wonder if anybody will get it)

reinhold said:
Torment Leaves Scars said:
Alfang said:
Pick a band that hasn't already been covered a million times

Winger?   :cool01:

My friend's dad was the drum tech for winger, and he even would agree the world doesn't need that.

I didn't care much for the "Seventeen" crap, but I thought they had some good songs on their second and third records...

dNA said:
Modest Mouse. i pretty much learned how to play guitar by learning old modest mouse tunes. Isaac Brock is my favorite guitarist and favorite songwriter ever.

:hello2: :toothy12: :icon_thumright:  I love them.  So. Much.  But how the HELL would you ever find someone who could do that weird "I have split personalities and they are having an argument" style of singing.  I have tried to imitate how he sings, and it is pretty impossible. 

If I were in a tribute band, it would be a Decemberists tribute band.  I would call it The Youth & Beauty Brigade.  I could practically start it now, I know like 10 of their songs. 

Here's one that is way under appreciated; how bout The Zombies?  Great stuff man, but I hardly ever hear anyone bring them up.  Colin Blunstone had such a cool voice too.  Or The Kinks for that matter?  I could have a lot of fun jamming on All Day And All of the Night (still one of my favorite songs ever since I was 10) and Well Respected Man a few nights a week.

hannaugh said:
dNA said:
Modest Mouse. i pretty much learned how to play guitar by learning old modest mouse tunes. Isaac Brock is my favorite guitarist and favorite songwriter ever.

:hello2: :toothy12: :icon_thumright:  I love them.  So. Much.  But how the HELL would you ever find someone who could do that weird "I have split personalities and they are having an argument" style of singing.  I have tried to imitate how he sings, and it is pretty impossible. 

:blob7: I never expected to meet another fan on the forum. yay! Isaac's style is definitely inimitable. He was definitely something else when he was younger.
truth is that i wasn't thinking of a tribute band in a traditional sense, but like a cover band that interprets and reinvents their music rather than trying to recreate it to the last detail. i've had a lot of fun doing interpretive covers of Modest Mouse songs over the years and i've always found a unique creative voice in reworking their songs.

rock on with the Decemberists. I know all the words to "Mariner's Revenge Song" if you ever need a guest vocalist

Mariner's Revenge is super easy to play for guitar too, it's like 2 chords and that's about it because it's all accordion-driven.  The Decemberists are my favorite current band besides Andrew Bird, but no one can cover Andrew Bird.  Just getting the sound he gets with he gear would be really hard because of that Janus Horn thing, plus you have to be a whistling master AND classically trained violinist AND be really good at live-looping.  But The Decemberists wouldn't be that hard to do, and their songs are so awesome and fun to play. 

A year or two ago I was thinking it would be rad to do a gospel style version of Modest Mouse's The View with a huge choir.  I don't know why.  My favorite songs by them are Steam Engenius and The Good Times Are Killing Me.  I have a banjo that I hardly ever play because I'm too busy with guitar, but at some point I want to learn some of their banjo stuff, like Bukowski.

pabloman said:

How about an all male Donnas cover band called the Dons?

Okay, maybe not, but the Donnas rock!

Torment Leaves Scars said:
My friend's dad was the drum tech for winger, and he even would agree the world doesn't need that.

I had the pleasure of seeing Winger live in Glasgow. From a purely objective look, there are practically no amateur bands that can pull of what they did live. Regardless of whether you hate/like the music, the skills and experience of everyone involved was outstanding. They were very well rehearsed and extremely tight, I've yet to see any amateur/unsigned/underground touring band be on that level showmanship. So the ass in me thinks whenever someone chucks random insults at them, they are clearly ignorant of just how better winger are then any band they are likely to be involved in.  :laughing7:

Back