New original EP: These Rocks are Red for a Reason

At the very end of video #2 I was jamming on the bari in front of the camera and out popped that little riff.
I can imagine Aaron during the filming of the video:
--------------------
It gets to a lull in filming. He pauses...listens intently. The house is quiet. He doesn't move. Waiting for any sounds. Nothing. Maybe she went to the store? Maybe... He tiptoes around the house. Peeking around corners. No other signs of life. "YES!!!", he says to himself. He slinks back into the studio. Shuts the door. Picks up the baritone, turns the tuner knobs and starts releasing tension beginning with the low string. Tunes lower. Lower. Even LOWER... He continues until he reaches the familiar sound of Drop F#. The tuning that transports him to a different place and time! Finds the particularly nasty distorted preset on his FM3 that's simply called "WEZ". He strums the big low open chord, and turns up the volume. Louder and LOUDER...until the low F# is tickling the innards in the pit of his stomach. He closes his eyes, and a smile forms on his face, the kind that slowly disappears into a distorted frown.

Palm muting, on a single string, he begins. DEH..........DUN..DUN............DEH...............DUN...DUN
"That's it", he mutters. He begins again, but quietly this time. deh.......dun.dun..dee.........deh...dun..dee.........deh......dun.dun..dee.......deh...dun..dee
Progressively getting louder. The palm muting fades away. Next he's playing the chorded riff on two strings. Then THREE!!!!!
DEH..........DUN.DUN..DEE...........DEH...DUN..DEE
The noise is deafening. He repeats the riff over and over. His hands on autopilot, a flurry of syncopated ecstasy. When the words spew from his mouth, it's more like angry shouting than actual singing. The guitar is so loud he doesn't know if the strange guttural vitriol is coming from his own mouth, or if it's merely in his head;
"...I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE (FOR)...THE NOOKIE (FOR)... SO YOU CAN take that......."

The words trail off, and he eases back into the verse riff. But then. He hears a faint "clinking" during a pause in the riff. He stops immediately. "Damnit, she's home!!!" Frantically, he's stomping on switches (and pressing/holding), trying desperately to find that sweet sweet Dumble preset. One final 'click'...and he's there. He finishes tuning back up as she lightly knocks, slowly opens the door, and pops her head inside.

"Hey babe, I'm back", she says.
"HEY!!!...I mean, hey...", he swiftly quiets his voice back down to normal conversation level.
"What were you playing?" she asks. "It was really loud!"
"Oh...nuthin', I was just messing around."
"Hmm..... Okay. You want the door open or closed?"
"You can leave it open, thanks..." he replies.

She walks down the hall, humming to herself a distinctly Bizkitty tune.

He turns back around. Wipes his sweaty hands on his pants. The smile he used talking to his wife fades back to neutral. He speaks in a low voice under his breath like a Bond villain;
"Keep on pickin', Aaron. Keep.....on..........pickin!!!"
-------------------

And that, my friends, is the scene we WON'T be seeing in video #2!!!

Last edited:
I can imagine Aaron during the filming of the video:
--------------------
It gets to a lull in filming. He pauses...listens intently. The house is quiet. He doesn't move. Waiting for any sounds. Nothing. Maybe she went to the store? Maybe... He tiptoes around the house. Peeking around corners. No other signs of life. "YES!!!", he says to himself. He slinks back into the studio. Shuts the door. Picks up the baritone, turns the tuner knobs and starts releasing tension beginning with the low string. Tunes lower. Lower. Even LOWER... He continues until he reaches the familiar sound of Drop F#. The tuning that transports him to a different place and time! Finds the particularly nasty distorted preset on his FM3 that's simply called "WEZ". He strums the big low open chord, and turns up the volume. Louder and LOUDER...until the low F# is tickling the innards in the pit of his stomach. He closes his eyes, and a smile forms on his face, the kind that slowly disappears into a distorted frown.

Palm muting, on a single string, he begins. DEH..........DUN..DUN............DEH...............DUN...DUN
"That's it", he mutters. He begins again, but quietly this time. deh.......dun.dun..dee.........deh...dun..dee.........deh......dun.dun..dee.......deh...dun..dee
Progressively getting louder. The palm muting fades away. Next he's playing the chorded riff on two strings. Then THREE!!!!!
DEH..........DUN.DUN..DEE...........DEH...DUN..DEE
The noise is deafening. He repeats the riff over and over. His hands on autopilot, a flurry of syncopated ecstasy. When the words spew from his mouth, it's more like angry shouting than actual singing. The guitar is so loud he doesn't know if the strange guttural vitriol is coming from his own mouth, or if it's merely in his head;
"...I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE (FOR)...THE NOOKIE (FOR)... SO YOU CAN take that......."

The words trail off, and he eases back into the verse riff. But then. He hears a faint "clinking" during a pause in the riff. He stops immediately. "Damnit, she's home!!!" Frantically, he's stomping on switches (and pressing/holding), trying desperately to find that sweet sweet Dumble preset. One final 'click'...and he's there. He finishes tuning back up as she lightly knocks, slowly opens the door, and pops her head inside.

"Hey babe, I'm back", she says.
"HEY!!!...I mean, hey...", he swiftly quiets his voice back down to normal conversation level.
"What were you playing?" she asks. "It was really loud!"
"Oh...nuthin', I was just messing around."
"Hmm..... Okay. You want the door open or closed?"
"You can leave it open, thanks..." he replies.

She walks down the hall, humming to herself a distinctly Bizkitty tune.

He turns back around. Wipes his sweaty hands on his pants. The smile he used talking to his wife fades back to neutral. He speaks in a low voice under his breath like a Bond villain;
"Keep on pickin', Aaron. Keep.....on..........pickin!!!"
-------------------

And that, my friends, is the scene we WON'T be seeing in video #2!!!

You had me at "syncopated ecstasy".

I didn't have a chance to listen before today, but please allow me to join the throngs who reacted favorably to your music. This is great stuff.

Back