HSS idea

bidao

Hey guys, I'm new on the forum, how are you?

I was checking out HSS strats the other day and saw all those cons, most about the different volume pot for humbuckers and single coils, then an idea crossed my mind
Why not do a volume-volume-tone wiring, it would "fix" that 250k vs 500k problem
That came to me because i have a vol-vol-tone LP with only one emg, and the output "loudness" of each are very discrepant

Has anyone tried that? Would there be a volume difference between the pickups on 10?
Just wondering, thanks in advance

People tend to put WAY too much thought into pot values. It just makes for a tad more or less treble. Nothing to get crazy about.

FWIW though, mixing pot values is quite common when you have pickups of different output impedances. Some like to make one pickup a touch darker than the other when soloing pickups by using a lower resistance volume pot.

Thanks man, I had searched the web and nothing was really clarifying about what specifically was the "problem" between pots.
If the deal is the tone, you can just get an over or under wounded pup, right?

FWIW I have Lace holy grails in the neck and middle and a Lace Dually red/silver sensor humbucker in the bridge with a volume and a tbx master tone.  I don't have any problems with volume difference between my pickups.  Just adjust the pickup heights to have them the way you want.

There is absolutely no "problem" at all with this "issue". Just use 500k pots and forget about it, you'll never notice the difference. It is one of the least important things you can worry about. 500k pots in ALL of my guitars no matter what actually - why should I lose treble before the signal even gets to the pedals?  If it's a tiny bit brighter than you like, it is possible to touch your amps treble control a millimeter or so. Literally.

tfarny said:
There is absolutely no "problem" at all with this "issue". Just use 500k pots and forget about it, you'll never notice the difference. It is one of the least important things you can worry about. 500k pots in ALL of my guitars no matter what actually - why should I lose treble before the signal even gets to the pedals?  If it's a tiny bit brighter than you like, it is possible to touch your amps treble control a millimeter or so. Literally.

Precisely.

bidao said:
Hey guys, I'm new on the forum, how are you?

I was checking out HSS strats the other day and saw all those cons, most about the different volume pot for humbuckers and single coils, then an idea crossed my mind
Why not do a volume-volume-tone wiring, it would "fix" that 250k vs 500k problem
That came to me because i have a vol-vol-tone LP with only one emg, and the output "loudness" of each are very discrepant

Has anyone tried that? Would there be a volume difference between the pickups on 10?
Just wondering, thanks in advance

I don't see any "problem" to be corrected. My H-S-S Strat has a 500k volume pot. I use 500k volume pots for all my guitars, regardless of whether they have humbuckers or single-coils. They sound great. Of course if your preference is to wire a guitar according to the idea you presented, you can certainly do that. I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Thanks guys, it was really helpful to know that the difference between pot # are just tone, i like the way tfarny and Steve St.Laurent look into it :icon_thumright:

Back