Idly musing over an LP build

jtroska said:
I had almost the exact same experience with my Gibson Les Paul.  I love the bad ass look of those things but Gibson does some shoddy work putting them together.  Still, I love the look and the way they hang when strapped on. 

A few years ago I had a chunk of cash burning a hole in my pocket, and went to the local branch of a now-out-of-business musical instrument chain, looking for an LP. I wound up walking out of the store with all of my money, and embarrassed the sales guy there by telling him why - Not a single one of the 10 or so LPs they had on display was playable. They had bad fret jobs, necks with obvious humps, gritty feeling controls, lame pickups - The list went on, and the list price for some of these boat anchors was just south of $3000. Insane.

That's one reason why my "LP" is a PRS Singlecut. IMO, this is why Gibson sued PRS over the Singlecut a couple of years ago. Too many guys made the same decision I did, and Gibson decided to try and beat PRS with litigation rather than product quality. Fortunately, for all of us, Gibson lost on appeal (in all senses of the word).

MDVermette said:
jtroska said:
I had almost the exact same experience with my Gibson Les Paul.  I love the bad ass look of those things but Gibson does some shoddy work putting them together.  Still, I love the look and the way they hang when strapped on. 

A few years ago I had a chunk of cash burning a hole in my pocket, and went to the local branch of a now-out-of-business musical instrument chain, looking for an LP. I wound up walking out of the store with all of my money, and embarrassed the sales guy there by telling him why - Not a single one of the 10 or so LPs they had on display was playable. They had bad fret jobs, necks with obvious humps, gritty feeling controls, lame pickups - The list went on, and the list price for some of these boat anchors was just south of $3000. Insane.

That's one reason why my "LP" is a PRS Singlecut. IMO, this is why Gibson sued PRS over the Singlecut a couple of years ago. Too many guys made the same decision I did, and Gibson decided to try and beat PRS with litigation rather than product quality. Fortunately, for all of us, Gibson lost on appeal (in all senses of the word).

QFT!!!!!

my les pauls, gibsons, are all 70ies, but one is a special one, a 1994 centennial. that was just lucky; it sounds like a real custom, eventhough its just a studio. my other les pauls are all warmoth. I once tried a PRS with a rosewood neck, and since that day I dont want anything else but raw necks.

Um, Orpheo, HOW many Les Paul - types do you own, between warmoth gibson and PRS? I knew you had like 7 W Lps, but 70s gibsons too?
I'm afraid you may have a terminal case of GAS almost as bad as Jack's.

Back