I finished my 1st Strat project including painting.

rolloman

Just completed my first Custom Strat. Also my first paint job performed on a guitar. I am really, really pleased how it turned out. I just noticed those splotchy looking places on the top of the body are reflections of the leaves. Lol I need some photography lessons.

Heres a pic of it.
PB160002_zps1442bbc8.jpg

Complete set of construction photos plus more completed pictures.
http://s762.photobucket.com/user/jimgmaher/library/MY%20DREAM%20STRAT?sort=6&page=1

WARMOTH NECK: Style: Stratocaster®: Pro Construction, Maple/Indian Rosewood, Nut Width: 1-11/16", Back Shape: Standard Thin, Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless), Tuner Ream: Sperzel (25/64"), Radius: 10-16 compound, Scale: 25-1/2", Fret #: 22, Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut,
Inlays: Cream Face Dots, White Side Dots, Finish: No Finish
WARMOTH BODY: Model: Chambered Stratocaster® Scale: 25-1/2",
Wood; Quilt Maple on Swamp Ash, Rout: Top Rout, Pickup Rout: Strat®, Strat®, Humbucker, Controls: None, Bridge: Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo,
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout, Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Finish: No Finish
TREMOLO: Callaham Vintage S Model Strat Bridge Assembly
PICKUPS: Lindy Fralin Blues Specials with 2% underwound neck.
Tremolo springs: KGC Raw Vintage Tremolo springs.
Tremolo Stop: KGC Mega-Stop
Tuners: Sperzel 6L T/L S/C (6 inline, locking, staggered, brushed chrome}
Warmoth Custom Pickguard: Color: Cream/Black/Cream,
Volume, Tone: 5 Way Switch,
Countersink: SRV Countersink, Bridge Cut: Standard Bridge Cut,
Mounting Holes: 11 Hole
Volume Control: Fender S1 switch. 250K switches in bridge pickup for bridge/neck, or bridge/middle/neck.
Tone Control: Bourns 250K with push/pull switch for .047 or .1 ufd. caps.
Strap Locks: Dunlop

This link is what I followed for preparing the wood and the painting the colors. http://www.reranch.com/solids.htm
Then when I went to the clear coats I followed these instructions here.
http://www.lmii.com/nitrocellulose-lacquer-solvent-based

At first I thought "hey cool, I didn't know Warmoth offered that kind of black masked binding between a natural top and a painted body", then I browsed the pics and... wow  :eek:

Excellent job, lots of great ideas and stellar results. Congrats!

croquet hoop said:
At first I thought "hey cool, I didn't know Warmoth offered that kind of black masked binding between a natural top and a painted body", then I browsed the pics and... wow  :eek:

Excellent job, lots of great ideas and stellar results. Congrats!
Thanks everyon for the kind words. I thought and thought about whether to do something with that joint. Decided on black then when I looked in my Mixol pigments I did not have any. Researched and learned that I could mix equal parts of the 4 primary colors to make black. So I did and it worked. Learn something every day.

You are most definitely the only kid on your block with a guitar like that.  Looks like a boat floating in the aquamarine water of the Caribbean.
IMG_20631.jpg

haha Bagman67 I think you are right. lol  I wish I could put it in the GOM this month. I will wait until it is eligible.

I'm not a big fan of seafoam green, but damn, that looks nice ... and the seafoam green is actually a part of what makes it look nice.

Hay your whole construction photos were great! I really enjoyed em. I always feel intimidated at the thought of finishing a guitar. It really helps seeing all those steps. Makes me wanna give er a go. Thanks for the pics.

Heres the finishing instructions that I followed. 

http://www.reranch.com/solids.htm

http://www.lmii.com/nitrocellulose-lacquer-solvent-based

While I am not a fan of the overall look, I HIGHLY admire the creativity and quality of the finish.  Just because it is not of my taste, doesn't mean it does not rock.  WELL done!!!

DMRACO said:
While I am not a fan of the overall look, I HIGHLY admire the creativity and quality of the finish.  Just because it is not of my taste, doesn't mean it does not rock.  WELL done!!!

Thanks DMRACO. i am so glad about how my finish came out too. i learned shortcuts don't work on any step along the way. lol  i think I accomplished what I was looking for in getting a unique looking strat for sure. Something people would either really like the looks of or not helps verify that. Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to hear from someone that appreciates the work that goes into something like this.

That must have taken a lot of work, and an unusual finish.  But I also admire the work put in and doing something off the conventional path.

Great job,  :eek:ccasion14:

I think it looks great and you did a fantastic job, I was thinking we have a new Tonar Jr. here.

Then I read "here's the instructions I followed" or to that effect, and my jaw dropped. To me it looks like you've done this before.

I bet your pumped to do another one?

Alfang said:
  I think it looks great and you did a fantastic job, I was thinking we have a new Tonar Jr. here.

Then I read "here's the instructions I followed" or to that effect, and my jaw dropped. To me it looks like you've done this before.
I bet your pumped to do another one?
Thanks. It really is my first. Anything I learned came from the model RC airplane building I did about 10 yrs ago.
I was painting a Butterscotch Tele alongside this one also to give a friend. . I am excited about a very unique tele that I am building for myself. I have all the parts purchased and I have finished the neck. The body just needs painted and then assembled.

You've got what it takes...very nice work.  If you happen to have a photo of one your planes, photobucket it. Those things are awesome.

Very nice.

Just a heads up for future reference; soldering guns are not appropriate for guitar wiring jobs. Their magnetic fields can damage pickups, and they are usually far too hot for soldering on pots.

Back