If you could add any Body/Neck Option(s) to Warmoth's selection..

Cagey said:
I don't know... The SG has a less-than-ideal neck joint that makes 'em kinda spongy, so they're typically pretty dead sounding.

:dontknow:  :icon_scratch: ???

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Cagey said:
I have a recent SG-style Melody Maker here that even with a Maple body and a Mahogany neck mated to a toasted Maple fretboard, it's the deadest thing in the house. I even put some stainless steel strings on it in an effort to breathe some life into it, but no joy.

Well there's your problem right there. It's a low end POS that would be about $300 if it was made in another country. Hell at that price point I might spring for one.

I've had two of the faded SG's and currently own a '62 LP Jr. None of 'em are anything resembling "spongy" or dead.

Cagey said:
I don't know... The SG has a less-than-ideal neck joint that makes 'em kinda spongy, so they're typically pretty dead sounding.
:icon_scratch: Yeah please explain ....

Cagey I can assure you that this isn't dead sounding  :icon_biggrin:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20346.0
Might just look it thou with the Skull inlay  :laughing7:

It is a low-end POS, made by Gibson.

Ok. Who wants to buy it? Comes with a free pick!

I replaced the shitty tuners with Schaller mini-lockers. I replaced the shitty bridge with a Schaller 456. I hid the ugly Gibson PAF-style pickup with a cover, so nobody would see what an awful job they did of that. I replaced the shitty volume knob with a knurled brass part. I replaced the shitty strap hangers with Schaller lockers.

Also has a nice gig bag. Kinda like to keep that, but I'll throw it in because it says "Gibson" on it, and I'd hate to give people the wrong impression.

It's blacker than black, except for the toasted Maple fretboard.

They only made 600 of them, and this is number 599.

IMG_2397_Sm.JPG

I'll let y'all fight out the pricing, but figure something north of $250 + shipping.

Updown said:
Cagey said:
:icon_scratch: Yeah please explain ....

Cagey I can assure you that this isn't dead sounding  :icon_biggrin:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20346.0
Might just look it thou with the Skull inlay  :laughing7:

I'm sure it sounds great, and it certainly looks great, but that's not a Gibson. It doesn't have their shallow glued-on neck, or any of their other deficiencies. I'd take that unit RFN. I love the SG presentation, and especially the way you've done it. I just don't like how Gibson implements it.

Thought you must have been talking about a Gibbo  :doh:

Cagey said:
Ok. Who wants to buy it? Comes with a free pick!

They only made 600 of them, and this is number 599.
Oh Bummer  :sad:

If only it was number 598 .... I'd grab it  :icon_biggrin:

How old is the pick ?  :laughing7:

Updown said:
If only it was number 598 .... I'd grab it  :icon_biggrin:
How old is the pick ?  :laughing7:

I understand.

The pick is a genuine 1957 Dunlop Tortex .88mm unit, only used on Sundays to play hymns like "Satch Boogie" and "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?"

It's pretty special. I always wash my hands before I put it in my mouth, in order to preserve its harmonic qualities.

I always wash my hands before I put it in my mouth, in order to preserve its harmonic qualities.  :icon_thumright:  :laughing7:

My first good guitar was a 1968 SG, and being like 1974ish, there wasn't the incredible attention to minutia that now rules the roost. It was quite enough that Clapton used it as a mainstay in Cream, Garcia recorded one of his most inspired performances EVER with one - no technique (yet) but Yiminy, dude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldoaglz7Qcg

As a deadicated proponent of ongoing education though, I would appreciate it if you can point out the moments at which the SG neck joint diminishes this performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_pDjX65vHo

Due to human nature and the incredible importance of EVERYTHING that happens to you when you're 14, I will always have a soft spot in my head for the SG, dude. I know the necks fall off, mine did; like, what's the problem?  :icon_scratch:

Kathy L. stuck her tongue in my ear that year too, which is actually kind of disgusting (my ear, not that tongue she was sportin') and can I ever forget THAT?  :hello2:

(so NOW can we renew the prize for Greatest Topic Drift o' de Month? {GTOD'M})

I can't fault Carlos' tone.

Speaking of oral ear inspections in '74, it was Ruby G. for me. Loved that girl with all my heart. We were doing regular breast examinations before they even invented breast cancer.

StubHead said:
Due to human nature and the incredible importance of EVERYTHING that happens to you when you're 14, I will always have a soft spot in my head for the SG, dude. I know the necks fall off, mine did; like, what's the problem?  :icon_scratch:

LOL - I've been saying this a while. Never heard anyone put it exactly the same way. What you're listening to at 14 pretty much forever defines good music. My parents were right that they stopped making good music. They just got the dates wrong. Whats even more interesting, is for me at least: I didn't discover a lot of '83-'86 music until several years later (when I got a car with a radio).

If I could name any Warmoth options for body or neck or a few other preferences:

1. I would add standard humbucker routes on the Tele Deluxe body as an option so there wasnt so much wood carved out for those GOD Awfull (IMO).... Wide Range Humbuckers that come standard with it originally....

2. I would have Warmoth contract with 20 different bridge makers to have plenty of Bridge options for purchase direct from Warmoth and have each of them CNC Programmed into their production so a guy like me who likes Hipshot bridges dosnt have to send the bridge in for a custom route option.....heck I dont mind the $45 upcharge I just dont want to have to send my bridge in to place my order....

3. I would create a heelless neck body or an actual 24 3/4" Neck/Body for true Gibson Specs so the LP was a real LP repro. not an odd neck scale retrofit for a 25 1/2" Fender scale.

4. Nitro would be an option so I wouldnt have to farm my body or neck out for Real Vintage finishes.

5. I woud offer the best Pickups from a variety of sources direct from Warmoth as an option....Bare Knuckle, Lollar...etc. etc. 

6. I would offer a full scale variety of the best hardware made for guitars and bases....especially GOTOH  top of the line tuners and parts..including 550K pots for high tolerances  to go with my customers pricey high quality guitar Necks and Bodies....

That being said, I will be a Warmoth fanboy for life, because they do it better than anybody in terms of quality and quantity and options offered.... :icon_smile:

Don't know if this has been covered but I'd like to see a body and neck option that covers a 25.5" scale and 24 frets without having to resort to an overly long fretboard/shelf (parts to build a Dinky clone)

Neo Fender said:
Don't know if this has been covered but I'd like to see a body and neck option that covers a 25.5" scale and 24 frets without having to resort to an overly long fretboard/shelf (parts to build a Dinky clone)

add that to my list as well.... :icon_thumright:

Another option that would be easy to do is mini dot fret inlays. A dot inlay about halfway between the normal size and a side dot. I've seen them before but I can't remember on what guitars.

Patriot54 said:
Another option that would be easy to do is mini dot fret inlays. A dot inlay about halfway between the normal size and a side dot. I've seen them before but I can't remember on what guitars.

Are you thinking EBMM-style dot inlays?

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_515550.071.063_candy_red_mp.jpg

Back