If you could/had to start a tribute band, who...?

stubhead

Master Member
This subject came up at a jammy type of thing - if you could only play one band's or writer's music in a band, who would it be? There's a few obvious choices out there - Bob Dylan if you wanted really interesting lyrics, the Beatles, if you wanted to play great guitar parts you might go for Yes, there would be serious consideration for Zeppelin... of course the Rolling Stones had a lot of great songs, but when you come down to it "Brown Sugar", "Start Me Up", "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll", "Honky Tonk Women"... well if you played them back to back there's a certain SAMENESS that sets in.  :laughing3:

The sort-of surprising almost-consensus for a writer of great songs for a rock band - that of course you could do anything to - was John Fogerty/CCR. That catalog is deep, man... you can write out a set list of twenty songs that are all rock 'n' roll classics, which is about double what I'd get rooting though the Stones, Zepp, Springsteen etc. Fogerty could use a 3 minute song to say what takes Springsteen 10 minutes, and Yes three album sides. If you can understand what they're saying at all. :toothy12:

Interesting topic. Maybe Midnight Oil, or Los Lobos. I also agree with  Fogerty/CCR; that's a good one.

Modest Mouse. i pretty much learned how to play guitar by learning old modest mouse tunes. Isaac Brock is my favorite guitarist and favorite songwriter ever.

Neil Young. Deep  huge catalog, all kinds of variety, some great lyrics, some weird shit, rock and roll, folking out, both.

I have played one gig in a Dylan tribute band, it was a blast. I do think he's the greatest figure in rock / popular music history. Also his autobiography is a damn fine read. Not so amazing from a guitar perspective of course.

If I could find someone to sing exactly like Emmylou Harris, then an Emmylou tribute band.

CCR is quite a choice, though. Can't knock that.

SRV or Hendrix for me. I actually considered trying to start one but as far as i know there's already one of each in the area.

The Smiths
Level 42
Living Colour

It doesn't necessarily mean that I think I have the chops to play in such a tribute band, but their music sure if fun to play.

King Crimson. I don't have anywhere near the skill to do it all, but music doesn't come better.

The Ramones, Violent Femmes, or Guns N Roses. The only G'N'R song my band would ever play besides a limb jam version of Paradise City was Nightrain.  Maybe a Social D cover band would be cool or rework a bunch of gangster rap for guitar.

The Wiggles   :laughing7: because I have one members name  :toothy11:

Talking Heads
Roxy Music
The Church
Cream
Icehouse
The Police

Goes with out saying Zep or Purple  ....  :icon_scratch:  Actually to many to name

A R&B Revue
there are so many good Blues and R&B songs, I think a double guitar lineup, great bassist, drums, full horn section, keyboard and 3 singers could round out a sound that would just be killer.
however 11 pieces would be hard to support.

I'd have to mix and match a bit. Beatles with a twist perhaps, SRV/Hendrix is a good idea too, Simon and Garfunkel for some variety, and some early Elvis Costello.

MAIDEN!  :headbang: :evil4:

I'll play Adrian Smith's parts and Ocrist can play Dave Murray's parts.  We'll leave Janick Gers parts out.

Hmm, difficult one.  Being that I'm not a real good guitar player, I don't think I'd do ANY band ANY justice while playing their music.  :tard:

Aside from my above statement, I'm going to with W.A.S.P., because I just like a lot of their older songs.  IMO, they really didn't have a bad song until their later years, after Chris Holmes had left.

GnR is good choice, Lynyrd Skynyrd too... Perhaps Pantera, but I'm not really interested in metal scene today (same for Metallica and BLS)...

Aerosmith is a late influence on me but Joe perry's tone is always amazing! ZZ Top also (But I would want 2 guitars!!)

And of course. The Beatles!!

Back